Cubs vs. Indians

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Cubs vs. Indians

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 am

Fivethirtyeight.com has the Cubs with a 61% chance of winning the World Series -- http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... id=rrpromo

In the US, the baseball World Series involves the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians.

The Cubs have made it to the World Series this year for the first time in 71 years. They have not won a world series competition in 108 years, as they last defeated Ty Cobb's Detroit Tigers in 1908.

Average re-sale ticket price for games in Cleveland - $3900. Average re-sale ticket price for games at Wrigley Field in Chicago - $5,000. Game 7, if one occurs, estimated at $7,200.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Cubs vs. Indians

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:28 am

Cleveland is appropriating culture.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:06 am

pErvin wrote:Cleveland is appropriating culture.

I've summoned the Bias Response Team to attend to this young lady. Fortunately for her, the feminists are sending a team in response to the Bias Response Team to educate them on how not to tell women what to wear. Soooo...... Cat Fight!!!!!! :what?:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 am

Satan has called for extra blankets.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:38 am

Game 1 is tonight, everyone! 8pm, Easter US time!

Will the baby bears defeat the cultural appropriators?

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:51 pm

BArF−4

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 pm

I guess Cleveland. The celebratory gunfire must be less than chicgao.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:59 am

Indians defeated Cubbies 6 -0 last night. That's one game won, in the "best of seven" series.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Forty Two wrote:Indians defeated Cubbies 6 -0 last night. That's one game won, in the "best of seven" series.
The whole world is getting extremely excited. :bored:
BArF−4

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 pm

You heathens don't understand how big a deal this is. It makes your soccer world cup look like a tiddlywinks game.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:59 pm

tell the South Americans that.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:32 pm

But I am in the South.

Oh, you mean the other south, where the illegals live.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:38 pm

No esta usted en el sur, señor.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:28 am

Qué?
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 pm

rainbow wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Indians defeated Cubbies 6 -0 last night. That's one game won, in the "best of seven" series.
The whole world is getting extremely excited. :bored:
Look, just because you folks don't like baseball, doesn't mean plenty of nationalities don't enjoy it. It''s not just the US. Canada likes baseball, and they have a team in American Major League Baseball (they used to have 2, but Montreal moved to Washington DC). The Japanese have their own league, and baseball is their most popular sport. They love it. The Cubans love baseball as do the Dominicans and some other countries in central America and the Caribbean. Mainland China and Taiwan each play professional baseball. South Korea likes baseball, and they have a professional league. Mexico has a league, Venezuela, Colombia, etc. They don't, of course, count to some folks though.... not real countries, though....not part of the world.

Maybe if I point out that the vaunted Netherlands, with people far superior in intelligence, education, manners, civility and all other areas, likes baseball to some extent, too.... Here's an article from the New York Times, which says that soccer is king in the Netherlands, but baseball is becoming more popular there. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/world ... .html?_r=0 At a minimum, we can credit the Dutch with having the ability to appreciate a sport other than soccer, and to have the capacity to not scoff, every time the sport of baseball is brought up in conversation, about how it's not played much in fucking Europe. At least they can appreciate the sport.

Soccer is a great sport. Baseball is a different sport and is great in its own way. They aren't played the same, and not everyone is going to enjoy one or the other. Some people, like me, enjoy them both.