Yet more problematic stuff

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:05 am

JimC wrote:Sorry, but this sort of gender argy-bargy seems to me like medieval theologians arguing about how many angels will fit on the end of a pin...
Perhaps, if the theological conflict was between inclusivists and exclusionists, in circumstances where the exclusionists were saying that the inclusivists shouldn't exist.
Many more serious issues than some academics expressing views about gender; the actual real oppression of non-hetero people all over the world, frequently violent and nasty...
People like Linehan and Rowling not only provide moral cover for the violent and nasty, but they perpetuate the narrative that the existence of the people on the recieving end of the violent and the nasty justify the abuse they endure by being unnatural and wrong. Objecting to, pushing back against, or resisting the view that your existence is illegitimate identifies one's unnatural wrongness and is usually taken as further justification for abuse - similar to the charges that we were intolerant, strident, radical, fundamentals and Marxists when we objected to, pushed back against, or resisted the view that our atheism was immoral, threatening, socially divisive or dangerous, or otherwise illegitimate.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:28 pm

I choose to believe that they're on a hiding to nothing. Plenty of damage done along the way though.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:33 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:05 am
JimC wrote:Sorry, but this sort of gender argy-bargy seems to me like medieval theologians arguing about how many angels will fit on the end of a pin...
Perhaps, if the theological conflict was between inclusivists and exclusionists, in circumstances where the exclusionists were saying that the inclusivists shouldn't exist.
Many more serious issues than some academics expressing views about gender; the actual real oppression of non-hetero people all over the world, frequently violent and nasty...
People like Linehan and Rowling not only provide moral cover for the violent and nasty, but they perpetuate the narrative that the existence of the people on the recieving end of the violent and the nasty justify the abuse they endure by being unnatural and wrong. Objecting to, pushing back against, or resisting the view that your existence is illegitimate identifies one's unnatural wrongness and is usually taken as further justification for abuse - similar to the charges that we were intolerant, strident, radical, fundamentals and Marxists when we objected to, pushed back against, or resisted the view that our atheism was immoral, threatening, socially divisive or dangerous, or otherwise illegitimate.
My worry is that people who are basically on the progressive side of politics seem to spend more time on internal battles over relatively small differences than they do on combatting the actual right...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:40 am

JimC wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
My worry is that people who are basically on the progressive side of politics seem to spend more time on internal battles over relatively small differences than they do on combatting the actual right...
People like Linehan and Rowling are as much a part of the 'actual right' as Shapiro or Peterson. We can tell this by their eagerness to downgrade the fundamental rights of particular people, whom they'd like everyone to agree to permanently exclude from the public domain. I don't think it's reasonable or accurate to say that objecting to, pushing back against, or resisting Terfism is an internal progressive battle over relatively small differences.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:54 am

Perhaps he's referring to Dawkins and co.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:50 am

pErvinalia wrote:Perhaps he's referring to Dawkins and co.
Perhaps, and I know Jim's a decent guy and basically an ally of the Queer community. I just felt his framing of a high-profile Terfist and former comedy writer being effectively banned from a comedy venue as a progressive squabble was, on this occasion, a little wide of the mark. The broader point about progressive squabbling still stands though.

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:19 am

Uganda charges man with 'aggravated homosexuality' punishable by death penalty under new law
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -lgbtq-law

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:27 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:19 am
Uganda charges man with 'aggravated homosexuality' punishable by death penalty under new law
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -lgbtq-law
It is these situations in various parts of the world that are the real threat to the queer community. Internal petty squabbles within or between broadly progressive groups pale into insignificance in comparison...
And my gin!

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:24 am

Brian Peacock wrote:

Yes, far better to push the view that Linehan and Rowling's atheism is immoral, threatening, socially divisive, dangerous and illegitimate...
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:24 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

Yes, far better to push the view that Linehan and Rowling's atheism is immoral, threatening, socially divisive, dangerous and illegitimate...
Meh. Their presumed atheism is irrelevant (Rowling counts a far-right Catholic anti-abortionist among her friends and allies btw - so much for protecting women eh?) because it was a simile - the clue is in the words 'similar to'. Atheism is nothing special. If an atheist was advocating that some members of the community should be excluded from society because of something they inherently, intrinsically, consistently, and persistently are (like being ginger, black, or trans) I'd criticise their bigotry just as freely.

Feel free to address what actually I said - in your own time.

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:09 pm
Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:24 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

Meh. Their presumed atheism is irrelevant (Rowling counts a far-right Catholic anti-abortionist among her friends and allies btw - so much for protecting women eh?) because it was a simile - the clue is in the words 'similar to'. Atheism is nothing special. If an atheist was advocating that some members of the community should be excluded from society because of something they inherently, intrinsically, consistently, and persistently are (like being ginger, black, or trans) I'd criticise their bigotry just as freely.

Feel free to address what actually I said - in your own time.

Well, neither of them has ever advocated for anyone to be "excluded from society", but the atheism I was talking about wasn't the same as the atheism you were talking about.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:27 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:24 pm

Well, neither of them has ever advocated for anyone to be "excluded from society", but the atheism I was talking about wasn't the same as the atheism you were talking about.
If you say that some members of the community don't exist, because of something they inherently, intrinsically, consistently, and persistently are (like being ginger, black, or trans), then you are excluding them from society - they literally don't count as members of society. Using a public platform to repeat or promote this view, or funding, organising, or taking part in events focused around this view is advocating for social exclusion.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Do the Terfers actually claim that trans people don't exist? From what I've read, they acknowledge their existence and their right to be a part of society, just insisting that they are in a different category to biological women. If that remains at an academic level it is surely not a major issue. I suppose what would really matter is real actions or exclusions, things involving public toilets, women's sports, participation in women-only events etc. If Terfers push hard for actual exclusion in real-world activities, I can see that would be hurtful...
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:22 am

RenderedContent-D16BBFA8-4704-498C-B1EB-9AE56A6C7CB3.jpeg

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:48 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:22 am

That's just unkind. Too polite by far, making the team (and the theme of using quasi-or-outright slurs for team names which still exists in some places in the country) look its worst. It would have been more sporting to use something like 'Palefaces'.