American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Well, we have the Red Sox and the Astros today. Red Sox can win the series with a win today.

Tomorrow we have the Brewers and the Dodgers. Dodgers can also win their series with a win tomorrow.

So, looks like a good chance of a classic series with two traditional fan favorite teams, the Red Sox and the Trolley Dodgers (formerly Brookly Dodgers, now Los Angeles).

I think from the standpoint of watchability, I would like the Series to be Sox v. Dodgers. But, the Brewers really deserve a shot. They've been a team for almost 50 years, and no championships.

The Astros won last year, and fuck them. The Astros are among the least interesting teams. And, they really still have not atoned sufficiently for their uniforms from back in the 70s and 80s.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Is that Nolan Ryan? :biggrin: I watched him pitch his 4,000th strikeout at the Astrodome.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm

I normally wouldn't care who wins. But now I'm definitely hoping Houston does just to piss you and every other dumbass Yankee off. Go Stros!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Be careful, you're dating yourself! To be old enough to have watched that game, sets you back a bit!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm

:lol:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm

I was a kid. I remember that and thinking people were booing when Jose Cruz would get up to bat.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm
I normally wouldn't care who wins. But now I'm definitely hoping Houston does just to piss you and every other dumbass Yankee off. Go Stros!
Well, keep pissing in the wind there. It wouldn't piss me off if they won. As a Yankee fan from way back, I generally prefer to see the Red Sox lose, so if the Astros do win, it actually gives me a bit of a boost.

I'd be rooting for either the Dodgers or the Brewers, though, over the Astros. Out of the four teams remaining, my least favorite is Houston.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm

True, I can't believe I overlooked that old hatred. But Houston teams have always been boring to either coast and the media. It's pretty much considered a conspiracy down here. :hehe:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Houston teams always suck.

The Oilers left.
The Astros have always been boring, in ugly shirts.
Texans? Blech. Zero Superbowl rings. Zero Conference championships. Meh.

As a city, I mean, I'll give you Sam Houston - he was pretty bad ass, and ya'll threw off the yolk of Mexican oppression, rightly gained independence, and then smartly joined up with the US. But, since Sam died, it's pretty much been all down hill from there....

And, really, how seriously can we take your city, when you pronounce your city's name wrong. It should be pronounced the proper way: How-ston - not, Hyoo-ston. Apologize!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Scot Dutchy doesn't like baseball.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 pm

:lol:

Hey guys - fancy digging out some of this from YouTube so we uninitiated can see what you're talking about? As far as sport goes, I have a big grey spot where baseball is concerned - though I'm not unfamiliar with, erm, certain unorthodox used of a baseball bat.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 am

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 am

Cheers. The KKK seemed to be out in force that day. :shifty:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

So, the Sox are just waiting on either the Dodgers or the Brewers.