Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post Reply
User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: The Cleanest Climate in the World
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Seabass » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
NineBerry
Tame Wolf
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm
Location: nSk
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by NineBerry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Separation of Church and State done right


User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm
Image
..and black people? A sea of white faces.
Stone County, Arkansas has fewer than 13,000 people living in, and 97% of them are white. 1.3% are Latino/Hispanic. 1.6% are mixed. And, 0.1% are black. That's about 12 or 13 total black people in the entire county - I guess we should expect half of them to be cops.

What's the police force like in Caredigion County, Wales? In line with the demographics there, would you say? How about Aberdeenshire in Scotland? How many coppers there are black or brown? You've got 1/2 a million people in Cornwall, 99% of them are white. How brown is their police force? Rutland County?

Might see a sea of white faces there.

There in Stone County, it's a rural farming community of 12,500 people in the middle of the Ozarks which happens to be 97% white in a country that is still 77% white overall.

Here is what it looks like:

Image

No black people to be found! Good fly fishing, though.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm
The police issue is a serious one. I don't know if you've noticed but it's become normal to talk about who would win in an armed conflict between the progressive left in this country and the right.
Image
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: The Cleanest Climate in the World
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Seabass » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
God, you're insufferable.
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20602
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
No true Christian... :roll:

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
No true Christian... :roll:
Exactly!

You got the sarcastic point. Of course they're Christians and they act in accordance with their beliefs, which motivates them

Now apply that Islam....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
God, you're insufferable.
Damn Muslims, they're relentless, aren't they?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: The Cleanest Climate in the World
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:52 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
God, you're insufferable.
Damn Muslims, they're relentless, aren't they?
Indeed, they are. Wtf is your point?
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
Scot Dutchy
Posts: 12098
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 pm
About me: Dijk beschermer
Location: 's-Gravenhage, Nederland
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Does Dennis ever have a point? Pointless posts are the speciality of TC.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20602
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:26 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
No true Christian... :roll:
Exactly!

You got the sarcastic point. Of course they're Christians and they act in accordance with their beliefs, which motivates them

Now apply that Islam....
I always have, but with one bonus nuance you are missing. There are numerous posts of mine to that effect. I can't be bothered to search for them, so I just repeat: True Muslims, just like true Christians, have been murderous, saintly and everything in between. No matter what they do, they all claim to be the true followers of their respective religions. The Bible contains the equivalent of the Qur'an's "Pay, Oh Children of Adam, as you would love to be paid, and be just as you would love to have justice!" and the hadith's "As you would have people do to you, do to them; and what you dislike to be done to you, don't do to them. Now let the stirrup go!" [This maxim is enough for you; go and act in accordance with it!]". Conversely, the Qur'an contains the equivalent of the Bible's "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." There really isn't a lot of difference between those holy texts. Followers just pick from them what suits them at the time, and whatever they pick is always The Truth™.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Indeed. True that!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 24095
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 am

Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:35 pm
Seabass wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:19 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm
I can't even stand the Sheriffs riding around with "In God We Trust" plastered on their vehicles. Why is that okay?
Wtf? I didn't know that was happening. These damn christians are relentless.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /82762992/

Fuckin' Eisenhower... ;ob;
They don't do it because of their religion. It's a bastardization or corruption of their religion. They happen to be Christian, but you can't say that all of "them" are Christian. Really it's cultural a cultural practice, not a function of their religion. Other religions trust God too, so it's not because they're Christian. To blame it on Christians is to be a Christophobe.
:dance:
:dance:
No true Christian... :roll:
Getting a rise out of liberals seems a more pressing concern than whether teh cops' bandoliers contain the blessed bullets of Jesus.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Prayers before Legislative Bodies

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 pm

I mean, come on folks, it's a podunk county in north-central Arkansas, in the Ozark mountains, policing 12,500 people. It's like complaining that the Royal Motto of England is “God and my right” or "Dieu et Mon Droit." Or, Hungary's motto - With the help of God for Homeland and Freedom or, Leichtenstein "For God, Prince and Fatherland." (lol...so THAT'S where they went...) Monaco - "with God's help." Newfoundland, Canada - "Seek ye first the kingdom of God" - Poland "God, Honour, Homeland" - Russian Federation "God is With Us."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests