The Cricket Thread: Second Innings

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Re: The Cricket Thread: Second Innings

Post by Faithfree » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 pm

The Aussies thought they were playing golf - lowest score wins - an easy mistake to make. The poms do it most times. :coffee:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:36 pm

I feel sorry for people with tickets for the fourth day.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

trdsf
About me: High functioning sociopath. With your number.

Post by trdsf » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:14 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
trdsf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
trdsf wrote:I should like to understand cricket--not least to ensure I've gotten all the jokes in Life, the Universe and Everything--but I think being an American (even with a little English heritage), I'm genetically incapable of it. The scoring system is only out-weirded by that used on QI.
1 point for 1 run. Yes, I can see how that might confuse an American. :tea:
Yes, well, that's not how they actually report scores now, is it? Like the recent Test Match between Bangladesh and South Africa, the BBC reports 246-8 and then calls it a draw. Doubleyou tee eff?
246 runs for 8 wickets in Bangladesh's first innings. After that, the match was rained off. Hence the draw. Simples.
So rather than cancel it, or postpone it for later, it's scored a draw? :thinks: Does not compute.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:48 am

trdsf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
trdsf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
trdsf wrote:I should like to understand cricket--not least to ensure I've gotten all the jokes in Life, the Universe and Everything--but I think being an American (even with a little English heritage), I'm genetically incapable of it. The scoring system is only out-weirded by that used on QI.
Yes, well, that's not how they actually report scores now, is it? Like the recent Test Match between Bangladesh and South Africa, the BBC reports 246-8 and then calls it a draw. Doubleyou tee eff?
246 runs for 8 wickets in Bangladesh's first innings. After that, the match was rained off. Hence the draw. Simples.
So rather than cancel it, or postpone it for later, it's scored a draw? :thinks: Does not compute.
You have 5 days to complete all 4 innings (or 3 if the last team to bat cannot win). If you can't finish in that time, the match is drawn.

A draw can be just as exciting as a win. Such as when Michael Atherton famously batted for 643 minutes to rescue a draw against South Africa. Or it can be a rain-affected washout, as in this case. But it's a part of the game.

A draw is not to be confused with a tie, obviously. A tie is where the match is completed but both teams score the same amount of runs. Ties are very rare in Cricket - especially in the long form of the game. They happen more regularly in one-day or 20-20 matches.

Now... Duckworth Lewis? :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 am

trdsf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
trdsf wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
In part the reason for this is historical. The game was originally sport for enthusiastic gents and toffs, still reflected today in its formality and etiquette, who, being among the idle rich, would challenge each other, form invitation teams, and wager on the result. If no result was possible a draw was declared and everyone kept face. Matches were rescheduled of course, becuase a gentleman's reputation could be dependent on and appended by their wagers, but in the early days there was no league structure, no fixed teams or home and away matches etc and no championships were decided by results - rematches weren't really needed.

Another reason is meteorological - England's position on the gulf stream means it's weather is extremely unpredictable and there's no guarantee a rematch won't be rained out either, so declaring a draw is also pragmatic thing to do.

Of course, once the game had developed into a proper sport something had to be done to maintain the integrity of league structures and championship titles in the face of British weather, but cricket's traditional obsession with statistical bookkeeping, also a legacy of its antecedence in gaming, came to the rescue here, leading to the development of things like the Duckworth-Lewis method for determining a batting team's target score in a match interrupted by rain. Yes, in cricket you can win by scoring less than your opposition.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:33 am

Brian Peacock wrote:The game was originally sport for enthusiastic gents and toffs, still reflected today in its formality and etiquette, who, being among the idle rich, would challenge each other, form invitation teams, and wager on the result. If no result was possible a draw was declared and everyone kept face. Matches were rescheduled of course, becuase a gentleman's reputation could be dependent on and appended by their wagers, but in the early days there was no league structure, no fixed teams or home and away matches etc and no championships were decided by results - rematches weren't really needed.
Matches were typically "played out" then. It did not matter how many days that would take. It's not as though anybody needed to be back at work on the farm or in a factory. A previously organised fox hunt might pose a bit of an inconvenience, though. Ah. Decisions. Decisions...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:05 pm

5 days fills the interminable gap between the jollities of weekends.

Frank Zappa

trdsf
About me: High functioning sociopath. With your number.

Post by trdsf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:07 am

I think I'll stick with golf... I'll probably have another go at trying to wrap my head around cricket in a few months. And fail again.
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 am

Losing 3 - 2 was certainly better than 4 - 1.

Or 5 - 0 :whistle:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Dammit, you lucky Aussies narrowly escaped defeat against the Irish, thanks to the rain, and Messrs Duckworth & Lewis :lay:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:39 pm

What carnage this morning. England scored at more than 8 runs an over. That was 20/20 pace, never mind One-Day. :shock:

Many, many, other records as well. Too many to mention. But the fun is over for a while, as Cook declared on 629/6, and South Africa are now in to bat.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Stoke the boilers!

Frank Zappa