8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Re: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Robert_S » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:46 am

FBM wrote:You're a Washington Redskins/Atlanta Braves fan?
No, University of Illinois.

What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:47 am

You racist BASTARD!! :mob:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Santa_Claus
Your Imaginary Friend
About me: Ho! Ho! Ho!

Post by Santa_Claus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 am

BREAKING NEWS!

Liverpool sign Diane Abbot on an 8 game loan deal from Racists United FC.

A Club spokesman said:

"We figure getting a fat nigger who hates white folks and can't keep mouth shut would add balance to the team"
I am Leader of all The Atheists in the world - FACT.

Come look inside Santa's Hole :ninja:

You want to hear the truth about Santa Claus???.....you couldn't handle the truth about Santa Claus!!!

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:59 am

:fp:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 pm

:hehe: You actually expected a rational debate about liverpool fc with a liverpool fc supporter klr. :what:
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Strontium Dog wrote: ...

You're the one damning Suarez as a racist on the basis of zero proof other than Evra's word.
You're the one damning Liverpool fans as racists on the basis of absolutely nothing in the way of facts.
I didn't call Suarez racist. Please prove otherwise. I've quite properly stated and commented on the fact that he's been punished for racist comments.

You on the other hand have called some of use here racist:

Subject: 8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments
Strontium Dog wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Does seem a tad harsh to judge someone according to a freely offered confession.
Confession to what? He used the non-offensive Spanish word negro once. A term Suarez's wife uses to describe him. A term that some of Evra's team-mates use themselves.
HomerJay wrote:They haven't appealed because the lawyers will have said claiming it was only a little teeny bit racist isn't the best defense.
It's not racist at all.
The only racists here are the cultural supremacists applying English standards to a speaker of Rioplatense Spanish. Fucking Nazi cunts.
Racist and Nazis. Nice going.
Strontium Dog wrote: I'm the only one engaging in reasoned discourse here. It's clear that your contempt for "football tribalism" is blinding you to reasoned discussion.
Your discourse is anything but reasoned, end of story. It's a case of "my player/club, right or wrong".
Strontium Dog wrote: So does this mean you condemn all the fans who target Luis Suarez then? Perhaps you might want to put his behaviour in that context? (and pigs might fly)
Players can expect to be taunted in respect of things that they've done wrong, or even been accused of having done (and not just on the football pitch). There have to be limits to that: If what the Fulham fans chanted was over the top (one's mileage may vary), then Liverpool can of course lodge a protest, and I would support their right to do so. But hurling abuse at a player for no valid reason at all is completely out.
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:I've never seen that sort of taunting at rugby matches, no matter how intense the rivalry between the sides, no matter how big the stakes, no matter how big the crowd.
Rugby is shit, I'm not surprised it fails to arouse the same kind of passion.
Really? You've never been to a rugby match then? :tea:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:40 pm

redunderthebed wrote::hehe: You actually expected a rational debate about liverpool fc with a liverpool fc supporter klr. :what:
Maybe you can point out the irrationality in anything I've written. I won't hold my breath.
klr wrote:I didn't call Suarez racist. Please prove otherwise. I've quite properly stated and commented on the fact that he's been punished for racist comments.
It's quite disingenuous to claim that someone using racist comments isn't a racist.
klr wrote:You on the other hand have called some of use here racist:
I didn't direct that comment at anyone in particular, nor limited it to people on the forum.
klr wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I'm the only one engaging in reasoned discourse here. It's clear that your contempt for "football tribalism" is blinding you to reasoned discussion.
Your discourse is anything but reasoned, end of story. It's a case of "my player/club, right or wrong".
Except it isn't, is it? The fact it's my club is incidental. Nobody has presented a single piece of solid evidence to demonstrate racist comments by either Suarez or any Liverpool fan.

Do you think it's reasonable to condemn people on hearsay? I don't. I believe it's rational to only judge people based on evidence. Let me know when you have some.
klr wrote:Really? You've never been to a rugby match then? :tea:
I've been to one rugby match, the 2000 Rugby League World Cup final at a half full Old Trafford. It was meh.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote: ...
klr wrote:I didn't call Suarez racist. Please prove otherwise. I've quite properly stated and commented on the fact that he's been punished for racist comments.
It's quite disingenuous to claim that someone using racist comments isn't a racist.
:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

That's :bs:, complete and utter :bs:. I criticised the action, not the person. By your reasoning, if I were to accuse you of lying about some matter or other, then I would also be calling you a liar at the same time. It's your argument which is disingenuous. But I'm not actually calling you disingenuous. Get the distinction?
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:You on the other hand have called some of use here racist:
I didn't direct that comment at anyone in particular, nor limited it to people on the forum.
:bs: again. Even if I accepted your very much belated explanation (which I don't), the comments were still directed at me and other participants in this thread. Like Luis Suarez, you ought to be a great deal more careful about what you say.
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I'm the only one engaging in reasoned discourse here. It's clear that your contempt for "football tribalism" is blinding you to reasoned discussion.
Except it isn't, is it? The fact it's my club is incidental.
:bs: for a third time. When I see you defending a player from another club in such an ill-reasoned, protracted and bellicose manner, then I might believe you.
Strontium Dog wrote: Nobody has presented a single piece of solid evidence to demonstrate racist comments by either Suarez or any Liverpool fan.
Suarez has been convicted, despite your seemingly interminable protestations. And he/Liverpool will not appeal.

As to the other case: contrary to your bald assertions yesterday, the matter is very much ongoing, and someone has since been arrested. We are free to air our beliefs and speculation about what happened, just as you are to air yours. And if it turns out that there is no conviction ... why then we will still be free to claim that there was. :levi:
Strontium Dog wrote: Do you think it's reasonable to condemn people on hearsay? I don't. I believe it's rational to only judge people based on evidence. Let me know when you have some.
As I've said before: Read the report. All of it, but especially pp 97-101. :read:
Strontium Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Really? You've never been to a rugby match then? :tea:
I've been to one rugby match, the 2000 Rugby League World Cup final at a half full Old Trafford. It was meh.
Try Rugby Union then.

That's all I have to say to you, because I'm now placing you on my "ignore" list.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:Maybe you can point out the irrationality in anything I've written.
If I may:
Strontium Dog wrote:You started any invective with snide comments about my football club.

Fucking sick of people attacking me vicariously and feigning ignorance.
http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 5#p1086729 (6th January 2012)

This^^ is an irrational comment, for at least these reasons:

1) There are no posts by you that contain the word "Liverpool", "football", "club", "support" or "supporter" in any of our subforums, which would have identified you as a Liverpool supporter before the one I quoted above. It is irrational to believe that other people have motives that would be based on something that they don't know.

2) Even if for some reason 1) were not true - and you are welcome to present evidence to show that - it is irrational to equate criticism of a large organization with a negative message about/for one person, who is (loosely & unofficially) connected with that organization.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:12 pm

klr wrote:That's :bs:, complete and utter :bs:. I criticised the action, not the person.
It's a specious distinction. People are defined by their actions.
klr wrote::bs: again. Even if I accepted your very much belated explanation (which I don't), the comments were still directed at me and other participants in this thread. Like Luis Suarez, you ought to be a great deal more careful about what you say.
The comments were directed at anyone they apply to. However, they were not specifically aimed at anyone in this thread. I don't particularly care whether you think they were or not.
klr wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:The fact it's my club is incidental.
:bs: for a third time. When I see you defending a player from another club in such an ill-reasoned, protracted and bellicose manner, then I might believe you.
You keep calling my argument "ill-reasoned" but still have provided ZERO evidence of this ill-reasoning. I wonder why...
klr wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:Nobody has presented a single piece of solid evidence to demonstrate racist comments by either Suarez or any Liverpool fan.
Suarez has been convicted, despite your seemingly interminable protestations. And he/Liverpool will not appeal.
Yes, and? Suarez was convicted (so the panel says) on the balance of probability, on a judgement based solely on his word against someone elses. This is not solid evidence however much you would like it to be.
klr wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:Do you think it's reasonable to condemn people on hearsay? I don't. I believe it's rational to only judge people based on evidence. Let me know when you have some.
As I've said before: Read the report. All of it, but especially pp 97-101. :read:
Let me save you and anyone else the trouble of reading the report: it contains absolutely ZERO proof that Suarez said what he was accused of saying. In a crowded penalty area, not one single other player heard Suarez say anything to Evra.
klr wrote:That's all I have to say to you, because I'm now placing you on my "ignore" list.
Thanks for admitting you have no comeback to any of my arguments.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Ronja wrote:This^^ is an irrational comment, for at least these reasons:

1) There are no posts by you that contain the word "Liverpool", "football", "club", "support" or "supporter" in any of our subforums, which would have identified you as a Liverpool supporter before the one I quoted above. It is irrational to believe that other people have motives that would be based on something that they don't know.
And you know, if the location I've been using since day one of joining this forum hadn't been "Liverpool, UK", you might have a valid point.

Unfortunately for the point you were trying to make, people are able to see my location and add 2 and 2 pretty easily.

Twoflower
Queen of Slugs
About me: Twoflower is the optimistic-but-naive tourist. He often runs into danger, being certain that nothing bad will happen to him since he is not involved. He also believes in the fundamental goodness of human nature and that all problems can be resolved, if all parties show good will and cooperate.

Post by Twoflower » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:43 pm

I wouldn't have assumed you to be a Liverpool fan just because you live in Liverpool. For example I live in Glasgow but am not a fan of the Rangers or the Celtics. Also not many people pay attention to the locations or even bother to look at them.
I'm wild just like a rock, a stone, a tree
And I'm free, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I flow, just like a brook, a stream, the rain
And I fly, just like a bird up in the sky
And I'll surely die, just like a flower plucked
And dragged away and thrown away
And then one day it turns to clay
It blows away, it finds a ray, it finds its way
And there it lays until the rain and sun
Then I breathe, just like the wind the breeze that blows
And I grow, just like a baby breastfeeding
And it's beautiful, that's life

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:00 am

Twoflower wrote:I wouldn't have assumed you to be a Liverpool fan just because you live in Liverpool. For example I live in Glasgow but am not a fan of the Rangers or the Celtics. Also not many people pay attention to the locations or even bother to look at them.
Which is utterly disgraceful, since they may miss that I live in simply the best city in the known universe! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 am

JimC wrote:
Twoflower wrote:I wouldn't have assumed you to be a Liverpool fan just because you live in Liverpool. For example I live in Glasgow but am not a fan of the Rangers or the Celtics. Also not many people pay attention to the locations or even bother to look at them.
Which is utterly disgraceful, since they may miss that I live in simply the best city in the known universe! :lay:
Er - I would rather say that it is impossible to ignore that you live in Melbourne, seeing as 638 of your posts have included the word "Melbourne" since February 2009. :biggrin:

It's a pity our search does not do three-letter words, so I cannot verify that you have your priorities right - but I am thoroughly convinced that you have posted considerably more often about gin... :coffee:

OT:
Whereas Strontium Dog has posted zero posts about Liverpool and only four posts about football before this thread (and no OPs in the Sport subforum). Therefore I find that his belief - that it would be clear to everyone that he is an avid supporter of Liverpool FC based on his location information only - is too big a leap of faith. It is IMO not realistic to assume that (many or most) other members here would draw such a conclusion based on so little information.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Magicziggy

8-match ban for Luis Suarez racist comments

Post by Magicziggy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am

I support spurs btw. I have mentioned this before on this site. I used to go to the games as a kid.

The issue of club loyalty is irrelevant in this discussion. Suarez is guilty of displaying racist behavior because an independent review of the evidence made that conclusion.

He should not, however, be labelled a racist. That judgement should be based on the balance of his actions over a much wider span of time and events.