Games like this

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Games like this

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 6:35 am

is the reason you still stick with your team no matter how stupid and illogical it is.

Port Adelaide 14.11.95
North Melbourne 13.15.93

WHAT A FUCKING WIN! ran over the kangas im still shaking i was yelling at the tv like a deranged lunatic and when the final siren went i cried.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Games like this

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat May 19, 2012 6:59 am

Are those scores or dates? :dunno:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Are those scores or dates? :dunno:
Scores........... aussie rules is scored thus

Goals (worth six points) Behinds (worth one point if you miss the goal) Points.

So if a team scored 14.11.95

They have scored 14 goals 11 behinds for a total of 95 points.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 am

Oh. I see. So... who won? :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 7:31 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Oh. I see. So... who won? :tea:
Daft cunt. :hehe:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat May 19, 2012 8:03 am

Scoring a 'behind'. :hehe:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 am

Rum wrote:Scoring a 'behind'. :hehe:
We were winning until they scored my behind - couldn't sit down for a month after that! :shock:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 am

I'd like to think that i know a fair bit about aussie rules but i have no fucking idea where that came from?. :think:

I'm a bit scared to google it too. :nervous:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat May 19, 2012 8:14 am

redunderthebed wrote:
I'd like to think that i know a fair bit about aussie rules but i have no fucking idea where that came from?. :think:

I'm a bit scared to google it too. :nervous:
If I catch you googling my behind, you'll get a slap you won't forget in a hurry, young man! :lay:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 am

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... esFootball

If ya interested this has to be easily the most irreverent and funny explanation of the AFL. :)

I liked the bit "collingwood fans yanks think oakland raiders brits think liverpool fans" its funny because its true. :funny:

EDIT: an explanation for the behind terminology and no its not an homosexual act. :prof:

In early forms of football - association, rugby etc., when the ball was kicked past the goals, it was said to be "behind". Most early rules (circa 1860) allowed that the team defending a goal could kick the ball back into play from a specified area when the ball went "behind". This aspect of play still exists in Association Football and Australian Football.
In Australian Football, when the game transitioned to cricket grounds in the 1860s, two posts were added either side of the goal posts to mark the kickout area. Consequently, when the ball passed between the goal post and the kickout post (now called the point post) a behind had occurred.

Many year later the behinds began being reported in the results and eventually became a part of the score. At the same time the "kickout" area shrank from an area stretching from kickout post to kickout post to just the area in front of the goal posts.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_beh ... z1vInmE7bn

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sat May 19, 2012 9:07 am

So, is it a bit like Quidditch?

:shifty:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Sat May 19, 2012 9:29 am

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri May 25, 2012 11:40 pm

I remember they used to show Aussie Rules Football highlights over here (or, as someone once memorably suggested it be called, Aussie No-Rules Rugby).

What I used to like about it is that at the end of the highlights they would list the score and scorers, followed by a list of all the injuries.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater