Motorcycles

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Cars and trucks are basically motionless objects to a good bike rider.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm

I was racing a souped up Honda Civic down the 401 around 11pm at speeds approaching 300kph when I came up on two transports side by side. The Civic took the free inside lane and I went between the two trucks riding the white dotted line.

'Course I had more testosterone than brain cells then.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:52 pm

PordFrefect wrote:I was racing a souped up Honda Civic down the 401 around 11pm at speeds approaching 300kph when I came up on two transports side by side. The Civic took the free inside lane and I went between the two trucks riding the white dotted line.

'Course I had more testosterone than brain cells then.
I was 39 once. :sigh:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Cars and trucks are basically motionless objects to a good bike rider.
I was trying to explain that to a none rider. - not easy - just like trying to explain to a cager that ITS MY FUCKING LANE STAY OUT OF IT!!!!

They see a narrow vehicle - our mirrors on the other hand cover the entire width of the lane from the riders viewpoint.

MY ROAD!!! grrrrr

Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50 pm

When I was a claim rep for State Farm I heard more than once "I didn't see the motorcycle, so I pulled out." One headlight or two, you still have to look before you can see them.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm not much of a fan of trikes - I think they incorporate the worst elements of bikes and cars while making you look like a tit, but... I saw this and couldn't help but be impressed by this particular machine as an engineering exercise.
Nicely filmed video.
I call bs on the 200 mph though. Might have been shot on a dyno, or something. - (And the 'chute, obviously.)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNLMN_R ... re=related[/youtube]
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:41 pm

I've been looking into expanding my experiment with waste veggie oil to include a diesel motorcycle. I've found quite a few that are in production. May turn out to be my next project...
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I believe India are still making diesel-engined Enfield Bullets. :ask:

Edit - From Wkipedia:-
Royal Enfield Super bike taures (Diesel)

Royal Enfield in India built a diesel motorcycle. A 6.5 hp (4.8 kW) industrial diesel was installed in the frame of the British-based Royal Enfield bullet 350cc. . Its fuel consumption was around 200 miles per imperial gallon (1.4 L/100 km; 170 mpg-US). Initially street mechanics were mounting this engine in used Bullets, like retro Royal Enfield Bikes, with the 350 cc retrofit engine developing 18 hp (13 kW). On seeing the success of these bikes; Royal Enfield started manufacturing Bullets with the diesel engine and named it the Taurus. The Taurus was available with an electric starter. It was characterised as very noisy, slow and with excessive vibrations. The company subsequently stopped its production.
:sadcheer:
Last edited by JacksSmirkingRevenge on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 pm

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:I believe India are still making diesel-engined Enfield Bullets. :ask:
So are Suzuki and a few Germans and Italians. Just thinking about whether or not its worth spending the $$ on a production bike or building my own... :eddy:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:56 pm

I'd look into getting a rolling chassis minus the engine (or with a blown engine, or something) and rebuild it how you want to...Within legal parameters, of course. :D

Edit - What engine do you intend to use?
Bear in mind that you will likely need a seperate gearbox unless you are using an engine designed for automotive purposes.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm

FBM wrote:
JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:I believe India are still making diesel-engined Enfield Bullets. :ask:
So are Suzuki and a few Germans and Italians. Just thinking about whether or not its worth spending the $$ on a production bike or building my own... :eddy:
I've got a single-cylinder 10.5hp Yanmar diesel engine if you're interested. :hehe:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:21 am

@ Jack: Yeah, I was thinking of inserting one into a ready-made chassis. But it's just in its idea phase right now. No clue which engine I might use.

@ Pord: Thanks! Bring it on over anytime! :cheers:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:40 am

KLR650s are made in a diesel version for the US military.

and someone coverted one - there is a dieselbike forum

http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/view ... f=5&t=2177
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I just found some eye watering motorcycle lunacy. Yamaha R1 on the streets of Moscow. Makes the Star Wars PodRacers look tame.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 am

Filtering extreme - damn :shock: