That There World Cup of Winning Football.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
macdoc
Twitcher

Re: That There World Cup of Winning Football.

Post by macdoc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:37 pm

good game
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:47 pm

macdoc wrote:good game
Indeed. With the USA, you are usually guaranteed at the very least an interesting game. There are some "established" football countries you can't say that about.

The quarter-final line-up, filched from the Beeb:

Brazil v Colombia, Friday 4 July 21:00 BST

France v Germany, Friday July 4 17:00 BST

Netherlands v Costa Rica, Saturday 5 July 21:00 BST

Argentina v Belgium, Saturday 5 July 17:00 BST

BST = British Summer Time

There's not much history to the Netherlands v. Costa Rica, but all the other games have history a plenty.

Especially France v. Germany. The Napoleonic wars, The Franco-Prussian war, World War I, World War II ... oh yes, and the 1982 and 1986 World Cup semi-finals. I think the Germans are leading 4-2 ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Belgium had 39 shots! Even the USA had 17!

Seriously crap defending, tempered only by seriously shit shooting.

Against England, Uruguay only managed 8.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:59 pm

HomerJay wrote:Belgium had 39 shots! Even the USA had 17!

Yes, but which was the more entertaining game? For the neutral at least. :tea:

And the Beeb says Tim Howard made 15 saves. The last time a keeper made that many saves in finals game was, oh, Packie Bonner for Ireland v. England in 1988. I remember that very well. I bet Gary Lineker does too. :hehe:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

HomerJay

Post by HomerJay » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 pm

klr wrote:

Seeing Suarez score those brilliant goals isn't entertaining?

It's like saying Doncaster v Scunthorpe is entertaining because they attack more, even though the efforts are painful to watch.

Babel

Post by Babel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 am

HomerJay wrote:
klr wrote:

It's like saying Doncaster v Scunthorpe is entertaining because they attack more, even though the efforts are painful to watch.
Are you saying that last night the game was painful to watch? :ask:

If that's so, I might suggest that you are part of a very small minority. It was the most open 1/8 finals on this championship which gave us some entertaining football. As both teams weren't turtling, the defense could indeed have been better as players can't be contributing to the attack AND defending at all times.
On the other hand, you could say that in the other 1/8 finals the equilibrium was not there either, but it was the attacking that was lacking.

edit: I didn't see the Columbia game, so I'll have to exclude that one from my statement that this was the most open game of all.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:45 am

I won $5. Yay, Belgians! :cheer:

Can't even buy waffles with my winnings. :sadcheer:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:39 am

Clearly, the Europe/South America axis is the defining feature of modern soccer...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 pm

South American team will win. Has a European team ever won in SA and a SA team won in Europe in the world cup?

When it was hosted in South Africa, a European team won and in Korea/Japan, a SA team won.
Twit, twat, twaddle.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm

JimC wrote:Clearly, the Europe/South America axis is the defining feature of modern soccer...
Actually, it's been that way ever since the World Cup started in 1930. It's the rarest of rare things for an Asian/African/North or Central American country to even reach the semi-finals.
SteveB wrote:South American team will win. Has a European team ever won in SA and a SA team won in Europe in the world cup?

When it was hosted in South Africa, a European team won and in Korea/Japan, a SA team won.
No and Yes, respectively:

Spain in South Africa 2010 were the first European side to win in a finals staged outside Europe.

Brazil won it's first World Cup in Sweden in 1958. Brazil also won in Mexico (1970), the USA (1994) and Japan/South Korea (2002). The only time Brazil won in South America was in Chile in 1962. Argentina also won in Mexico in 1986.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Babel wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
klr wrote:

Are you saying that last night the game was painful to watch? :ask:

If that's so, I might suggest that you are part of a very small minority. It was the most open 1/8 finals on this championship which gave us some entertaining football. As both teams weren't turtling, the defense could indeed have been better as players can't be contributing to the attack AND defending at all times.
On the other hand, you could say that in the other 1/8 finals the equilibrium was not there either, but it was the attacking that was lacking.
That's how I see it as well. You're playing a knock-out match. If you're not even not creating any good scoring chances, try harder, even at the expense of leaving your own defence less secure. That's the problem with the penalty shoot-out IMHO: Teams know that it's always there, and it seems more acceptable to lose in a shoot-out than to go down fighting in regulation play.
Babel wrote: edit: I didn't see the Columbia game, so I'll have to exclude that one from my statement that this was the most open game of all.
The Columbia game wasn't as good as the Belgium v. USA or Germany v. Algeria games. It was a much tighter game. Even with Suarez, Uruguay would never have played the open football we saw in those other two games.

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:32 pm

klr wrote: No and Yes, respectively:

Spain in South Africa 2010 were the first European side to win in a finals staged outside Europe.

Brazil won it's first World Cup in Sweden in 1958. Brazil also won in Mexico (1970), the USA (1994) and Japan/South Korea (2002). The only time Brazil won in South America was in Chile in 1962. Argentina also won in Mexico in 1986.

So it's only happened once. I call that a statistically significant trend.
Twit, twat, twaddle.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:18 pm

SteveB wrote:
klr wrote: No and Yes, respectively:

So it's only happened once. I call that a statistically significant trend.
Yes, but that once was the most recent World Cup, so ... :tea:

Anyway, judging by the Brazil - Colombia match just now, it's OK to foul in this World Cup, if you're Brazilian. :what:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Or if you've had a Brazilian...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr

Post by klr » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:37 pm

JimC wrote:Or if you've had a Brazilian...
The mind boggles ... :hehe: