American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: American Major League Baseball Playoffs - 2018

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 pm

I am quite sure the rest of the world will be impressed. Not.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am

Forty Two wrote:Congrats to the BoSox on another World Series win. Well played.
Was it a classic?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am
Forty Two wrote:Congrats to the BoSox on another World Series win. Well played.
Was it a classic?
I wouldn't say so. Although the BoSox this year should be ranked one of the best baseball teams ever, with 119 combined regular season and playoff wins. Only the 1998 Yankees and the 2001 Mariners had more wins. Their post season record this year was 14 wins, and 3 losses, losing only once each to the Trolley Dodgers, the Asstros, and the Yankees. So, while the World Series itself didn't offer what I would call a "classic" battle, one has to credit the Sox for just being fucking awesome.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 pm
I am quite sure the rest of the world will be impressed. Not.
It depends who you consider to be part of "the rest of the world." Canada plays, and there many baseball fans in Canada. Japan is very much into baseball. Cuba loves it. Taiwan, Dominican Republic and Venezuela like baseball more than soccer. It's fairly popular in the Phillipines, and in South Korea.

I mean, clearly, they aren't part of "the rest of the world."

Only those countries whose sporting claim to fame is "speed skating" really are part "the rest of the world."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar