That There World Cup of Winning Football.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Re: That There World Cup of Winning Football.

Post by SteveB » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I have a theory that it's only footballing success which is keeping Germany's natural megalomaniacal tendencies in check. No world wars started now for 75 years, in which time Germany has won four World Cups, so the world is probably safe for another 20 years or so.
That and they don't invade countries with their military anymore, they just sort of take over Europe now by dominating it economically. I prefer that way, to be honest.

Congrats to Germany. :cheer: I was especially to glad to see them win after their players got beat up so much without any calls.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I have a theory that it's only footballing success which is keeping Germany's natural megalomaniacal tendencies in check. No world wars started now for 75 years, in which time Germany has won four World Cups, so the world is probably safe for another 20 years or so.
Yup, no longer do we have to cower in terror at the playing of Deutschland über alles.

Unless of course, you play for, or support England. :tea:

On the other hand ... the next international tournaments are in France (Euro 2016) and Russia (World Cup 2018). Germany has some previous with both of those. Will the Germans finally get to Moscow? Or to Paris again? :zilla:

On the subject of officiating: I thought the standard was very good in the last few games, but it was as much about the players behaving themselves. It wasn't too long ago that most of us were complaining about Brazil's rough-house approach against Colombia, and the referee's unwillingness to take a firm line early on. In the final, the referee booked two German players in quick succession around the half hour mark, and that would have sent a message to all the other players on both sides.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 pm

klr wrote:
Yup, no longer do we have to cower in terror at the playing of Deutschland über alles.

On the other hand ... the next international tournaments are in France (Euro 2016) and Russia (World Cup 2018). Germany has some previous with both of those. Will the Germans finally get to Moscow? Or to Paris again? :zilla:

Where is Saxony, exactly?

:hehe:

klr

Post by klr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:00 pm

piscator wrote:
klr wrote:

Where is Saxony, exactly?

:hehe:
Looks at map. :read:

Saxony seems to be an ideal jumping off point for invasion ... sorry, I mean for travelling to Russia.

Oh, and for once, I agree with Maradona, who cannot understand why Messi was voted player of the tournament. Sepp Blatter can't understand it either. Strange days indeed, as John Lennon once sang.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 am

Meanwhile:
http://www.techunited.nl/en/home

Tech United World Champion Robot Soccer!

For the second time Tech United became World Champion Robot Soccer after winning the Middle-Size League final of the RoboCup 2014 in João Pessoa. Tech United won the final from the Chinese team Water from the 'Beijing Information Science and Technology University', the team which took the title from Tech United last year. After a very exiting match Tech United got revanche and defeated team Water in the final with a score of 3-2!

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:46 am

Nice game Leo :clap:

It looked like the big difference would have been the goalie. Yours did a few good saves, while the Chinese let in anything that aimed between the posts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

klr

Post by klr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Can a robot get sent off? :ask:

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 am

Only if he doesn't play for Chelsea.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:34 am

Not sent off but offside rule applies, so do free kicks and corners.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:07 am

leo-rcc wrote:Not sent off but offside rule applies, so do free kicks and corners.
Until the robots evolve to be capable of biting, attempting to break an opponent's leg, holding them back by the shirt, handling the ball and suchlike there's no need for send offs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

klr

Post by klr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Hermit wrote:
leo-rcc wrote:Not sent off but offside rule applies, so do free kicks and corners.
Until the robots evolve to be capable of biting, attempting to break an opponent's leg, holding them back by the shirt, handling the ball and suchlike there's no need for send offs.
I'm surprised that robots can even be programmed with a working knowledge of the offside rule, given that it's defeated most humans.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Hermit wrote:
There is a clear need for someone to program evil into robots...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr

Post by klr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:13 pm

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
There is a clear need for someone to program evil into robots...
That would violate the three laws of robotics. :o

But the ensuing carnage would be fun to watch. From a safe distance.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, well, well ... Argentina are 4-1 up in a re-match in Düsseldorf. It was 4-0 for a couple of minutes.

Man. Utd. fans will be heartened by Angel di Maria setting up three goals and then scoring the fourth.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 pm

Englandshire were, of course, victoriously victorious against a woefully non-English Norwayish side. An under-strength English squad managed to counter their Viking trickery and scrape a dodgy (and clearly fully deserved, even though I didn't actually see it) penalty. We will surely now go on to dominate world football for the next century, just as we did in the last. :tup:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur