How many languages have you mangled?

Eriku
About me: Mostly harmless...

Re: How many languages have you mangled?

Post by Eriku » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Hrm... I've mangled Danish, Faroese, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Russian... I have a good phonetic ear, so I can manage pronounciation quite well, but I prefer learning grammar through absorbing it, like a child... hence being taught formally just makes me lazy and uninspired.

Dries van Tonder
Drunk barbarian nerd
About me: Drunk fucknut philosopher

Post by Dries van Tonder » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:57 pm

English. My most notorious moment was when I phoned the local hospital to get hold of a surgeon, as he had to give evidence in court. The Afrikaans for surgical is "chirurgies". So I phoned and asked to be put through / transferred to the "chirurgical" department. :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:
Ex Afrika semper aliquod novi!

Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol

Rob
Carpe Diem
About me: Just a man in love with science and the pursuit of knowledge.

Post by Rob » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:58 pm

klr wrote:Only English, Irish and French. And the last two are rusty, to say the least. :ddpan:

Now, as for computer languages ... :ugeek:
And here I was thinking Irish was just estranged English. :lol:
I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. [...] I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me. - Richard Feynman

Eriku

Post by Eriku » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Pappa wrote: In some parts of South America they just say "l".
In Argentina the double-l becomes a sh-sound...
Millefleur wrote:Ich heiße Millefleur und ich bin vierundzwanzig jahre alt. Ich habe eine groß kaninchen und sie konnen spiele tennis. Ich liebe meine kaninchen. In dem sommerferian ich spiele fußball. Ich mochte der autobus.

Voulez vous petis pois? lapin, chemise, oui oui.
You have a large little bunny?

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Sælir eru einfaldir wrote: Would like to refresh my skills in German and French, I have been there and managed just fine but am not sure I could do it now. I forget things easily :D
So would I. We should Skype sometime. :tup:

EDIT:

Have a three way. ;)
Ronja wrote:I mangle Norwegian, and these days both my French and my German are rather mangled, too. I would like to one day learn enough Dutch pronunciation to be able to at least mangle it, and I'm working on Spanish right now, but have not reached the mangling stage yet.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Sælir
The Obedient Wife

Post by Sælir » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:32 pm

maiforpeace wrote:
Sælir eru einfaldir wrote: Would like to refresh my skills in German and French, I have been there and managed just fine but am not sure I could do it now. I forget things easily :D

EDIT:

Have a three way. ;)
Ronja wrote:I mangle Norwegian, and these days both my French and my German are rather mangled, too. I would like to one day learn enough Dutch pronunciation to be able to at least mangle it, and I'm working on Spanish right now, but have not reached the mangling stage yet.
:hehe: :hehe:
I´m just a delicate little flower!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 pm

ScienceRob wrote:
klr wrote:Only English, Irish and French. And the last two are rusty, to say the least. :ddpan:

Now, as for computer languages ... :ugeek:
And here I was thinking Irish was just estranged English. :lol:
Dhonais agus Dholas ort, agus leat sa !

Oops, that was Scottish, not proper Irish
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Eriku

Post by Eriku » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

maiforpeace wrote:

EDIT:

Have a three way. ;)
Oop, I'm well up for a Germanophonic three-way.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 am

Eriku wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:

EDIT:

Have a three way. ;)
Oop, I'm well up for a Germanophonic three-way.
By all means let's arrange a Skype conference call :tup: - the only challenge is how to time it. But now worries - there's an app a website for that: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

I need to be at home to be able to participate, so that limits my possible time slots quite a bit, I'm afraid.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Eriku

Post by Eriku » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:09 am

Mine's mostly wide open, so you two sort it out amongst yourselves :)

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:36 am

Eriku wrote:Mine's mostly wide open, so you two sort it out amongst yourselves :)
We three, you mean ;) (Mai, Sælir and me)
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Ironclad
I feel nekkid.
About me: Hadean.

Post by Ironclad » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 am

I deliberately mangle my tourist talky. I am equally crap at German, Spanish and French - for kicks I use all three in the same sentences as I chat to waiters or people I meet.
What a tosser eh. Fun though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY

Nidor meus caseus vos matris  

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15 am

Sami, German, Japanese, Swedish
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:18 am

Schoolboy french and latin, now jumbled memes in what passes for my mind...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!