Yet more problematic stuff

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 am

I don't like eating children, but I can see why you might. :coffee:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:10 am
His absence has forced me to pick fights with Brian, rEv and Hermit from time to time. Not really much of a contest, but it fills in the time... :tea:
Liar! You and I have been fighting bitter battles over the the miserable dung heap you call Melbourne, with no quarters given or asked for, since before Coito Two opened his first account here on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am Central Australian time. First shots were exchanged on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm. You opened up a second front, this time about your conservative political views with a jibe about centrism on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:22 pm.

In short, we have been in a state of permanent, total war for around ten years preceding the start of 42's current hiatus, which he began on Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 pm. :x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:37 am

I wonder if CES will rise again from the ashes of his FortyTwo account, with a new name and yet another refusal to admit he is a sock account.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:37 am
I wonder if CES will rise again from the ashes of his FortyTwo account, with a new name and yet another refusal to admit he is a sock account.
He'll probably re-emerge as a mass shooter with a manifesto.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am

pErvinalia wrote:
He'll never comment on the number of his accounts as long as he knows how it riles you. It's just too much fun, and I must confess that it amuses me too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am
JimC wrote:
His absence has forced me to pick fights with Brian, rEv and Hermit from time to time. Not really much of a contest, but it fills in the time... :tea:
Liar! You and I have been fighting bitter battles over the the miserable dung heap you call Melbourne, with no quarters given or asked for, since before Coito Two opened his first account here on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am Central Australian time. First shots were exchanged on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm. You opened up a second front, this time about your conservative political views with a jibe about centrism on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:22 pm.

In short, we have been in a state of permanent, total war for around ten years preceding the start of 42's current hiatus, which he began on Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 pm. :x
Well of course people from South Australia would be angered and envious of the total domination of Australian cultural and intellectual life by the fortunate citizens of Melbourne...

It's a bit like Lichtenstein declaring war on Germany... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:05 am

Animavore wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am
pErvinalia wrote:
He'll probably re-emerge as a mass shooter with a manifesto.
:lol:

:?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 am
Hermit wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:32 am
JimC wrote:

Well of course people from South Australia would be angered and envious of the total domination of Australian cultural and intellectual life by the fortunate citizens of Melbourne...

It's a bit like Lichtenstein declaring war on Germany... :tea:
A rabid follower of aerial ping pong opining about culture? Now I've heard it all. You obviously have never bothered recalling state history. If you had, you would have noticed that while Don Dunstan dragged South Australia kicking and screaming into the 20th century between 1967 and 1979, Victoria's mindset remained firmly attached to the Old Dart until 1982, first under Sir Henry Bolte, then Rupert Hamer and Lindsay Thompson. So determined and successful were they to remain culturally backward that Daniel Andrews is still struggling vainly to catch up to the standard of civilised states today. Only Queensland prevents Victoria from being the wooden spooners in the culture department. Queensland and of course Kingscliff, that is.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 am

:lol:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

Quite a reasonable attempt at a response... :clap:

For a crow eater... :tea:
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

Adelaide, the only capital city to not have grown by any noticeable amount for the last 20 years.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 am

Actually, I wish we were not expanding so much. Putting the jokes aside, traffic and congestion is becoming a pain in the butt...
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
Adelaide, the only capital city to not have grown by any noticeable amount for the last 20 years.
Population growth is progress? Interesting concept.

Old prejudices linger on. The first time I flew to Adelaide the stewardesses (Yes, Ansett Airlines had stewardesses at the time. Being Melbourne based it naturally went broke in 2002 rather than join the 21st century.) said goodbye to us as we were about to land, by reminding us that we were now in a different time zone and advised us to turn our watches back by 30 minutes - and 30 years.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am

Putting your watches back 30mins? That's seems a little weird to me. Why not 15mins, or 10mins, or even put them back/forward 1min every time you travel 17.25 miles East or West (yes, I did the maths)?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am
Putting your watches back 30mins? That's seems a little weird to me. Why not 15mins, or 10mins, or even put them back/forward 1min every time you travel 17.25 miles East or West (yes, I did the maths)?
Good question. My guess is the answer amounts to not much more than "It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Most of the time zones on land are offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) by a whole number of hours (UTC−12:00 to UTC+14:00), but a few zones are offset by 30 or 45 minutes (e.g. Newfoundland Standard Time is UTC−03:30, Nepal Standard Time is UTC+05:45, and Indian Standard Time is UTC+05:30).

There was talk a couple of years ago to do away with the Central Australian Time Zone altogether and go with the eastern states' zone instead. Nothing came of it. Curiously, the difference between Western Australia and the rest of the continent would have become a whopping two hours.