Punk war

Lozzer
First Only Gay

Punk war

Post by Lozzer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:33 pm

A facebook argument between my 'punk' lodger and I, which also includes his fellow 'punk friends'.

Who's right?
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Punk is dead.
2 hours ago · Delete
Tom Spencer
Tom Spencer
ignorance
2 hours ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Ahh but the punk subculture movement of 1970s is. The niche for punk music was superseded by death metal among others.
2 hours ago · Delete
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Oh er we go...... Yawn yawn lozz... Pmsl!
2 hours ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
I couldn't help myself :/
2 hours ago · Delete
Isaac Zookdeini North
Isaac Zookdeini North
Hows it going? U still coming tomora? Tobys back tonight. Punk is an ethic as mutch as it is a music and so livs on in our hearts n minds!
about an hour ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Yeaaaaa! Wot he sed....! Lol
39 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Ah punk as a philosophy? But punk is an anti-philosophy ;)
32 minutes ago · Delete
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Yes! Just as I thought!
29 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Although to a certain degree, its like most hedonist youth subcultures of today.But maybe with slight difference, the difference being punk is probably more existentialist nihilist. Do you agree? lmao :D
23 minutes ago · Delete
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
......... Erm....... Of course?? Lol can u not tel im just ridiculasly bored?????? Pmsl
21 minutes ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Yes but lozz, do u know about gel nails n weaves??????
19 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
No :/
19 minutes ago · Delete
Tom Spencer
Tom Spencer
lozz you obvs no nothing of punk if you can norrow mindedly define it
18 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Then define it.
17 minutes ago · Delete
Tom Spencer
Tom Spencer
you cant
16 minutes ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wel i know everythin! so ther! boff man aint so gud now! where u at lozz? where u at?!?! Pmsl
16 minutes ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Oh do stop suckin each other off boys....!
15 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
Without definition, it has no nature, without any nature, it hasn't any existence. So punk is dead.
14 minutes ago · Delete
Tom Spencer
Tom Spencer
you jus dont understand it so you have to get interlectual bout it. jus like you and religion
14 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
How can I understand it, how can you understand it, if you can't define it? No, quite the opposite, its because I understand religion that I deplore it.
12 minutes ago · Delete
Tom Spencer
Tom Spencer
lol if you understood we wudnt be having this discussion
12 minutes ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
V true??
10 minutes ago
Dave Evans
Dave Evans
Long live punk. Lozz shut the fuck up. Lol
7 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
But the burdens on you to define it Spence ;)
6 minutes ago · Delete
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
PUNK--- people wiv pointy hair, usually green or pink, trousers that look like womens tights, big shoes or boots, sumtimes leather stuff..... THERE! DONE! Lol
4 minutes ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
You win :/
3 minutes ago · Delete
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Punk is random, u cant define it! It is described as running a race wiv a broken leg....
2 minutes ago
Isaac Zookdeini North
Isaac Zookdeini North
Shit im too high! Its the giv a fuck attitude i like, u can apply it to so mutch
2 minutes ago
Sami Ecob
Sami Ecob
Dam rite I do! Lol
about a minute ago
Lozzer Mcalindon
Lozzer Mcalindon
lol now that's punk. However, how can it simultaneously be both apathetic yet anti-establishment at the same time? The latter requires people to care.
41 seconds ago · Delete
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeee

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Re: Punk war

Post by Pappa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:38 am

I'd say you're wrong. Punk is and always was an ethic, not a musical style.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:42 am

Pappa wrote:I'd say you're wrong. Punk is and always was an ethic, not a musical style.
Care to define the "ethic"?

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

And now they use it to sell cosmetics

"Because you're worth it ££££££"
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 am

AshtonBlack wrote:
Pappa wrote:I'd say you're wrong. Punk is and always was an ethic, not a musical style.
In the case of Punk, a DIY attitude to life, anti-consumerism, anarchism, squatting, violence as a meant to political ends, anti-fashion, apoliticism / political apathy, nihilism, etc.

Much of it may have been pulling in different directions as there was never one single entity called punk either, and punks may have been naive or hypocritical at times too (particularly with regards to anti-fashion / anti-consumerism). Pop-punk was just as valid too, but lacked most of the ideological aspects (being mostly about teenagers falling in love).

So perhaps it would be better to say anarcho-punk was an ethic, rather than a musical style. It led on to the illegal rave scene in the 80s and much of the protest movements of the 90s are linked to it too (Reclaim the Streets, Carnival Against Capitalism, etc.).

As I mentioned recently, I think it still exists musically in stuff like the Prodigy (and a lot more).

Then there's the actual modern musical Punk like Green Day, which I see as an extension of pop punk, but equally as valid now as it was when the Buzzcocks and Undertones were doing it.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 pm

AshtonBlack wrote:
It is my contention that some may have seen it as an "ethic" but to the vast majority, it was a teenage angst fad (they would possibly disagree), like rock n' roll in the generation before and metal/grunge/goth in the subsequent generations.
Punk is not dead, but it is consigned to be in the same "club" as Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll. Today it's just another genre.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Rock and roll will never die.
Ever done something just because you can? That's rock and roll.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."