Aussie Open 2012

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Aussie Open 2012

Post by klr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:12 pm

nellikin wrote:OMGOMGOMG - I saw soo much live, and had such a great time, and now I can say that I have seen Federer (beat Ivo karlovic, which was impressive and nerve-wracking, and wonderful). I also saw Andy Murray beat Edouard Roger-Vasslin in the second round. I hadn't been a great fan of Murray but have changed my mind. He is an incredible tennis player and hat's off to him. I gave him a standing applause for you, XC, (and for me). I was also very impressed with Tommy Haas. He is the oldest player in the tour, but gave his all against Nadal, going down, but making for a wonderful match. Tsonga, too, is wonderful to watch - a real crowd pleaser. Geez, if I lived in Melbourne, I'd go every year. It was amazingly fun. Now I have to turn the telly back on and watch what's going on now ;)

Federer is playing Tomic tomorrow night - my heart is with Federer, but I really hope Tomic gives it his all. It's about time Aussie-land produced a lovely tennis player again, and Tomic fits the bill. I hope he goes far (but not further than Federer :).
A former workmate of mine went to Wimbledon in 2001, and was disgusted to see Pete Sampras being beaten on Centre Court by some young Swiss upstart called Roger Federer. Maybe she didn't think it so bad in hindsight :hehe:

Glad you had a a great time :cheers:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

nellikin
Dirt(y) girl
About me: KSC

Post by nellikin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:42 am

Tonight Federer vs. Nadal!1!!!! :ab:
To ignore the absence of evidence is the base of true faith.
-Gore Vidal

klr

Post by klr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:59 am

I watched the first two sets, then had to drag myself into work. I just saw part of the 4th set during my coffee break. :levi:

The women's final between Sharapova and Azarenka is going to set new records for noise levels at a sporting event. :hehe:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

klr

Post by klr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 pm

All over, Nadal wins in 4 sets: 6-7, 6-2, 7-6, 6-4

In Grand Slam meetings, Nadal now leads Federer 8-2. Federer's only wins against Nadal in a "Slam" came in the 2006 and 2007 Wimbledon final matches.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Aussie Open 2014 a legendary match

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:29 am

fast forward two years

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/scores/schedule/index.html

A healthy Federer - playing better than I've seen in a couple of years...healthy and crafty as ever versus Nadel who is a bit wounded but so far unbeatable tho he got a couple of scares on the way.

Get a nap - should be good.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:09 am

Fark! I was in Brisbane last week so watched the first week. First time in a few years that I've been able to watch the tennis. Really enjoyed it. And I saw that Rog was doing really well (hadn't lost a set while I was down there). But now that I'm back at the farm, I don't get TV reception, so I miss out. I'll be back in Brissie on the weekend, so can watch the finals, at least.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:11 am

I hope Rog can beat him.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 am

Yeah me too tho Nadal is hurt pretty nasty.

Can you image playing at his level with this???

:what:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:04 am

My son Nick has been working at the ticket office there...

Can't get interested in tennis myself. Give me the cricket any day...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 am

If ever in your life watch one....this is it.

These are arguably the greatest players ever - their 5 hour match at Wimbleton is considered the best match in history.

Might be one of the best matches ever…tonight -

Federer is considered the greatest player ever and Nadel the only one that might challenge that…

Federers string of stats may never be broken…..and he is still clocking them up.

Their match at Wimbledon is considered the greatest ever played.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Wimbl ... gles_final

You can’t get the whole match but this will give you an idea - some of the rallies are just unreal.

Federer served 25 aces and still lost !!!!!

At 4 hours and 48 minutes, the match was the longest singles final at a Wimbledon in terms of time played.

The match was a harbinger of Nadal two months later, in August, finally overtaking Federer in the ATP Rankings, on which Federer had reigned as World No. 1 for a record 237 consecutive weeks.

four and a half years as number one ….consecutive!!!!!!!!

Many tennis analysts wondered whether this was the beginning of Federer's decline in favor of the younger Nadal. Federer has since regained his World No. 1 ranking on two occasions; after winning his two most recent Wimbledon titles in 2009 and 2012.

someone even wrote a book about that single match

http://www.amazon.ca/Strokes-Genius-Fed ... 0547336942

The level of fitness is astonishing....how they can compete at that level for that long is remarkable.

Give it a go...

klr

Post by klr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 am

Sitting up here in bed on a Friday morning, watching Nadal v. Federer. :smoke:

... but I'll have to go to work after a couple of sets. :lay:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 am

This one not epic ;( ....Nadal just unstoppable despite being wounded.

I think that first set loss took the wind out of Roger -barely awake

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I trust no sheep will be harmed in the process.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:30 am

nice

and a rock and roll men's final with Nadal on the ropes to another Swiss Wawrinka is up a set :eek:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am

She starts 2014 with a bang? Judging by her smile, it must have been a good one. :tup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould