Women's World Cup

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:01 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Soccer moms, not just a word.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Forty Two wrote:Yet the total payout for the Women’s World Cup this year will be $15 million, compared with the total for the men’s World Cup last year of $576 million, nearly 40 times as much. That also means that the Women’s World Cup payout is less than the reported $24 million to $35 million FIFA spent on its self-aggrandizing fiction film, United Passions. http://www.politico.eu/article/world-cu ... -equality/

Can FIFA be sued in Switzerland for sex discrimination?
It was the most watched football final in the USA. It certainly wasn't anywhere near the most watched in the world - which is a shame, as it has been an entertaining tournament throughout. I think you'll find that the payouts pretty accurately reflect the viewing figures worldwide. Of course, that doesn't mean they are fair!
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Forty Two wrote:Yet the total payout for the Women’s World Cup this year will be $15 million, compared with the total for the men’s World Cup last year of $576 million, nearly 40 times as much. That also means that the Women’s World Cup payout is less than the reported $24 million to $35 million FIFA spent on its self-aggrandizing fiction film, United Passions. http://www.politico.eu/article/world-cu ... -equality/

It was the most watched football final in the USA. It certainly wasn't anywhere near the most watched in the world - which is a shame, as it has been an entertaining tournament throughout. I think you'll find that the payouts pretty accurately reflect the viewing figures worldwide. Of course, that doesn't mean they are fair!
Everyone deserves equal pay for equal work, so all soccer players should get what Lionel Messi makes.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:40 pm

They provide an inferior product.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

Everyone deserves equal pay for equal work, so all soccer players should get what Lionel Messi makes.
What they get paid by their clubs is subject to market forces. Which is fair enough (except for the corruption and dodgy agents, etc. etc. etc.)

That is a very different issue to the prize money in a competition.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:They provide an inferior product.
So it's o.k. to pay women less then, if women provide inferior products.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

What they get paid by their clubs is subject to market forces. Which is fair enough (except for the corruption and dodgy agents, etc. etc. etc.)

That is a very different issue to the prize money in a competition.
So, it's o.k. to pay women less for equal work, where market forces control such pay disparity?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Sure, why not?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Forty Two wrote:So, it's o.k. to pay women less for equal work, where market forces control such pay disparity?
No. It is never OK to pay anybody less for equal work. But footballers are not equal. No woman could do what Messi does and very few men. An unpaid-invoice-manager, though, or a widget-polisher... :tea:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Sure, why not?
Because the reason women's soccer is considered inferior is a social construct, and the patriarchal male-privilege culture in which our sports leagues are steeped creates the false narrative that women's sports are "inferior" to men's sports. It's the patriarchy that causes people to prefer to watch men's sports and it is the inherent, systemic disparities that cause women's sports to be perceived as inferior. Sports grew out of our overtly masculine culture, and as such systemically excludes and oppresses women.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Forty Two wrote:So, it's o.k. to pay women less for equal work, where market forces control such pay disparity?
No. It is never OK to pay anybody less for equal work. But footballers are not equal. No woman could do what Messi does and very few men. An unpaid-invoice-manager, though, or a widget-polisher... :tea:
So, if men overall worked more hours than women in general, and if men went into fields which tend to pay more (because they are either more technical, more dangerous, etc.) while women tended in greater numbers toward more administrative and support fields, then it would stand to reason that men in general would earn more money than women in general, and that would not be a problem in need of a remedy?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Sure, why not?
Because the reason women's soccer is considered inferior is a social construct, and the patriarchal male-privilege culture in which our sports leagues are steeped creates the false narrative that women's sports are "inferior" to men's sports. It's the patriarchy that causes people to prefer to watch men's sports and it is the inherent, systemic disparities that cause women's sports to be perceived as inferior. Sports grew out of our overtly masculine culture, and as such systemically excludes and oppresses women.
trolololol. Ok.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
So, if men overall worked more hours than women in general, and if men went into fields which tend to pay more (because they are either more technical, more dangerous, etc.) while women tended in greater numbers toward more administrative and support fields, then it would stand to reason that men in general would earn more money than women in general, and that would not be a problem in need of a remedy?
If such a lop-sided study were to be made, of course you would expect to see skewed figures. However, studies comparing like-for-like workers - same job, same hours, same levels of expertise and experience, same productivity, etc. STILL show that women are, in general, paid less than men. Now, would you consider that fair?
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:Everyone deserves equal pay for equal work, so all soccer players should get what Lionel Messi makes.
Messi is a brilliant footballer, but he gets paid for the advertising revenue and ticket sales he creates. If the women's world cup generated the same income as the men's, but women were not paid commensurately, then its time to complain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould