Polyglots?

How Many Extra (ie Not Including Your First Language) Languages Can You Speak?

One.
23%
Two.
33%
Three.
28%
Four.
2%
Five.
5%
More than five.
9%

Total votes: 43

Beelzebub2
Oiled Hunk

Re: Polyglots?

Post by Beelzebub2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Deersbee wrote:Beelzebub2 wrote:
Also reading on various Wiki articles on any subject in the language of interest and then opting for the multilingual options.
A good idea! I learned a great deal of Slovene by reading every day my horoscope in a Slovene online newspaper (for a while).
Cool! :tup:

I've been using a lot of on-line teach yourself sites in either Italian or Spanish (Imparare Spagnolo/aprender Italiano for instance), since they are of my primary interest, and then extending it to the other Romance languages.

Like this: http://www.auladiez.com/spagnolo.html / http://www.aulafacil.com/Italiano/Cursoital.htm

Also multilingual dictionaries are of great help - such as The Free Dictionary

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:36 am

Many thanks for the advice FBM - I must try harder. One resource I have found is this http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/home.php which gives a weekly podcast of the news read in slow clear Spanish - I guess it's the kind of thing you're suggesting. Of course now that I've found it, it would help if I listened to it from time to time.
Svartalf wrote:LOL...FBM, there's no way I'll improve my spanish by imitating what I'm exposed to.

What I studied in school was formal Castillan, and that's still the model I look for in grammar and pronunciation. Trouble is that, of late, all my exposure to "Spanish" (I can't even regard it as such myself) I've had was deep south, small town Andalucian that is weird on every level... I don't have as much difficulty dealing with the enforced specificity of Catalan dialect... and of course, for some weird reason, I seem to have more of an affinity for Galician and Portuguese anyway, which is not saying much given that I neither study, nor ever get to practice those.
I live in a small, inland Andalucian village and I agree entirely - it's impossible. I think that this, plus slight deafness, doesn't help my listening skills. When I visit my niece in Madrid she laughs at my pronunciation - I guess I sound a bit like Justin Lee Collins to her. Castellano or international Spanish is so much easier.

Incidentally I used to be fluent in French. Now, although I can understand it readily enough, I can't speak a word of it - I lapse straight into Spanish. I guess it's an age thing.

Eriku
About me: Mostly harmless...

Post by Eriku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 am

So here's a slight derail: any of you lot engage in somniloquys in your second/third/whatever language? I'm prone to talking in my sleep in both Norwegian and English.

This MIGHT just be a bad excuse to use the word somniloquy... I love it loads ♥ and I've trouble discerning my real motives at times.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

No somniloquies from me that I know of, but I find myself regularly thinking, or speaking aloud to myself, in English.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 am

chaggle wrote:Many thanks for the advice FBM - I must try harder. One resource I have found is this http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/home.php which gives a weekly podcast of the news read in slow clear Spanish - I guess it's the kind of thing you're suggesting. Of course now that I've found it, it would help if I listened to it from time to time.
Svartalf wrote:LOL...FBM, there's no way I'll improve my spanish by imitating what I'm exposed to.

What I studied in school was formal Castillan, and that's still the model I look for in grammar and pronunciation. Trouble is that, of late, all my exposure to "Spanish" (I can't even regard it as such myself) I've had was deep south, small town Andalucian that is weird on every level... I don't have as much difficulty dealing with the enforced specificity of Catalan dialect... and of course, for some weird reason, I seem to have more of an affinity for Galician and Portuguese anyway, which is not saying much given that I neither study, nor ever get to practice those.
I live in a small, inland Andalucian village and I agree entirely - it's impossible. I think that this, plus slight deafness, doesn't help my listening skills. When I visit my niece in Madrid she laughs at my pronunciation - I guess I sound a bit like Justin Lee Collins to her. Castellano or international Spanish is so much easier.

Incidentally I used to be fluent in French. Now, although I can understand it readily enough, I can't speak a word of it - I lapse straight into Spanish. I guess it's an age thing.

If it were truly impossible to learn by the Natural Approach in the environments mentioned above, then the children who grow up in those environments would not only be illiterate, they'd be incapable of speaking or comprehending the spoken language. The Natural Approach is based on the way the human brain evolved hardware for language acqusition. It is possible to take advantage of your brain's hardwiring, even as an adult, if you understand the principles involved, how to apply them, and then actually do apply them with consistency and diligence. The Natural Approach should be the main course, with memorizing vocabulary and grammar as side dishes. The problem with traditional language pedagogy is that it reverses the above priorities. You wind up knowing more about the language than being able to use it.

If you distinguish between language acqusition and language learning, that might help. Children acquire their mother tongues; we learn language in schools. The former is subconscious learning and it results in a high degree of accuracy in both receptive and productive skills, as well as developing intuition about new language items that may pop up. The latter is conscious learning and doesn't lead to native-speaker fluency. That's not to say that you can't become a fluent communicator that way, only that it's less efficient and less accurate. Children are already fluent in their mother tongue before they get to elementary school (with the age-appropriate vocabulary, of course).
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 am

FBM wrote:
Seriously, though, reading skill isn't a good indication of speaking skill. I have a lot of students who score very highly on the TOEIC test but can't get past "My name is..." in oral communication.
I couldn't agree more. I obtained a Master's in English Philology without having set foot in an English-speaking country, learned English through reading and writing only, sat for exams in Old English and English literature, wrote academic papers, etc. What happened when I finally did set foot in the UK: I did not feel language-competent at all; worse still, I did not understand well the spoken language. My, was that an awful feeling! I wanted to tear up my diploma! Only when I went to Devon to stay with a family with small kids and dogs did things improve, and improve they did quickly. But I'm still better at reading and writing than at speaking.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:33 am

FBM wrote:
Kimpatsu wrote:
FBM wrote:I guess it depends on how well you have to speak it to be considered "able to speak" a language.
As a rule of thumb, I say you should be able to read a daily newspaper without resorting to a dictionary.
Ah. In that case, stratch English off my list. ;)

Seriously, though, reading skill isn't a good indication of speaking skill. I have a lot of students who score very highly on the TOEIC test but can't get past "My name is..." in oral communication.

Receptive skills: Listening and Reading.

Productive skills: Speaking and Writing.

Very distinct skill sets. [/pedantry] :pardon:
And that pedantry is spot on. Especially if one has a tolerably solid knowledge of one or two languages in a language family, reading and listening to their "sister" or "cousin" languages can be surprisingly easy (minus puns and idioms, of course). Like I learned both Swedish (at home) and Norwegian (in the yard) before I turned 10, and studied Swedish in secondary school for seven years before getting a nursing degree in a Swedish-speaking school. Because of this, reading Danish (which I have never studied for a day and of which don't even own a dictionary) is fairly easy.

As I also learned English (at kindergarten and in the yard) and German (at my aunt's) before I turned 12, and later studied English for 12 years in primary and secondary school and German for two years in college, reading Dutch is not that hard.

But I would not dream of claiming I really know Danish or Dutch - I cannot speak them, even less write. I can get the general gist of a discussion (live or movie) and understand people who are speaking directly to me slowly, and I can find my way around e.g. at airports and on web sites in those languages, but that is all.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Eriku

Post by Eriku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:15 pm

FBM wrote:
chaggle wrote:Many thanks for the advice FBM - I must try harder. One resource I have found is this http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/home.php which gives a weekly podcast of the news read in slow clear Spanish - I guess it's the kind of thing you're suggesting. Of course now that I've found it, it would help if I listened to it from time to time.

If it were truly impossible to learn by the Natural Approach in the environments mentioned above, then the children who grow up in those environments would not only be illiterate, they'd be incapable of speaking or comprehending the spoken language. The Natural Approach is based on the way the human brain evolved hardware for language acqusition. It is possible to take advantage of your brain's hardwiring, even as an adult, if you understand the principles involved, how to apply them, and then actually do apply them with consistency and diligence. The Natural Approach should be the main course, with memorizing vocabulary and grammar as side dishes. The problem with traditional language pedagogy is that it reverses the above priorities. You wind up knowing more about the language than being able to use it.

If you distinguish between language acqusition and language learning, that might help. Children acquire their mother tongues; we learn language in schools. The former is subconscious learning and it results in a high degree of accuracy in both receptive and productive skills, as well as developing intuition about new language items that may pop up. The latter is conscious learning and doesn't lead to native-speaker fluency. That's not to say that you can't become a fluent communicator that way, only that it's less efficient and less accurate. Children are already fluent in their mother tongue before they get to elementary school (with the age-appropriate vocabulary, of course).
I very much agree with you. As I've previously mentioned I've had German in school for five years, wheras I had a short stint in South America which forced me to try my hand at Spanish and Portuguese... The difference in how quickly I learnt when I was just immersed and trying to make sense of things like a child would (though I of course also utilised dictionaries and asking people in English, at times) was absolutely incredible... six months nearly trumped five years of schooling.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Eriku wrote:I very much agree with you. As I've previously mentioned I've had German in school for five years, wheras I had a short stint in South America which forced me to try my hand at Spanish and Portuguese... The difference in how quickly I learnt when I was just immersed and trying to make sense of things like a child would (though I of course also utilised dictionaries and asking people in English, at times) was absolutely incredible... six months nearly trumped five years of schooling.
My university students have the same experience. They get to their freshman year with at least 10 years of "English education", beginning in elementary school. Can't make a sentence. Many of them take a semester off school and spend it in an English-speaking country, come back and perform like champs. Can't beat immersion.
Ronja wrote:And that pedantry is spot on. Especially if one has a tolerably solid knowledge of one or two languages in a language family, reading and listening to their "sister" or "cousin" languages can be surprisingly easy (minus puns and idioms, of course). Like I learned both Swedish (at home) and Norwegian (in the yard) before I turned 10, and studied Swedish in secondary school for seven years before getting a nursing degree in a Swedish-speaking school. Because of this, reading Danish (which I have never studied for a day and of which don't even own a dictionary) is fairly easy.

As I also learned English (at kindergarten and in the yard) and German (at my aunt's) before I turned 12, and later studied English for 12 years in primary and secondary school and German for two years in college, reading Dutch is not that hard.

But I would not dream of claiming I really know Danish or Dutch - I cannot speak them, even less write. I can get the general gist of a discussion (live or movie) and understand people who are speaking directly to me slowly, and I can find my way around e.g. at airports and on web sites in those languages, but that is all.

As long as my pedantry is being endured... :shifty: ...Sounds like home, the schoolyard and your aunt's place taught you more than the classrooms, eh? One of the key elements that Krashen introduced was that the target material and the acqusition activity must be personally meaningful to the student, as well as applicable to practical needs. That means creating a learning environment that mimics real life as much as possible. The old teacher-focused classroom is seen as an obstacle to acqusition more than anything else.
Deersbee wrote:I couldn't agree more. I obtained a Master's in English Philology without having set foot in an English-speaking country, learned English through reading and writing only, sat for exams in Old English and English literature, wrote academic papers, etc. What happened when I finally did set foot in the UK: I did not feel language-competent at all; worse still, I did not understand well the spoken language. My, was that an awful feeling! I wanted to tear up my diploma! Only when I went to Devon to stay with a family with small kids and dogs did things improve, and improve they did quickly. But I'm still better at reading and writing than at speaking.
:tup: Case in point. In the Natural Approach (and Krashen's Second Language Acqusition Theory in general), you would begin with developing your listening skills, just as an infant does. (The foetus is listening!! :hehe: ) In accordance with the way our brain's language centers evolved, Krashen's approach would have the students' listening comprehension develop first, followed by speaking. Of course, reading and writing developed much later, so those come from environment, not evolution. However, that receptive skills are honed before productive skills is not only hard-wired, but pretty difficult to conceive of in reverse. :ask: Naturally, one's reading comprehension should out-pace one's writing ability. The natural order of skill development and proficiency, in descending order, is listening-speaking-reading-writing.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Kimpatsu

Post by Kimpatsu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm

OK, all you Western European speakers, I'll rephrase:
Do you honestly consider someone who can speak Japanese but not read it to be fluent? If so, why can't they do my job?
"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."--Thomas Paine

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Kimpatsu wrote:OK, all you Western European speakers, I'll rephrase:
Do you honestly consider someone who can speak Japanese but not read it to be fluent? If so, why can't they do my job?
Imagine meeting an illiterate Japanese person. S/he can converse gobs much better than you, but you can read more than him/her. Which of you has native-speaker "fluency"?

Eriku

Post by Eriku » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Of course s/he's fluent... If not literate. It's elitist to demand literacy. Some languages don't have an orthography, y'know? Doesn't make it any less of a language to me.

chaggle

Post by chaggle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm

What does "fluent" mean? To me it means that it flows - you can speak without too many hold ups and without having to think too much about it. I have met English speakers who are fluent speakers of Spanish who can hadly read a word of either language. Fluent doesn't mean perfect - it means that it flows. (I think). :ask:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Actually, FBM, if I spent enough time in the place where my aunt and uncle are spending their retirement, I might learn through the natural method, but what I'd learn there would be of no use for reading or understanding the TV, and I would probably have problems communicating with anybody from anywhere North of Cordoba.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:35 pm

No, somebody who can't read signs is not fluent, even if he can hold a general discussion (or possibly a professional one) in purely oral form.

200 years ago, when literacy was not prevalent, my verdict might have been different, but nowadays, first world cultures demand written as well as spoken skill for fluency to be confirmed.