That There World Cup of Winning Football.

For (slightly) serious discussion of things involving balls and a lot of effort (that aren't sex!)
SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Re: That There World Cup of Winning Football.

Post by SteveB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:01 am

klr wrote:
SteveB wrote:
klr wrote: No and Yes, respectively:

Spain in South Africa 2010 were the first European side to win in a finals staged outside Europe.

Brazil won it's first World Cup in Sweden in 1958. Brazil also won in Mexico (1970), the USA (1994) and Japan/South Korea (2002). The only time Brazil won in South America was in Chile in 1962. Argentina also won in Mexico in 1986.

So it's only happened once. I call that a statistically significant trend.
Yes, but that once was the most recent World Cup, so ... :tea:

Anyway, judging by the Brazil - Colombia match just now, it's OK to foul in this World Cup, if you're Brazilian. :what:
My argument didn't include continents outside of SA or Europe, so the only aberration is Brazil winning in Sweden.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Anyway, Brazil beat Columbia and Germany beat France. I would have put my money on both those results. For some reason, I had a dream last night where France won today's match. :dunno:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:03 am

My point is that people usually report only when they dream the correct result and that's where crazy psychics come from. Confirmation bias.
Twit, twat, twaddle.

Babel

Post by Babel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 am

At least we got to see some solid defending on both quarter finals.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:46 pm

That's one way of putting it. I was driven to distraction watching the Netherlands - Costa Rica game. :banghead:

But at least I saw a "first" ... bringing on a sub goalkeeper just for the penalty shoot-out.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Babel

Post by Babel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 am

I loathed the naieve way our team started the game. Making the assumption that Argentina will need as many chances to score as the US did was a bit... dumb, especially with those offensive players.

After that, we lacked speed and creativity to bust through. Overall, disappointing performance.
Same goes for the Netherlands who got lucky that Costa Rica didn't get a penalty for the body check in the box. (indi was the dutch defender, i think?)

SteveB
Nibbler

Post by SteveB » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Predictions: Brazil will win despite short two great players and Argentina will win.

I'm not willing to put any money on that, though! :biggrin:
Twit, twat, twaddle.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Zee Germans!
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm

4-0 after 25 minutes. Gott in Himmel! :shock:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Make that 5-0.

Babel

Post by Babel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm

God fucking dammit, pissing arsewipes. For ONCE I didn't start watching from minute 1.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm

I suspect you've missed most if not all of the goals, unless Brazil pull a few back. Germany are sitting back and defending, and their keeper has had to make several saves.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Six! Six German goals.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Seven! Seven German goals.

... a record score for a World Cup semi-final.

Babel

Post by Babel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm

One. One Brazilian goal.

One is less than 7.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 pm

7-1 ... I had an inking beforehand that the Germans could cut Brazil open, but not quite like this.

I got a text from one of my brothers a few minutes ago, saying that he could sense what was going to happen once Germany got the first goal.