American Football

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: American Football

Post by Animavore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 am

Mr Bouquet wrote:
Animavore wrote:American Football is shit :coffee:
Fuck off and go watch hurling or gaelic football or some paddy sport that noone give a fuck about. :Erasb:
:lol:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:25 am

So the Navy Midshipmen gave Ohio State a good run today. Their QB damn near pulled off a 4th Quarter comback, but the Buckeyes put it away as expected. Now Ohio State will have to prepare for USC next weekend.
Michigan looked like Michigan again. Faster than ever, and dismantling Western Michigan they way a Wolverine team should. I honestly hope Rich Rodriguez can rehabilitate his team - after all, where would Ohio State football be without The Game against Michigan every November?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just don't respond. If you do respond by making some wankerish comment about not liking American football, let me just pre-empt you right now by saying fuck off, ya pansy. :biggrin:

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:32 am

I like football. And, I see no need to call it American football. It's just football. :biggrin:
Of course, I'm a Colts fan. :toot:
We danced.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:44 am

FIO wrote:I like football. And, I see no need to call it American football. It's just football. :biggrin:
So a game that is played in one country, and hardly ever involves feet, should be called 'football', while the game that is played throughout the world has to rename itself to suit the wishes of the minority? :roll:

A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:54 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
FIO wrote:I like football. And, I see no need to call it American football. It's just football. :biggrin:
So a game that is played in one country, and hardly ever involves feet, should be called 'football', while the game that is played throughout the world has to rename itself to suit the wishes of the minority? :roll:

Not what i said at all. I think our sport known as football was stupidly named, but it is named that. So, why should we call it something else? There can be two things with the same name. :biggrin:
We danced.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:11 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

In this thread, American football is called football. The other kind is called soccer. Thems is the rules.
The rules apply to this thread only.
You don't like the rules, you don't have to post in this thread.
Or maybe just act like a soccer player: fall down and cry and wait for a referee to hold up a card. :lol:

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:35 am

Easy now Ian i like soccer too! :lay:

The college football is interesting but i can't really get into it. Bowl games are interesting and i love it when an underdog college comes up and sticks it to the favorite the romance that is involved in college football i think is somewhat lost in the big league NFL.

oh btw.

Translation of Ian comments about michigan vs ohio state: Michigan and Ohio are two states in the mid-west they HATE each other and have done so since time in memorial.This hatred is most fervently manifested in the game Michigan vs Ohio State.

Only 6 days or so till the proper stuff NFL starts Go you jets and good luck to Mark Sanchez you're going to need it. Anyone else wish Brett Favre would fuck off and retire once and for all granted he lifted the jets to a 9-3 record but then failed miserably as his body packed up on him i hope the vikings don't make the same mistake have him a backup QB thats where i think he is best suited.

Oh and im looking forward to Viks vs Packers game in green bay it could be interesting. :tea: Not to mention the jets crushing the patriots i hate those cunts with a passion. :evil:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 am

Wish they'd show some of the college games over here.

Anyway, looking forward to the new the new season, hoping my (once) mighty Redskins can do something good this year... :roll:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am

Geoff wrote:Wish they'd show some of the college games over here.
They show them on ESPN here usually only one or two games a week.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 am

I like the NFL too. Being from Connecticut, I'm grudgingly a Patriots fan. I say Grudgingly because their star QB, Tom Brady, played for Michigan. I'm an Ohio State alum.

I prefer the college game. Of course the pros are better players, but I don't think the fun is there as much.
Here's an excellent ESPN article I saw a couple years ago on 20 reasons why college football is better than the NFL: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06 ... id=2549750
There's a companion article of 20 reasons why the NFL is better. But I agree with the first article. :biggrin:

Oh - and I despise the Dallas Cowboys. Passionately. They're the only team in all of sports that I genuinely hate, except Michigan during the third week of November. It's partly because I don't like Texas and Dallas is the epitome of all that is wrong with Texas, but mostly it's because of owner Jerry Jones and that whole "America's Team" horseshit.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 am

Seen them play once at Soldier Field, great day!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Sport has always been a mystery to me. Rather, the enthusiasm and devotion they elicit has always been a mystery. I could never get excited about them :think: I find them tedious, dreadfully boring :dono: In fact, the only thing in this entire thread which sped up my heart rate was Geoff's shirt, featured in his avatar picture:

I wish I had one :cry:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 pm

Ian wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:

In this thread, American football is called football. The other kind is called soccer. Thems is the rules.
The rules apply to this thread only.
You don't like the rules, you don't have to post in this thread.
Or maybe just act like a soccer player: fall down and cry and wait for a referee to hold up a card. :lol:
Sorry Ian,

Didn't realise this thread had RULES! It is such a break with forum tradition that I am not sure it is actually legal. I will need to discuss this at length with the other staff to see if we can allow rules in just this one instance!
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Hang on. What's with the hats :think:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:36 pm

tattuchu wrote:Image

Hang on. What's with the hats :think:
Not hats, HAT. One day, you too may attend one of our initiations meets and may proudly bear the HAT.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur