Yet more problematic stuff

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm

JimC wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 am
JimC wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm
I presume you mean fundamentalist/jihadist Islam...
Yes, in part. By 'Islamicism' I mean anything that advocates and/or agitates for or on behalf of Islam as a political ideology.
And that set pretty well intersects with the fundamentalists. Moderate muslims living in the west accept that the political system they are living under is pluralist and secular.
I agree with the first sentence. Not so sure you have the data to back up the second sentence.

I suspect you are defining "moderate" there in the sense of someone who necessarily accepts that political systems should be pluralist and secular. If that is part of your definition of moderation, then the question becomes "how many Muslims in the west are, in fact, "moderate," when you include that as part of the definition.

And, while many may accept that the political systems ARE pluralist and secular now - I have a strong suspicion that a huge swath of the Muslim populations would be in favor a less pluralist, less secular society, as there percentage of the population goes up. I have no trust that either Christians or Muslims are to be trusted to support separation of church/mosque and state. Not by a longshot. As long as religion is defanged, as it has been in most of the West, the religious groups talk nice. Let their teeth grow back, and they'll growl again.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 am

I would suggest that Islamicism is also a form of violent right-wing extremism.
I would agree wholeheartedly - theocratic - conservative politically and socially to the point of highly authoritarian -- tinges of racism, sexism, anti-gay - etc -- all aspects of the "far right wing extremism." The reason why it's not characterized as such is the infusion of, into the mainstream thought/zeitgeist, the nonsensical notion that Muslims are an oppressed minority, so they gain the sympathy of "the left" (under Progressive Stack/intersectionalist theory) and the left could not countenance support for that which is "right wing." Ergo, Muslim extremism is not right wing extremism - it's an oppressed group lashing out at the white oppressors.
Your remark is contradicted by my post. You're generalising from the particular again, in circumstances where that particular particular is an anecdote. You imply that Muslims are not, or cannot be, an oppressed or vilified minority within their own communities and/or that pointing out that they can be (and sometimes are) is a kind of disingenuous lefty lie - which is just derp given recent events. I also note that in your eagerness to expound upon the moral and intellectual failings of lefties you completely, not to mention conveniently, ignored the quoted article to which my comment above was, at most, ancillary.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Forty Two wrote:...
I have a strong suspicion that a huge swath of the Muslim populations would be in favor a less pluralist, less secular society, as there percentage of the population goes up...
I have a strong suspicion that you don't know many Muslims and probably don't have any Muslim friends.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Islam appears to be a political movement.

They may also have religious beliefs, but that is mostly nonsensical, bullshit stuff (similar to any religion)

Their political clout makes them look a bit like an oppressed minority. Like the Christians, or the Feminists.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Christianity appears to be a political movement.

They may also have religious beliefs, but that is mostly nonsensical, bullshit stuff (similar to any religion)

Their political clout makes them look a bit like an elite. Like the corporations, or those with inherited unearned income.

:tea:

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:38 pm

well, I don't know about corporation, but they definitely are a political power group trying to control their members/worshipers and to hog the political dominance game.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Yes, if you ignore the fantasy stuff, they can BOTH be addressed as political movements.

If, alternately, you treat one group as if their fantasy deserves a public show of respect, while the other gets to be a laughingstock, that should seem fair to some.

Like the Muslim believers, and those who always leap to defend their beliefs, like a white-knight.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm

I must admit that the muslims are a problem to me, their obsession with making everybody convert and submit to sharia law bothers me, especially when you compare to the early muslim kingdoms in Spain where muslims were only the elite and conversion was actively discouraged, because Jewish and Christian dhimmis paid taxes, while muslims did not.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 pm
I have a strong suspicion that a huge swath of the Muslim populations would be in favor a less pluralist, less secular society, as there percentage of the population goes up...
I have a strong suspicion that you don't know many Muslims and probably don't have any Muslim friends.
You'd be dead wrong about that. But for some reason jumping to such conclusions, rather than asking the person you're making such assumptions about, is par for your course, isn't it?

That said, your and my sets of Muslim friends don't tell us anything about the statistics and polling of Muslims at large. What were you saying about generalizing from the specific to the general?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 pm

lol
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:44 pm
I must admit that the muslims are a problem to me, their obsession with making everybody convert and submit to sharia law bothers me, especially when you compare to the early muslim kingdoms in Spain where muslims were only the elite and conversion was actively discouraged, because Jewish and Christian dhimmis paid taxes, while muslims did not.
There are small indicators in our culture today. Like when pressure is brought to bear to stop things like, oh, say, advertising bacon. https://www.mynbc5.com/article/advertis ... f#comments

She's probably a "moderate Muslim" but she claims a right to have others stop putting up signs about bacon in her town.

There was an issue, apparently, with halal and non-halal meat in British schools -- https://www.patheos.com/blogs/thefreeth ... ool-meals/
Across Kirklees 43 schools receive halal meat via the authority’s catering service. Seventeen schools with predominantly Muslim children do not offer a non-halal meat alternative.
Schools stop serving pork for religious reasons -- https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shoppi ... asons.html Odd, why not beef, for religious reasons?

One gets the distinct whiff that wherever Muslim populations are the majority, the issue becomes one of catering to the majority - it's a Muslim community, by the way, so why shouldn't the State and the schools cater to Muslim sensibilities and religious dogmas? However, even where they are a minority, the notion of the "offense" taken by this oppressed and disadvantaged group means their sensibilities and dogma must be catered to, also... they don't always win, of course - but, that does seem to be what large swaths of that religious community push for.
The worried dad set up a Facebook page called “Muslims against Peppa Pig” and posted a video – which has been shared more than 9,000 times – explaining why.

He said: “As Muslims it is very important that we do not eat meat of the pork. We are not allowed to touch the pork. It is completely wrong that our kids are being shown these things on TV and my youngest son wants to be a pig now. He used to want to be a doctor.”

Mr Sheikh has set up an online petition called “Remove Peppa Pig from TV”. He wants to replace it with a “Muslim” cartoon character named Abdullah the Cat.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... -Peppa-Pig

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm

bugger the muslims, I'll eat pork and drink booze. You'll take my bacon out of my cold, dead stomach.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:23 pm
bugger the muslims, I'll eat pork and drink booze. You'll take my bacon out of my cold, dead stomach.
Maybe you should get a pet pig.

Not one of those fashionable, tiny and cute pot-bellied pigs. Instead get an 800lb porker, teach it to be a service animal for you, and demand you get to take it along on flights, to cafe's and to your regular visits to pray at every church, mosque and synagogue in the country.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:47 pm
You'd be dead wrong about that. But for some reason jumping to such conclusions, rather than asking the person you're making such assumptions about, is par for your course, isn't it?

That said, your and my sets of Muslim friends don't tell us anything about the statistics and polling of Muslims at large. What were you saying about generalizing from the specific to the general?
Hey, you were the one who said Muslims should be looked on with suspicion.

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Any religious nutters should be viewed with suspicion. Doubly so if they want access to children.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: