Re: Bullshit is useful

Post by Animavore » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 am
Animavore wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:19 am
Hermit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 am
Trump's approval rating has improved by 3.5 percentage points in the past two weeks.
- Among his base.
(Dis)approval ratings imply electoral appeal, animavore. Trump's electoral appeal has improved by 3.5 percentage points in the past fortnight.
Among his base.

http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1858108
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 am

Animavore wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am
Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Trump's approval rating has improved by 3.5 percentage points in the past two weeks.
- Among his base.
(Dis)approval ratings imply electoral appeal, animavore. Trump's electoral appeal has improved by 3.5 percentage points in the past fortnight.
Among his base.
I read the article when you posted it yesterday, and reread it just now in light of what you posted. Please quote the bit that explains how a rising approval rate does not necessarily imply electoral appeal to more people. A political base approves of the politician it supports by definition. Stronger loyalty will not increase the number of people who approve of that politician's policies. It will only intensify it. What am I missing?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:11 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:31 am
The polls show he can do it. Surely it's too late for another candidate to come forward. Majority of delegates have already been won.
I hope it isn't too late.

Even more, I hope their last minute candidate isn't Hillary.

That Cuomo guy is being hinted at, but I hope there will be a better one.

Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:53 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:19 pm

jaysus_christ.png

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:05 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 am
Animavore wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am
Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Hermit wrote:
- Among his base.
Among his base.
I read the article when you posted it yesterday, and reread it just now in light of what you posted. Please quote the bit that explains how a rising approval rate does not necessarily imply electoral appeal to more people. A political base approves of the politician it supports by definition. Stronger loyalty will not increase the number of people who approve of that politician's policies. It will only intensify it. What am I missing?
Seems I misinterpreted it. Anyway, she thinks the bump won't last.

Neither do I if the bodies start piling.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:31 pm

That's the key, innit? Bodies piling up, I mean.

So far we're doing OK, got about a 1.7% death rate which is low compared to a lot of other places. But who knows? Shit could get ugly fast. I'm certainly avoiding other ground apes as much as possible, but there are a fuckton of idiots out there who aren't.

I'm embarrassed for our species.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:42 pm

The initial paper suggest a 2% mortality rate among all people who contract the virus. Epidemiological studies suggest anything from 50-80% infection rates among the general population. 2% of 50% of the US population is around 3.2 million. For context, in 2018 there were 2.8 million registered deaths.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:42 pm
The initial paper suggest a 2% mortality rate among all people who contract the virus. Epidemiological studies suggest anything from 50-80% infection rates among the general population. 2% of 50% of the US population is around 3.2 million. For context, in 2018 there were 2.8 million registered deaths.
There would be a fair bit of overlap between those figures. Older people who would have died in a given year from whatever will now instead die from coronavirus...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm

The broader point about there being “nobody here” to coordinate the response sells short what’s in place to handle an outbreak.

The public health system has a playbook to follow for pandemic preparation — regardless of who’s president or whether specific instructions are coming from the White House. Those plans were put into place in anticipation of another flu pandemic, but are designed to work for any respiratory-borne disease.

Among the health authorities overseeing the work are Dr. Anne Schuchat, CDC’s principal deputy director and a veteran of previous outbreaks, and Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIH’s infectious disease chief who has advised six presidents.
Is there a single claim that hasn't grossly distorted reality? Why shouldn't I care about that?

https://apnews.com/d36d6c4de29f4d04beda3db00cb46104

I hope people regardless of their political affiliation will see that it's unhelpful to keep piling on claims when so many previous ones have been shown to be misleading.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Is testing bullshit?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... omponents/
Britain’s attempt to ramp up mass coronavirus testing has been dealt a blow after key components ordered from overseas were discovered to be contaminated with coronavirus, the Telegraph can disclose.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm

--fingers crossed they didn't order them from us.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Oh, it isn't the first article I've read about equipment contaminated with corona virus. It's why I suspect it of bullshittery.

Implication is mostly that it is sabotage by an unnamed authoritarian regime.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: