Question for non-US motorheads.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Question for non-US motorheads.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:04 am

Have you ever been to or watched a drag race?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Question for non-US motorheads.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 am

Drag queens are pretty slow, what with all the make up and fancy dresses...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:11 am

Not a full-sized event. I only ever saw street rods and bikes drag racing in Warrington.

We do have a few drag strips here, mind.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Not a full-sized event. I only ever saw street rods and bikes drag racing in Warrington.

We do have a few drag strips here, mind.
Do you get the full-sized AA fuelers there? The long rides with the mountain motors?

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:22 am

Top-fuellers are run at Santa Pod - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Pod_Raceway - I think we may have other full-sized strips but can't name any off hand.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:26 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Top-fuellers are run at Santa Pod - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Pod_Raceway - I think we may have other full-sized strips but can't name any off hand.
Did you find it interesting? And did you got to the qualifying days or just the finals?

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 am

Only on TV.
Can't really see the point, unless the entire point is to see which car can accelerate fastest in a straight line.
No skill involved, it's over in a few seconds, and no need for a re-match. Ever.
Corners make a race more interesting.
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:37 am

As I recall, it was just a large organised meet where enthusiasts went and showed off their street rods, etc. and they had a bit of a drag strip set up on one of the runways (it was held at RAF Burtonwood)...It wasn't a drag racing event, as such.

I've got mates who went to see the top-fuellers racing. I'm told it's quite a spectacle.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:39 am

Mysturji wrote:Only on TV.
Can't really see the point, unless the entire point is to see which car can accelerate fastest in a straight line.
No skill involved, it's over in a few seconds, and no need for a re-match. Ever.
It a "rush" thing, seeing a monster accelerate at ridiculous speeds and wondering if it will stop at the end of the track.

I did like the sign on one transporter. The driver was standing next to his car and saying "I drive to work at 300+ mph." :hehe:

There is also the fun of seeing something that sorta looks like the family sedan doing wheel stands. :smug:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 am

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:As I recall, it was just a large organised meet where enthusiasts went and showed off their street rods, etc. and they had a bit of a drag strip set up on one of the runways (it was held at RAF Burtonwood)...It wasn't a drag racing event, as such.
Our racing started out on the streets. I'm sure the first time a town ever had two cars there was a bit of contest.
I've got mates who went to see the top-fuellers racing. I'm told it's quite a spectacle.
Episodic, but the highs are very high. The staging buildings tension, then the starter hits the pickle and they fire themselves down the track with the noise of a jumbo jet taking off. :shock:

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:43 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Mysturji wrote:Only on TV.
It a "rush" thing, seeing a monster accelerate at ridiculous speeds and wondering if it will stop at the end of the track.

I did like the sign on one transporter. The driver was standing next to his car and saying "I drive to work at 300+ mph." :hehe:

There is also the fun of seeing something that sorta looks like the family sedan doing wheel stands. :smug:
Like football ("soccer" to you) (On second thought, that includes your kind of football too) (Actually, pretty much any sport) is can easily see how it would be fun to do (I have played various sports on various occasions, and generally enjoyed it), but watching it? :yawn: The novelty would soon wear off.
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

Mysturji wrote:Like football ("soccer" to you) (On second thought, that includes your kind of football too) (Actually, pretty much any sport) is can easily see how it would be fun to do (I have played various sports on various occasions, and generally enjoyed it), but watching it? :yawn: The novelty would soon wear off.
There's a whole lot of testosterone in the parking lots after the event. People want to go really really fast and they're doing 2 mph in the parking lot, crawling out to the highway.

And, on the whole, I'd rather drive than watch, but most people don't get that opportunity. (I had one muscle car that would have been at home on a drag strip.)

fretmeister
About me: Magician, Entertainer, Balloon Modeller, Skeptic, Singer, Bassist, Guitarist, all round audience addict! (I'm also a lawyer but don't tell anyone)

Post by fretmeister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:42 pm

I've been to Santa Pod, both as a spectator and as a representative of a seriously injured spectator.

All I can say is - don't stand near the finish line!
MusicRadar is dead. Long Live http://thefretboard.co.uk/

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:07 am

Never being to a drag race i should they have a speedway in Adelaide. That said the NHRA drag racing they have on ESPN never interested me too much. :ddpan:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...