American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:12 pm
Remember their poor soft gentle hands.
At school cricket we were told to use vinegar to harden the hands.
You sound as if you're overcompensating for something. Yes yes, the world can see and acknowledges that the Dutch are the manliest of sportsmen. Dutch cricketers, manliest of all.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:22 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:09 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:11 pm
Can the outfielders catch the ball with their non-gloved hand?
laklak wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 am
Yes.
If it's anything like catching a cricket ball on the full near the stumps that is being returned from anywhere near the boundary rope, not wearing gloves can be a bruising experience, though.
I was watching one of the baseball bloobers vids, and though it's only a sample of failures, it looks like the glove is actually a hindrance when it's relied on to catch a ball that's coming over the shoulder of the gloved hand - bringing the other hand round would at least place a palm towards the incoming ball, and it'd be easier to try a two-hander.
I'm sure major league baseball players haven't thought of that. I'll mention that in preseason coming up. I always get to see the Yankees in the Grapefruit League in March. I'll let them know that the Europeans think they're pussies, and it's obvious the glove is a hindrance to catching the ball. I bet they never thought about how best to catch the ball.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Maybe if they coated the inside of the mitt with a sticky substance? :ask:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Or maybe make the ball and mitt with velcro?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
laklak wrote:
Yes.
If it's anything like catching a cricket ball on the full near the stumps that is being returned from anywhere near the boundary rope, not wearing gloves can be a bruising experience, though.
I was watching one of the baseball bloobers vids, and though it's only a sample of failures, it looks like the glove is actually a hindrance when it's relied on to catch a ball that's coming over the shoulder of the gloved hand - bringing the other hand round would at least place a palm towards the incoming ball, and it'd be easier to try a two-hander.
I'm sure major league baseball players haven't thought of that. I'll mention that in preseason coming up. I always get to see the Yankees in the Grapefruit League in March. I'll let them know that the Europeans think they're pussies, and it's obvious the glove is a hindrance to catching the ball. I bet they never thought about how best to catch the ball.
Ooo. Someone's not getting any custard on their pudding Image

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm

A load of sissies anyway with a big glove. Try being in slips or mid off. You dont feel your hands after a match.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 pm
Newbie question: Is there a limit to the field size? Some of those far boundaries look about half-a-mile away from the bloke with the stick.
The rules of the game don't specify the shape, height, or composition of the wall, or a specific mandatory distance from home plate (though Major League Baseball mandates a minimum distance of 250 feet (76 m) and recommends a minimum distance of 320 feet (98 m) at the foul poles and 400 feet (120 m) at center field).

The infield is 88 feet to 1st base from home plate, and 60.5 feet from the rubber on the pitcher's mound to the home plate.

Basic dimensions -

The variability of the outfield fence (wall) gives the ballparks character. You can have Wrigley Field with vines and such, and you can have Fenway Park with the "Green Monster."

Or, a classic look of Comerica Park (newer Tiger Stadium) -

The sport has amazing history and character. It has a storied past, legends, myths, rivalries, scandals and the like. And, it has stadiums which are not cookie cutter copies of each other. It's a great game.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm
A load of sissies anyway with a big glove. Try being in slips or mid off. You dont feel your hands after a match.
A denizen of the Netherlands suggesting others are "sissies?" The irony is enough to make a cat laugh. LOL. Let's get this straight - you're denigrating American baseball players because they wear a glove, the standard equipment in light of the way the game is played. But, you make no mention of the padding, faceguards and other safety equipment worn by cricketers (also because of the way the game is played). LOL.

If you're representative of the Dutch, no wonder the country isn't taken seriously.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
laklak wrote:
Yes.
Ooo. Someone's not getting any custard on their pudding Image
....dude, I mean, your comment was the equivalent of assuming that English Premier League football players hadn't thought of the idea of playing barefoot.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 am
That's why they wear gloves. Cricketers dont.
Why do cricketers use such a wide, flat bat? Baseball players don't.

Oh, yeah, I remember. It's a different sport.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Why does every thread about an American sport get diverted into some discussion about how the American sport is for wimps and it's really the manly Europeans who are the toughest of all sportsmen? Is this something ya'll worry about a lot?

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm

What is the force imparted by the baseball on the outfielder's mitt when caught? Given the increased velocity and height of the ballistic arc I'm thinking it has a bit more force than a cricket ball.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:05 pm

On to the topic of the thread - the real men from Holland (which is known to be the manliest of sources of manly men) and other super-tough-guy countries, might want to sit this one out, and go follow whatever cricket or soccer game is on now (you know, the well known "man sports").

Tomorrow starts the MLB World Series, which features the Los Angeles Dodgers (formerly of Brooklyn) and the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox are one of the original 8 American League teams - the American League was founded in 1901. They play at Fenway Park, one of the coolest designed baseball stadiums, famous for its "Green Monster."

The Dodgers were formed in Brooklyn in about 1884, and they played there until I think 1957, when they moved to Los Angeles. Another storied franchis, with lots of legendary players.

Here's one of my favorites --

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Śiva wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm
What is the force imparted by the baseball on the outfielder's mitt when caught? Given the increased velocity and height of the ballistic arc I'm thinking it has a bit more force than a cricket ball.
There is a wide variance. It's easier to calculate the speed the pitcher throws, and the force off the bat. The speed hitting the mit depends on the angle of the ballistic trajectory of the ball. But, since the ball is generally moving faster, and is fielded often at a "line drive" I agree with you.

Check out some of the line drives here - and the plays by the infielders --

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Soccer.

Lol.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.