How far is too far when collecting a debt?

User avatar
Joe
Posts: 2003
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 am
Location: The Hovel under the Mountain
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Joe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 am

Yeah, that's what Michael Moore's movie Sicko was about. How bad luck drove people with insurance into bankruptcy.

The ACA improved things, but the possibility of being impoverished by medical debt is still a reality. As long as people are dependent upon their employers for insurance, they are exposed by unemployment or a change in jobs to the possibility of exorbitant bills that aren't covered. The hospital chain featured in the article Sean linked charges outrageously for the services they provide, and they aren't the only one. The insured are protected from this thievery, but the under-insured and uninsured are billed 3 to 4 times what insurance will pay.

It creates an incentive for unscrupulous healthcare businesses to view these unfortunate folks as an opportunity for profit. We hear about the people who can't pay and had their wages garnished and homes taken away, but most pay over time, and are a lucrative source of income. It's a fucked up system, but the corruption of our government lets these criminals buy its support, so that their victims have no recourse or possibility of justice.

I don't know where this is going, but I suspect it's nowhere good.

BTW. 42's facts didn't check out. The sources he cited didn't back up what he claimed, and when I asked him about it (twice), he didn't respond. I posted the real info. I can dig it up again if you're interested.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"as far as strong, i am hard as a rock and tough as a nail. no one will bring me down. no one. i am the debonator. the tnt. and jesus has my back door pal!" - D. C. Bockemehl
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20802
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:59 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:06 am
rainbow wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:28 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:41 am
I dispute that this is taking the term 'violence' beyond its usual meaning.
The term that covers this is 'coercion'.
Then in this case coercion becomes a form of violence - a deliberate act intended to harm - ...
In which case debt collection is not classifiable under the rubric of "violence". While debt collections often do result in harm, that is not the intent. Knowing that an action results in harm is not synonymous with intending the action to be harmful.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20802
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:08 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 am
People freely choose to take out the loans. Remember, most of the people without insurance choose to have no insurance.
Invoking free will now? :roll:

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50902
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:45 am

Invoking your face.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25111
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 pm

You can't let it lie can you? :roll:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
And to preempt your reply, a point I've already made and which you haven't addressed, usury refers to interest on loans. Not exclusively to excessive levels of interest.
So you say.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:16 am
...
"A loan may be considered usurious because of excessive or abusive interest rates OR other factors defined by a nation's laws." - Wiki
--- my bold :tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
...
And even if it was solely excessive levels of interest, it still doesn't make loans of that type violence.
I never said that it did.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm
...
If I'd said that loaning people money was a deliberate act intended to harm in every instance you might have had an excellent point.
But I would consider a loan usurious when an arrangement unfairly favours or enriches a lender and is a detriment to the borrower's wellbeing. An no, I'm not saying that the hardship one might endure in paying back a loan is the same as the harm you might suffer in trying to service a debt the conditions of which you can never meet. :tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
...
No stretching of the world violence can make it so.
I'm not stretching the world, or the word. I've said that I consider violence to be a deliberate act intended to cause harm.
:tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
And even further, you'd have to provide some evidence to suggest that significant portions of medical debt are subject to excessive/illegal levels of interest. Notwithstanding the first two points above.
Why? Because you've confused a proposition for a normative statement? For my part I think I've adequately explained when and how I think "debt is violence when it's usury" could hold true, in cases where people accrue unavoidable debts like expenses for immediate and necessary medical treatment and in circumstance where finance companies make a calculation that they're quids-in regardless of whether the borrower can service the debt or not. As I said earlier...
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm
...
[T]he point doesn't rest on whether people service their loans but on what basis and under what conditions they are obliged to do so.
Medical bankruptcies account for over two-thirds of all personal bankruptcies in the US. Is that portion 'significant' enough for you? In the US, how would a bankrupt pay for the third round of chemo they need to stand a chance of seeing their kid's next birthday?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50902
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:11 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 pm
You can't let it lie can you? :roll:
Why should I? You think you should get a free pass to make ridiculous statements? Talk about entitlement. :roll:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
And to preempt your reply, a point I've already made and which you haven't addressed, usury refers to interest on loans. Not exclusively to excessive levels of interest.
So you say.
So the dictionary says. :roll: :tea:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:16 am
...
"A loan may be considered usurious because of excessive or abusive interest rates OR other factors defined by a nation's laws." - Wiki
--- my bold :tea:
Your bold doesn't account for the fact that usury applies to ALL loans that are interest bearing. :tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
...
And even if it was solely excessive levels of interest, it still doesn't make loans of that type violence.
I never said that it did.
FFS, I've quoted you numerous times saying EXACTLY that. What's your malfunction? :tea:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm
...
If I'd said that loaning people money was a deliberate act intended to harm in every instance you might have had an excellent point.
But I would consider a loan usurious when an arrangement unfairly favours or enriches a lender and is a detriment to the borrower's wellbeing.
You can consider it however you want. It still doesn't change the facts of the matter. :tea:
An no, I'm not saying that the hardship one might endure in paying back a loan is the same as the harm you might suffer in trying to service a debt the conditions of which you can never meet. :tea:
I've made the point to you already, a point you didn't address of course, that the vast majority of medical debts are serviced without default. :tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
...
No stretching of the world violence can make it so.
I'm not stretching the world, or the word. I've said that I consider violence to be a deliberate act intended to cause harm.
:tea:
And I've repeatedly made the point to you that loaning people money isn't a "deliberate act intended to cause them harm". Implying that it is is just ridiculous hyperbole. :tea:
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 am
And even further, you'd have to provide some evidence to suggest that significant portions of medical debt are subject to excessive/illegal levels of interest. Notwithstanding the first two points above.
Why?
Because that's the definition of "usury" that you'd have to be operating under to even begin to make this retarded line of reasoning. :tea:
Because you've confused a proposition for a normative statement? For my part I think I've adequately explained when and how I think "debt is violence when it's usury" could hold true, in cases where people accrue unavoidable debts like expenses for immediate and necessary medical treatment and in circumstance where finance companies make a calculation that they're quids-in regardless of whether the borrower can service the debt or not. As I said earlier...
The cases where your ridiculous hyperbole could hold true are minor. Unless you want to present evidence to the contrary. I don't expect you will, as you've had plenty of chances to do it so far and haven't even made an attempt. :tea:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm
...
[T]he point doesn't rest on whether people service their loans but on what basis and under what conditions they are obliged to do so.
Medical bankruptcies account for over two-thirds of all personal bankruptcies in the US. Is that portion 'significant' enough for you? In the US, how would a bankrupt pay for the third round of chemo they need to stand a chance of seeing their kid's next birthday?
Dude, you said all interest bearing loans are violence. :fp: That's ridiculous hyperbole. You've since tried to walk back that statement in a disingenuous way by creating your own definition of what "usury" is. But it's just the same old story with you, Brian. An inability to admit you might have been wrong. It's the same thing thread after thread.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25111
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:14 am

OK, you win. The woman deserved everything she got for making a bad decision and her suffering wasn't violence, it was self-harm.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50902
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 am

Hyperbole overload. Medical debt isn't violence. To suggest it is is stretching the meaning of the word to absurdity.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 25111
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:19 am
Hyperbole overload.
Nope. Sarcasm. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50902
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:55 am

:tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
laklak
Posts: 17626
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: How far is too far when collecting a debt?

Post by laklak » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 am

Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors.

Fat fucking chance.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests