David vs Goliath

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

David vs Goliath

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 11, 2013 6:16 pm

David won!

Wigan Athletic beat man shitty in the FA cup. :funny: :funny: :funny:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: David vs Goliath

Post by Rum » Sat May 11, 2013 7:25 pm

:tup:

En_Route
About me: No.. I insist... Tell me about you first.

Post by En_Route » Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm

The subtext being that the energies expended on their cup run will likely ensure that Wigan are relegated with the danger of long- term marginalization while Manchester City will continue to dominate the occupy the upper reaches of the game indefinitely.
He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper, but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to his circumstances (Hume).

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun May 12, 2013 7:13 am

So, the road to Wigan Pier will no doubt be lined with cheering supporters...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

En_Route

Post by En_Route » Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm

The Premiership results over the weekend seem to have borne out my glum prognosis. In victory, ruin.
He is happy whose circumstances suit his temper, but he is more excellent who can suit his temper to his circumstances (Hume).

En_Route

Post by En_Route » Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 pm

They have been duly relegated. Pity , given that they play an attractive brand of association football and their manager bears an uncanny resemblance to a fully-functioning human being.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Yup, Wigan are toast. I wonder how many players they'll be able to keep next season? Even with the (dubious*) attraction of the Europa League, I imagine a good number of players will want away.

*Well, dubious for most ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

En_Route

Post by En_Route » Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm

klr wrote:Yup, Wigan are toast. I wonder how many players they'll be able to keep next season? Even with the (dubious*) attraction of the Europa League, I imagine a good number of players will want away.

Their better players were probably destined for greener pastures anyway. Martinez himself might also jump aboard the gravy train, if I may mix a metaphor or two.

klr

Post by klr » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

En_Route wrote:
klr wrote:Yup, Wigan are toast. I wonder how many players they'll be able to keep next season? Even with the (dubious*) attraction of the Europa League, I imagine a good number of players will want away.

Their better players were probably destined for greener pastures anyway. Martinez himself might also jump aboard the gravy train, if I may mix a metaphor or two.
:lol:

Indeed ... Martinez may find himself shuffling down the road to Goodison Park. Can't see him going in the other direction to the Etihad though.

Speaking of which: Has there ever been a season where the top 3 clubs end up losing/firing their managers at the end of the season? :ask:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

En_Route

Post by En_Route » Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 pm

klr wrote:
En_Route wrote:

Indeed ... Martinez may find himself shuffling down the road to Goodison Park. Can't see him going in the other direction to the Etihad though.

Speaking of which: Has there ever been a season where the top 3 clubs end up losing/firing their managers at the end of the season? :ask:

I would be pretty certain not, especially given the less febrile approach to hiring and firing which club owners adopted in times gone by. In fact, even Wenger's position is not absolutely secure, though if Spurs do manage to pip Arsenal at the goalpost for fourth place, he will probably still remain in situ.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 pm

klr wrote:
En_Route wrote:

Not for a while. Either Man U and Arsenal have been in the top 3 for the whole of the Premier League's existence. And before that, the job of football manager was much less precarious.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

klr

Post by klr » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm

There is one first*: Winning the FA Cup and being relegated in the same season. Clubs have been losing finalists and relegated in the same season before** (the "Poor Man's Double"), but never this.

*This was stated on the BBC earlier, but the Beeb is not infallible. :eddy:

**My own memory stretches back as far as Brighton in 1983 ... "... and Smith must score!"

En_Route

Post by En_Route » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 am

Birmingham City managed the League Cup and Relegation double in 2011. The moral being that a cup can prove a poisoned chalice. In fact even a cup run can be fatal.