American Football

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Post Reply
User avatar
laklak
Posts: 16944
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by laklak » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 pm

I've never understood sports, though competitive drinking might be interesting. It's certainly a big fucking deal around here. My sister is a fanatic - football, baseball, ice hockey - I can't seem to get interested enough to give even a half a fuck. I'm probably gay, eh?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Jason
Destroyer of words
Posts: 17747
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:46 pm
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm a huge Motorsports fan, but then I'm only half gay. :tea:

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 49503
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Hermit wrote:"Runs threw?

Yabbut American footballers hit harder. It's scientifically proven, mate.
Steddy on, Cobber!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 49503
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm

laklak wrote:I've never understood sports, though competitive drinking might be interesting. It's certainly a big fucking deal around here. My sister is a fanatic - football, baseball, ice hockey - I can't seem to get interested enough to give even a half a fuck. I'm probably gay, eh?
Yep. And a cuck. :prof:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
laklak
Posts: 16944
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by laklak » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:53 pm

That's a "cluck", and it's because there's a chicken on my dick.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 61295
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:32 am

pErvin wrote:
Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:Yeah, there's no doubt that hits to the body and head are harder and blunter in the rugby codes and afl, compared to Merkan football.
With the lack of armour, which spreads the impact out over more of the body, the hits are certainly more concentrated, but don't forget that both Rugby codes have regulated the more vicious hits out of existence. Spear tackles and head-high tackles have been outlawed for many years now, and for all I know (as I mentioned, I don't follow any of those games) I think the shoulder charge is gone in Rugby Union and there are calls to get it outlawed in League now as well.
It's definitely gone from league and afl. I'm fairly certain it's gone from union too. When I first heard about the shoulder charge being outlawed I thought it was a fucked decision. But the football codes are all so much faster than they were years ago, so the hits are generally bigger, and they can be continued throughout the game. And the shoulder charge can really mess someone up. It's a shame, from a spectator perspective, as they were some of the biggest hits. But from a player safety perspective, it's right that it's been banned.
The key to all recent AFL tribunal decisions lies in the mantra "protect the head". A bone-jarring bump that flattens a player without any contact with his head will not usually attract a penalty, not even a free kick.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 49503
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:44 am

Ah ok. I thought it was banned in AFL as well. It's funny, when I was young I played AFL at school, and before a certain age (can't remember the exact age; something like 9 or so) tackling was banned and you had to bump instead.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 61295
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:33 am

Tackling is OK, as long as it's at least partly from the side. If you bring them to ground in a sling tackle, and their head hits the ground, you're in trouble...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Forty Two » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 49503
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 am

:lol: that's crazy. I'm surprised they didn't call it off.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
L'Emmerdeur
Posts: 2252
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 pm
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 am

pErvinalia wrote::lol: that's crazy. I'm surprised they didn't call it off.
Since 1933, it's been a very rare occurrence for a regular season professional American football game to be postponed due to weather.
In contrast to most other outdoor sports, the NFL generally plays through even the coldest and most precipitous of weather unless such weather makes the stadium unusable or it becomes unsafe for spectators to attend the match.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 pm

A red line is crossed...

LA Rams hire first male cheerleader....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 466967002/

There goes the patriarchy again. Not satisfied with women having dominance in a field, the patriarchy is now working toward taking away jobs in this field from women. :{D
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 23326
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Its nice that the gay players on the team now have someone to flirt with.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 pm

That would be sexual harassment, if the cheerleader did not welcome the flirting.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1815
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: American Football

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm

In further cheerleader news, I see the New Orleans Saints are rightly being sued for sex discrimination by a sacked cheerleader because her terms of employment prohibited her from being pictured in underwear, a demand not made of male players.

Details of their entire policy towards cheerleaders are coming out, and it's all very sexist, prohibiting cheerleaders from fraternising with players, but putting all responsibility for that on the women.
Insert witty signature here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests