Formula 1

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
CJ

Formula 1

Post by CJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:51 am

The season starts this weekend! :woot: :woot: :woot:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Formula 1

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:56 am

CJ wrote:The season starts this weekend! :woot: :woot: :woot:
CJ, normally you and I agree, but I am one of the anti-formula 1 folk in Melbourne. Massive Government subsidies, disruption to a peaceful lakeside suburb, and a massive waste of hydrocarbons... :nono:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 am

Honestly, I'd really rather watch paint dry. It's just cars going round in circles and very occasionally overtaking each other. Once in a while they crash and someone dies. Mostly they just go round and round though.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am

Formula 1 racing? That's become an oxymoron. A more accurate description, now and for the past several years, is high speed procession. With the notable exceptions of rookies Senna and Schumacher knocking established champions (Prost and Senna) off their perches right there on the tracks, there is fuck all dicing going on for decades now. Drivers don't race each other any more - they obtain optimal lap times, and team managers remotely dial in lowered rev limits to their #2 driver if he gets too close to his #1 team mate.

I used to be sufficiently interested in motor sport to have personally met three F1 drivers, who between them have been world champions five times: Jim Clark (1963, 1965), Graham Hill (1962, 1968) and Jochen Rindt (1970). Clark died during a formula 2 race on the same day, and Rindt's (posthumous) championship was still to come. My interest got a second burst when Schumacher left Bennetton after winning the championship twice, to join the then badly managed outfit with a below-par vehicle. Yeah, I guess it was for the money, but didn't they turn around! The results were astounding. Two years after Schooey joined the team, Ferrari won five championships on the trot.

How can I describe the level of my interest now? Let me put it this way: As a result of this thread I looked up Wikipedia, to discover that Alonso finally made it - twice, and that Räikkönen succeeded him. As for Hamilton, I have never even heard of him until 20 minutes ago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Car.
Car.
Car.
Car.
Flag.
Car.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm

One of my nephews works for Michelin USA, he does the F1 and Indy car races. (If you see a red-headed tank in the pits, that's him.) He's invited me to any event he works, with pit pass. :levi:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

CJ

Post by CJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm

I have followed F1 since James Hunt. I can see what all of you are saying, but I still like it!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:23 pm

CJ wrote:I have followed F1 since James Hunt. I can see what all of you are saying, but I still like it!
I don't mind that other people like it, but it just bores the pants off me.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:44 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

George Carlin explains it best

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 am

Pappa wrote:
CJ wrote:I have followed F1 since James Hunt. I can see what all of you are saying, but I still like it!
I don't mind that other people like it, but it just bores the pants off me.
Yay!

Pappa without pants!

:shifty:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril
About me: The Fastest Ratz.. apparently

Post by Elessarina » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 am

I like it CJ

Button is on pole!

CJ

Post by CJ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Elessarina wrote:I like it CJ

Button is on pole!
UN-FUCKING BELIEVABLE!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril

Post by Elessarina » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:18 pm

CJ wrote:
Elessarina wrote:I like it CJ

Button is on pole!
UN-FUCKING BELIEVABLE!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

He must have drugged the other drivers!

We now have three Sebastians as well! lol

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:25 pm

I wish racing in general would make up it's mind WHAT it's racing.

If it's drivers then give them all THE VERY SAME MAKE OF CAR!

If it's not then let teams put whatever design of car they want on the track. (within given safety regulations!)

I hate the mish-mash that we have now, drivers are given credit when it's obvious the car is the reason for the win or exceptional drivers are let down by their team not being able to spend 100mil on a car.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril

Post by Elessarina » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:29 pm

AshtonBlack wrote:I wish racing in general would make up it's mind WHAT it's racing.

If it's drivers then give them all THE VERY SAME MAKE OF CAR!

If it's not then let teams put whatever design of car they want on the track. (within given safety regulations!)

I hate the mish-mash that we have now, drivers are given credit when it's obvious the car is the reason for the win or exceptional drivers are let down by their team not being able to spend 100mil on a car.
They're doing that thogh with introuding financial limits on the teams.. isn't that coming in next year with the new rules about grand prix wins? i.e. winner to be decided by number of races won rather han points