In search of ethics....

floppit
Forum Mebmer

In search of ethics....

Post by floppit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 am

I fancied learning a little more about ethics as a subject, just for fun and some stimulation. I have found forums really good for learning, from the range of ideas (not locked to a single author or approach) to motivation for study, reading around topics and refining responses to simply being around people that are more educated and able in a particular area.

So - I looked for an ethics forum yesterday and was distinctly disappointed. I found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/F2213237 but it looks closed (maybe just over night?) and the responses didn't seem all that stimulating, it didn't have that golden feeling of being out-gunned, the one where learning fast is for the taking, the pleasant 'little fish in a big pond' feeling.

Charlou said she was also interested in the subject in it's own right and I'm wondering if there are others here who fancy it?

Anyone bored enough to see if they can turn up something exciting on the web?

If there really is a bit of a lack out there, would anyone else here like the idea of making our own ethics odyssey? Seeing if we can start to get some referenced threads? Just taking topics and looking outwards rather than inwards for ethics stuff?
"Whatever it is, it spits and it goes 'WAAARGHHHHHHHH' - that's probably enough to suggest you shouldn't argue with it." Mousy.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: In search of ethics....

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:39 am

To paraphrase Goebbels, when I hear the word "ethics", I reach for my gin bottle... :biggrin:

But seriously, it is an interesting topic. Basically:

1. Distrust the naturalistic fallacy

2. Rawls has much to offer...

3. Carefully steering around #1, I have a strong suspicion that some deep features of our evolved hominid nature can provide some grounding in biologically sound ethics. Living in a social group is the key aspect to the selective pressures which have moulded us over millions of years. The tension between seeking the good of the group by cooperation and selfless behaviour on the one hand, and the need to look after number one on the other hand, is lurking in the background of the philosophy of any system of ethics...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 am

JimC wrote:To paraphrase Goebbels, when I hear the word "ethics", I reach for my gin bottle... :biggrin:

But seriously, it is an interesting topic. Basically:

1. Distrust the naturalistic fallacy

2. Rawls has much to offer...

3. Carefully steering around #1, I have a strong suspicion that some deep features of our evolved hominid nature can provide some grounding in biologically sound ethics. Living in a social group is the key aspect to the selective pressures which have moulded us over millions of years. The tension between seeking the good of the group by cooperation and selfless behaviour on the one hand, and the need to look after number one on the other hand, is lurking in the background of the philosophy of any system of ethics...
I think it's many of the issues you highlight above that attract me to it as a subject. Personally, I find I learn lots from consciously noting underpinning rationality, or even when things can function without such an underpinning, just because we are social creatures! In the latter case I tend towards curiosity, wanting to discover 'why' something works without a readily visible rational, to identify what it is we practice as social creatures and what effect it has.

I had a fantastic ethics book a couple of years ago but lost it and can't remember who the author was - deeply, deeply annoying! I like A. C. Grayling and Julian Baggini.
"Whatever it is, it spits and it goes 'WAAARGHHHHHHHH' - that's probably enough to suggest you shouldn't argue with it." Mousy.

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:57 pm

floppit wrote:I fancied learning a little more about ethics as a subject, just for fun and some stimulation. I have found forums really good for learning, from the range of ideas (not locked to a single author or approach) to motivation for study, reading around topics and refining responses to simply being around people that are more educated and able in a particular area.

So - I looked for an ethics forum yesterday and was distinctly disappointed. I found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/F2213237 but it looks closed (maybe just over night?) and the responses didn't seem all that stimulating, it didn't have that golden feeling of being out-gunned, the one where learning fast is for the taking, the pleasant 'little fish in a big pond' feeling.

Charlou said she was also interested in the subject in it's own right and I'm wondering if there are others here who fancy it?

Anyone bored enough to see if they can turn up something exciting on the web?

If there really is a bit of a lack out there, would anyone else here like the idea of making our own ethics odyssey? Seeing if we can start to get some referenced threads? Just taking topics and looking outwards rather than inwards for ethics stuff?
I haven't participated on this forum in a while since I am a member of my own society where I live, but you might find some interesting topics to join in discussion here.

Ethical Society Without Walls
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for that Mai, it's an interesting site.

I've ordered myself a couple of real bargain Grayling books this am, 2 with postage for under £6! As I'm doing it for fun I haven't yet decided which may be the best way in. I still fancy something forum like, or a magazine to pop through my door.

I don't know that I want to get into the outer edges of philosophy, perhaps I'll change my mind, or movements trying to induce change - at least not right now. I just to learn a little, have a 'looksy'.

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 pm

floppit wrote:Thanks for that Mai, it's an interesting site.

I've ordered myself a couple of real bargain Grayling books this am, 2 with postage for under £6! As I'm doing it for fun I haven't yet decided which may be the best way in. I still fancy something forum like, or a magazine to pop through my door.

I don't know that I want to get into the outer edges of philosophy, perhaps I'll change my mind, or movements trying to induce change - at least not right now. I just to learn a little, have a 'looksy'.
I know you usually buy used books, so I thought you might be interested in a couple of great titles, one for you and one for your wee one that you might want to consider keeping an eye out for. The author Arthur Dobrin writes a lot on the subject of ethics.

For you, the book Ethics for Everyone by Arthur Dobrin.

Our society has a study group where we have taken one chapter of this book, read it, then we discussed the situational ethics scenario he presents at the end of the chapter. Our study group discussion after have been some of the liveliest and most thought AND heart provoking discussions I have ever had with others. His writing is simple, direct and not the least bit unwieldy, which I have found books on the subject can be sometimes.

For your little one:

Love Your Neighbor - Stories of Values and Virtues

What's great about these stories is they don't end with a moral, they end by asking a question about the story that provokes thinking and discussion on morals and values. The illustrations are just superb. I loved reading this book with my nephew.

To accompany this book, is a free PDF of the program the sunday school teachers at Ethical Culture use in conjunction with the book for the children's education program.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Thank you for the recommendations - I'll keep my eye out for them. Munchkin is still very young, she's only just stringing 2 words together, but then she isn't 2 till April!