My uncle is a professional ping-pong player.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

My uncle is a professional ping-pong player.

Post by Twoflower » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 am

My uncle competed in a hardbat ping pong game and is now a local celebrity. :roll:
Anyway I insist everyone who has ESPN watch it when its on.
Chiropractor takes a crack at ping pong
Local doc on ESPN this weekend

It was a journey that started at Bench Warmers Sports Bar in Maple City and ended in Vegas. With a paddle, a ping pong ball and some stellar defense, Dr. Jeff Shaw made it to the final four…

A Traverse City chiropractor, Shaw competed in the Bud Light Hardbat (old style paddles, i.e. no sponge rubber) National Championship in June. The top prize was the largest in ping pong history – $100,000. Shaw finished third out of 800 and brought home $3,000 and a bit of fame.

A 2-hour special about the tournament will air on ESPN this Sunday, Sept. 27, from 5-7 p.m. and Shaw is one of the featured competitors.

How did he psych himself up? Shaw drew on a little Rocky Balboa inspiration. “I said to myself, ‘If I can just prove that I’m not a bum.”

Biggest surprise? He was bumped up to the pro division after organizers learned he had played in a state tournament with his son Matthew (who happens to be one of the top junior players in the state).

Tournament training? Hit at least 1,000 balls every night, and played with his “old style hardbat paddle” while opponents used their “high speed” sponge rubber paddles.

Strategy? “I am a blocker so my goal is just to return every shot as quickly as possible to let the other player make a mistake.”

Who beat you? Wayne Oberton, a 73 year-old northern Californian who was a top player back in the ‘60s. “He was the fan favorite, and he beat the crap outta me.”

Ping pong past? “I’ve been playing my whole life. My brother Kelvin (owner of Cartridge World) and I were always competitive, and whenever I beat him he would tip the table over, throw his paddle at me and chase me around the house. That's how I learned to be quick.”

Usual opponent? Matthew. “Whenever I start feeling good about myself, I just play him and he beats me....badly.”

Does pong make a better chiropractor? “Ping pong is a hand-eye coordination, reaction type of sport. I used to ride a unicycle and juggle back in high school. Being coordinated is definitely an advantage when you're a chiropractor.”

Hometown celebration? “I came home and my son beat me 10 games in a row
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

devogue

Re: My uncle is a professional ping-pong player.

Post by devogue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

That's the funniest article I've read in weeks. :funny:
Does pong make a better chiropractor? “Ping pong is a hand-eye coordination, reaction type of sport. I used to ride a unicycle and juggle back in high school. Being coordinated is definitely an advantage when you're a chiropractor.”

Hometown celebration? “I came home and my son beat me 10 games in a row
:lol: :lol:

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Re: My uncle is a professional ping-pong player.

Post by Twoflower » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I know. I couldnt stop laughing when I read it.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life