8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by FBM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 am

JimC wrote:
Twoflower wrote:I wouldn't have assumed you to be a Liverpool fan just because you live in Liverpool. For example I live in Glasgow but am not a fan of the Rangers or the Celtics. Also not many people pay attention to the locations or even bother to look at them.
Which is utterly disgraceful, since they may miss that I live in simply the best city in the known universe! :lay:
Then why does your profile say "Melbourne"?



:hehe:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
Posts: 10920
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator
Location: Helsinki, Finland, EU
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Ronja » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 am

Magicziggy wrote: The issue of club loyalty is irrelevant in this discussion. Suarez is guilty of displaying racist behavior because an independent review of the evidence made that conclusion.

He should not, however, be labelled a racist. That judgement should be based on the balance of his actions over a much wider span of time and events.
. :this:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

User avatar
HomerJay
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by HomerJay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

Ronja wrote:OT:
Whereas Strontium Dog has posted zero posts about Liverpool and only four posts about football before this thread (and no OPs in the Sport subforum). Therefore I find that his belief - that it would be clear to everyone that he is an avid supporter of Liverpool FC based on his location information only - is too big a leap of faith. It is IMO not realistic to assume that (many or most) other members here would draw such a conclusion based on so little information.
There are also two large clubs in the Liverpool area, Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

So not only is it not realistic to assume which way SD bends, it would be racist.
Merseyside derby
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the mid 1980s however, the rivalry has intensified on and off the field, and since the inception of the Premier League the Liverpool derby has had more red cards than any other game, thus has been referred to as "The most ill-disciplined and explosive fixture in the Premier League"

User avatar
redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
Posts: 6556
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Location: Port Lincoln Australia
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by redunderthebed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Image

Which one is strontium? :hehe:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

User avatar
HomerJay
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by HomerJay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm

redunderthebed wrote:Image

Which one is strontium? :hehe:
That is extremely bad taste.

Image

User avatar
Santa_Claus
Your Imaginary Friend
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:06 pm
About me: Ho! Ho! Ho!
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Santa_Claus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

I used to be a Liverpool fan, but changed to Man U in the early 90's. and after that I supported Chelsea. Now it's Man City.

COME ON YOU REDS!
I am Leader of all The Atheists in the world - FACT.

Come look inside Santa's Hole :ninja:

You want to hear the truth about Santa Claus???.....you couldn't handle the truth about Santa Claus!!!

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Magicziggy wrote:Suarez is guilty of displaying racist behavior because an independent review of the evidence made that conclusion.
You can trust the arbitrary and baseless decisions of unaccountable authorities if you want; I prefer to trust the facts and evidence.
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
Magicziggy
Posts: 4847
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:56 am
Contact:

8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Magicziggy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Magicziggy wrote:Suarez is guilty of displaying racist behavior because an independent review of the evidence made that conclusion.
You can trust the arbitrary and baseless decisions of unaccountable authorities if you want; I prefer to trust the facts and evidence.
please share the facts and evidence that we might all reach the same conclusion

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 pm

That's the point. There is no evidence that Suarez uttered the words he is claimed, save for the word of Patrice Evra. Why won't anyone here acknowledge this simple fact?
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Over on the official LFC forums, the members are doing a brilliant job of dissecting the inconsistencies in the FA's report.

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=289736

Only near the top of the first page of the thread at the moment, but my favourite so far is that we're expected to believe that Evra's angry reaction to Suarez's use of the word "negro" was the sixth time Suarez is alleged to have used the word to Evra. Presumably you can say that word 5 times to Evra without arousing any ire, but god forbid if you say it a sixth time! :lol:
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
HomerJay
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by HomerJay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 pm

If they don't appeal it's all academic.

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm

They're not allowed to appeal against the verdict, only the severity of the punishment.

And no, it's not academic, not when the club is being pilloried everywhere for "supporting racism" (despite being the only Premier League club without a single arrest for racist behaviour over the prior two seasons - but why let the facts get in the way, hey).
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
HomerJay
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by HomerJay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:35 am

Strontium Dog wrote:despite being the only Premier League club without a single arrest for racist behaviour over the prior two seasons - but why let the facts get in the way, hey).
The figures don't mean anything for arrests - it could demonstrate that they don't take racism seriously enough (ie they aren't arresting enough).

Tottenham have on the highest records for racism arrests - 2 a year for the last 5 years but that could be visiting fans. :dunno:

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:00 pm

The FA have awarded today’s FA Cup tie to Manchester United, accepting Patrice Evra's claim (after the referee had blown for full time) that his team had in fact scored at least ten goals and not just one.

The fact that no players, supporters or officials, nor TV cameras’ were able to confirm the other ten or more goals, did not mean that Mr. Evra's claim was false.

When interviewed (through an amateur interpreter) immediately after the game, the accused Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina admitted conceding one goal. This damning confession was enough to convince the FA panel that he must have conceded the other ten or more as claimed by Mr. Evra.

The FA found Mr. Evra to be a very convincing witness on account of the fact that he is such a lovely bloke, has never been in trouble before, and claims to be fluent in several languages.

Mr. Reina's testimony on the other hand was found to be totally unreliable in that he is Spanish (and we all know what they are like) and spoke mainly in Spanish through an interpreter.

As Mr. Reina had admitted to conceding one goal, the FA panel concluded that the probability was that he had conceded more than one. Mr. Evra would not have been so adamant if he hadn't.

The FA has therefore settled on Manchester United winning by a margin of 7 goals to 2 as the true final score.

Pepe Reina and Liverpool Football Club have the right to appeal the score within the next 24 hours, but not overturn the defeat.


Brilliant :clap:
Insert witty signature here

User avatar
Strontium Dog
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:28 am
About me: Sensitive little flower
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... om-adeyemi
No charges will be made against a Liverpool fan who was accused of racially abusing Oldham Athletic player Tom Adeyemi.

The 20-year-old midfielder was reduced to tears in the 79th minute of the January FA Cup clash at Anfield when he went to retrieve a ball from the Kop End.

Adeyemi, who is on loan at Boundary Park from Norwich City, appeared to confront a fan before being led away by team mates.

He made a statement to police after the match and a 20-year-old suspect from Aintree was identified from CCTV footage, arrested and bailed.

But the M.E.N. can reveal that lawyers have decided not prosecute after a number of other Liverpool fans came forward to give evidence in his support and a closer look was taken at video clips.
As if there was ever any doubt.

Of course, this man's exoneration won't be splashed all over the back pages like the faulty accusation was.
Insert witty signature here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest