Murder.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Murder.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:05 pm

I think it "interesting" to consider the following:

Murdered for their beliefs:

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Robert Kennedy.
Ghandi.

Not murdered for their beliefs:

Adolf Hitler.
Joseph Stalin.
Pol Pot.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

War Arrow
Traitorous TAF Fifth Columnist
About me: gettin' ig'nant
Location: parked car outside your house with a dozen pork pies and a crate of brown ale

Re: Murder.

Post by War Arrow » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Benito Mussolini?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:06 pm

War Arrow wrote:Benito Mussolini?
True. There are obvious cases on the obverse for each. Mengele was hanged, as was Saddam. And Darwin lived to be a ripe old age.

I would say, however, that murder is more often the weapon of choice against "liberal" thought.

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Wouldn't assassination attempts be a better way to make the comparison?
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:24 pm

maiforpeace wrote:Wouldn't assassination attempts be a better way to make the comparison?
Hitler had over 40 verifiable attempts made on him during WWII. :eddy:

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:Wouldn't assassination attempts be a better way to make the comparison?
Indeed. My mother worked for General Hans Speidel for a number of years after the war. Apparently he went to his grave, never betraying his involvement in his assassination attempt against Hitler.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:34 pm

maiforpeace wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Indeed. My mother worked for General Hans Speidel for a number of years after the war. Apparently he went to his grave, never betraying his involvement in his assassination attempt against Hitler.
Ach, Operation Valkyrie.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
It stands to reason that fascistic dictators that are despised by a sizable proportion of their country's population are going to take great care when it comes to personal security (often to the extent of preemptive elimination of assassination risks) due to there being a lot more people that are likely to want them dead and prepared to take great risks to facilitate that state of affairs.

A liberal, populist leader, on the other hand, is likely to consider that the benefits of personal contact with their people outweighs a far lesser risk of being shot at. They therefore would put themselves into situations where a determined assassin could get a shot off far more than the Hitlers and Stalins of this world.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
It stands to reason that fascistic dictators that are despised by a sizable proportion of their country's population are going to take great care when it comes to personal security (often to the extent of preemptive elimination of assassination risks) due to there being a lot more people that are likely to want them dead and prepared to take great risks to facilitate that state of affairs.

A liberal, populist leader, on the other hand, is likely to consider that the benefits of personal contact with their people outweighs a far lesser risk of being shot at. They therefore would put themselves into situations where a determined assassin could get a shot off far more than the Hitlers and Stalins of this world.
And all three of the people on my "Murdered" list were "campaigning" in one fashion or another.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

And all three of the people on my "Murdered" list were "campaigning" in one fashion or another.
They were all killed while out 'pressing the flesh' in one form or another, with minimal, unobtrusive security. If, in an alternate universe, Hitler had driven through Daley Plaza, nobody would have been allowed within a mile of the place without a search for weapons (and they would all have been hand-picked nazi supporters in any case) and there would have been as many security people as spectators. Also, any buildings overlooking the route (things like... oh, I don't know.... book depositories) would have been thoroughly searched and locked up before Adolf was even in Texas!
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

They were all killed while out 'pressing the flesh' in one form or another, with minimal, unobtrusive security. If, in an alternate universe, Hitler had driven through Daley Plaza, nobody would have been allowed within a mile of the place without a search for weapons (and they would all have been hand-picked nazi supporters in any case) and there would have been as many security people as spectators. Also, any buildings overlooking the route (things like... oh, I don't know.... book depositories) would have been thoroughly searched and locked up before Adolf was even in Texas!
The Hitler Bodyguard was certainly well staffed. They also got the best equipment. When wargaming the Battle of the Bulge the German units got an attack factor of "3", the Americans got a "4", and the Hitler Bodyguard got a "12".

And it's "Dealey", not Daly. Daly was the shogun of Chicago.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:The Hitler Bodyguard was certainly well staffed. They also got the best equipment. When wargaming the Battle of the Bulge the German units got an attack factor of "3", the Americans got a "4", and the Hitler Bodyguard got a "12".

Shameful typo is shameful. :tea:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:The Hitler Bodyguard was certainly well staffed. They also got the best equipment. When wargaming the Battle of the Bulge the German units got an attack factor of "3", the Americans got a "4", and the Hitler Bodyguard got a "12".

Shameful typo is shameful. :tea:
That's okay, just jump in the limo and I'll take on you on a tour of the Plaza. :hehe:

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Post by Don't Panic » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
5 of those were me, the prissy Austrian bitch owed me money, tried to pay me with ReichMarks,

I was like, "Bitch, I want a currency I can use for something other than wiping my ass, now give me my money."
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:07 am

DP wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
5 of those were me, the prissy Austrian bitch owed me money, tried to pay me with ReichMarks,

I was like, "Bitch, I want a currency I can use for something other than wiping my ass, now give me my money."
I hope you bitch-slapped the pussy! :nono:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur