Stone Age Murder: Spear Wound Shows Human Killed Neanderthal

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Newly analyzed remains suggest that a modern human killed a Neanderthal man in what is now Iraq between 50,000 and 75,000 years ago.

The finding is scant but tantalizing evidence for a theory that modern humans helped to kill off the Neanderthals.

The probable weapon of choice: A thrown spear.

The evidence: A lethal wound on the remains of a Neanderthal skeleton.

The victim: A 40- to 50-year-old male, now called Shanidar 3, with signs of arthritis and a sharp, deep slice in his left ninth rib.

"What we've got is a rib injury, with any number of scenarios that could explain it," said study researcher Steven Churchill, an associate professor of evolutionary anthropology at Duke University in North Carolina. "We're not suggesting there was a blitzkrieg, with modern humans marching across the land and executing the Neandertals [aka Neanderthals]. I want to say that loud and clear."

But he added, "We think the best explanation for this injury is a projectile weapon, and given who had those and who didn't, that implies at least one act of inter-species aggression."

(Balance of article at URL above.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Mallardz
Definitely not Even Liam!

Re: Stone Age Murder: Spear Wound Shows Human Killed Neanderthal

Post by Mallardz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Like on the kids show I saw that time
Ratz it's more addictive than facebook and more fun than crack!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Maybe he was going for a shit behind a bush when a stray spear from one of his hunting pals aiming for a prehistoric rabbit ancestor that ran into said bush?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Animavore wrote:Maybe he was going for a shit behind a bush when a stray spear from one of his hunting pals aiming for a prehistoric rabbit ancestor that ran into said bush?
The source is Fox News, so the crime is murder. No accidents allowed on that channel. Nor the possibility that the doer was another Neanderthal.

cowiz
Shirley
About me: Head up a camels arse

Post by cowiz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 pm

We humans just love to destroy other cultures and ecosystems - I am not surprised that we had a go at the poor old Neanderthal.

I hope to fuck that as we push out into deep space that we don't come across an alien society with a lesser developed technology than ours - the poor fuckers won't stand a chance. We will slaughter them with impunity (and with big guns too) :nono:
It's a piece of piss to be cowiz, but it's not cowiz to be a piece of piss. Or something like that.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Animavore wrote:Maybe he was going for a shit behind a bush when a stray spear from one of his hunting pals aiming for a prehistoric rabbit ancestor that ran into said bush?
The source is Fox News, so the crime is murder. No accidents allowed on that channel. Nor the possibility that the doer was another Neanderthal.
Probably some liberal pot smoking atheist who lives in his mom's basement :nono:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Animavore wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Probably some liberal pot smoking atheist who lives in his mom's basement :nono:
The Old Hippie Syndrome. The curse of "middle America". :lay: :lay: :lay: :lay: