In Putin's Russia, World Cup plays you.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: In Putin's Russia, World Cup plays you.

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm

15 mins extra time so far. Croatia are playing better football. England will only win with luck on their side. Please not a penalty shootout!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Holy mountain of shit, Croatia GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2-1 !!!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Oh, England....my sympathies. But, it's just so typical.

Well, 10 minutes to go guys. Tie it up.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:24 pm

No way. Novice team did brilliantly. I see a bright future for this lot. Not tonight though.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm

I was 50% right then. I really didn't expect France to be able to pull it out over Belgium, but they did surprise me.

The question now is not can France beat Croatia, but can England beat Belgium or will they go home 4th place losers?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes! Croatia win!
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Belgium has the capacity to beat England, for sure. It could go either way. The Belgian team really has a good attacking game.

I just got done explaining to folks earlier today that England just always disappoints, and they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's so sad because every world cup, I find myself wishing England would win, and saying "maybe this could be the year..." -- I am an England fan, for no reason I can explain. But, they are just that sad-sack team now -- oughta-win -- it's their turn -- it's their game -- but, they just choke.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Uhm!

What happened? England coming home? :funny:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:48 pm
Uhm!

You are a mean and small spirited man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 pm
Belgium has the capacity to beat England, for sure. It could go either way. The Belgian team really has a good attacking game.

I just got done explaining to folks earlier today that England just always disappoints, and they manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's so sad because every world cup, I find myself wishing England would win, and saying "maybe this could be the year..." -- I am an England fan, for no reason I can explain. But, they are just that sad-sack team now -- oughta-win -- it's their turn -- it's their game -- but, they just choke.
It does appear that England always seems to 'disappoint', but in context of course every country that doesn't win is a massive disappointment to its fans. By definition most fans are on the losing side of most matches.

Unfortunately for England, its teams are hugely well known all over the world and clubs like Manchester United have fans in pretty much every country in the world. England and football are linked historically and culturally and people have huge expectations of them as a result. Those expectations have not been met in the past but getting to the semi finals ain't bad really - and I think this group and this manager will do well in the future.

There's no doubt Croatia were the better team this evening though.

/footypundit/

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:22 am

Śiva wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm
Holy mountain of shit, Croatia GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2-1 !!!
Yes, Sonuvabič scored and took the better team to the finals while the lesser team goes to face the musič of Engsit.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 am

Speaking of pundits.
Luka Modric has accused English journalists and pundits of showing a lack of respect to Croatia’s players and admitted his teammates had used criticism to motivate them to victory against England in their World Cup semi-final.

Modric impressed as Croatia came from behind to win after extra time in Moscow but the Real Madrid midfielder was scathing in his reaction towards sections of the English media, some of whom had predicted an easy win for Gareth Southgate’s side.

“People were talking … English journalists, pundits from television,” he told ITV. “They underestimated Croatia tonight and that was a huge mistake. All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying: ‘OK, today we will see who will be tired.’ They should be more humble and respect their opponents more.

“We showed again that we were not tired – we dominated the game mentally and physically.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... uka-modric
The sheer unprofessionalism of the English media is something that I've always found annoying myself. I think I first really noticed it when Torville and Dean lost against a younger, better Russian couple in ice-skating after being massively hyped. The sore loser behaviour of Desmond Lyman and his BBC team was a ludicrous display.

RTÉ were far more respectful of teams with one of the pundits commenting on how interesting it was to watch England as a neutral country, which elicited some scoffs in the pub I was in at the time. The national broadcaster understands there are plenty of English in the country and they can't be seen to be derisive or show to much glee when they lose.

Well I'm glad this defeat has put some manners on them.
Last edited by Animavore on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Uhm!

Why? We have to take all the crap when England wins. Never have been good losers have you. The team played badly. Accept a bit of a ribbing.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:41 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Uhm!

:lol:

There is an element of schadenfreude, though, with the tools who have been tatooing themselves with "coming home" and "world cup champions 2018". I even saw some twat who got a big tattoo of Harry Kane's face on himself. :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 am

Some people will be sorry.