Motorcycles

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Cormac wrote:Cali - is there a limit to your knowledge and expertise?

:ask: :tup:
:whisper: try him on Eastenders...
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Cormac wrote:Cali - is there a limit to your knowledge and expertise?

:ask: :tup:
:whisper: try him on Eastenders...
There is no such thing as knowledge about Eastenders. There is "Anti-knowledge" related to Eastenders. Unfortunately, when it meets actual knowledge, it annihilates both, leaving a person bereft of knowledge and in need of a complete reinstall.

This is why people should never watch soap operas.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm

FBM wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I'd think you could analyze crashes, if you could get data on aftermarket exhausts on the crashed bikes. If the claim of loud pipes save lives is true, bikes with loud exhausts should be underrepresented in crashes. Getting to that data is the trick.
Yeah, it's a tough one. I don't know of anyone who's done any work on that. That's why I fall back on direct experience. Not much choice.
Insurance Institute of Highway Safety. lmgtfy.com
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

The_Metatron
About me: Humanist, rationalist, atheist, vegan (mostly). Correctly opinionated on most things.

Post by The_Metatron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I'd think you could analyze crashes, if you could get data on aftermarket exhausts on the crashed bikes. If the claim of loud pipes save lives is true, bikes with loud exhausts should be underrepresented in crashes. Getting to that data is the trick.
Yeah, it's a tough one. I don't know of anyone who's done any work on that. That's why I fall back on direct experience. Not much choice.
I just posted a letter to them, asking if their crash data contains information on motorcycle installed equipments. If it does, if I can have access to search for this effect.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:
I just posted a letter to them, asking if their crash data contains information on motorcycle installed equipments. If it does, if I can have access to search for this effect.
They're usually willing to give researchers access to their data, the whole point is to find any and all ways to make motoring safer, and thus less expensive to insure. The IIHS first came up with the idea of "crumple zones" to soften front and rear impacts, and they helped pioneer side air bags.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:18 pm

The bumper sticker should read, "Loud pipes save lives unless you're driving like a fucking idiot in the first place."
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:21 pm

FBM wrote:The bumper sticker should read, "Loud pipes save lives unless you're driving like a fucking idiot in the first place."
I thought that was the only way to drive?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:The bumper sticker should read, "Loud pipes save lives unless you're driving like a fucking idiot in the first place."
I thought that was the only way to drive?
No shit. :ddpan:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

The_Metatron
About me: Humanist, rationalist, atheist, vegan (mostly). Correctly opinionated on most things.

Post by The_Metatron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:42 pm

It will be interesting to see if the data exists and if something comes from it.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

It would be interesting. It would be more informative if the data distinguished between which driver was at fault, the cager or the motorcyclist. Motorcyclists tend, in general, to drive like idiots.

But, wait, so do cage-drivers. :ask:

Must work further on this angle...

OK, so we need to distinguish between loud motorcycle drivers who were driving sanely and those who were driving stoopidly, as well as to distinguish between quiet motorcylists who were driving either sanely or stoopidly, compare both sets of data, factor in weather, road conditions, etc etc.

Too much work for a simpleton like me. I just figure that ambulances and police cars include loud sirens for a reason: it helps other drivers be aware of their presence and, thus, avoid collisions with them.

The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 pm

No distinction required. If I'm not going to bother with it for the OEM motorcycles involved in deaths, there is no need to consider it for the motorcycles with loud pipes that are involved in deaths, either.

If I can get to the data, anyway.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm

My hacksaw hand is twtching...
:twitch:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm

??

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.