Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:52 am

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:37 pm

The American right wing censorship project begins to run up against the US Constitution.

'Judge Tears Apart Iowa Book Ban, LGBTQ Education Law'
A federal judge in Iowa has temporarily blocked a state law banning books with sexual content from school libraries, noting that there is no evidence such books caused widespread problems and imposed a “pall of orthodoxy.”

“The law is incredibly broad and has resulted in the removal of hundreds of books from school libraries, including, among others, nonfiction history books, classic works of fiction, Pulitzer Prize winning contemporary novels, books that regularly appear on Advanced Placement exams, and even books designed to help students avoid being victimized by sexual assault,” Judge Stephen Lochner wrote in his decision to approve a preliminary injunction.

“The sweeping restrictions in Senate File 496 are unlikely to satisfy the First Amendment under any standard of scrutiny and thus may not be enforced while the case is pending. Indeed, the Court has been unable to locate a single case upholding the constitutionality of a school library restriction even remotely similar to Senate File 496.”

Gov. Kim Reynolds signed the sweeping law in May. It also includes broad restrictions on teaching LGBTQ topics in schools—some of which Lochner also put on hold for being laughably vague.

“The law forbids programs, promotion, and instruction to students in those grades relating to ‘gender identity’ and ‘sexual orientation,’ but those terms are defined a neutral way that makes no distinction between cisgender or transgender identity or gay or straight relationships,” the judge wrote.

“Meaning: on its face, the law forbids any programs, promotion, or instruction recognizing that anyone is male or female or in a relationship of any sort (gay or straight). The statute is therefore content-neutral but so wildly overbroad that every school district and elementary school teacher in the State has likely been violating it since the day the school year started.”

He said the statute is so vague that it violates the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution “because the State will have unfettered discretion to decide when to enforce it and against whom, thus making it all but impossible for a reasonable person to know what will and will not lead to punishment.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 pm

Yehbut Senate File 496 makes the Libs cry, so it's gotta be a good thing, right?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:46 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 pm
Yehbut Senate File 496 makes the Libs cry, so it's gotta be a good thing, right?
Sure, that's enough for some. But sincere sentiment is behind the effort as well. There's an element of American society that has been pursed-lipped and increasingly dismayed by what they view as the degeneration of society. It was just over a couple of decades ago that it seemed like things were going their way. The 'Defense of Marriage Act' was passed and the gays were out of luck.

Time moved on and now same-sex marriage is established and even the abominable trans people are increasingly allowed to live their lives as they want to. 'Moms for Liberty' and like-minded people believe that they're fighting the good fight. As you say, lib tears delight them in general but also as a significant indication that banning books is a step in the 'right' direction.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:55 pm

It's toxic Christianity. That's been our problem for years. The numbers say that they're losing ground, but where are all the non-religious leaders? Where's the moms for reason group? The nones either aren't very active, or aren't enjoying much success yet.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:05 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:55 pm
It's toxic Christianity. That's been our problem for years. The numbers say that they're losing ground, but where are all the non-religious leaders? Where's the moms for reason group? The nones either aren't very active, or aren't enjoying much success yet.
It's not news. "Sewer system workkng normally." That is not news. Neither is normalcy in politics. "Sewer system overloaded. Democratic governor says crews are doing their best. Drinking water should be boiled for now." Republican opponent says tax money was wasted on bike paths instead of drainage overhaul.
Last edited by Tero on Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:07 pm

duplicate
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:47 pm

Banning books is news, and having zero representation to counter the religious nutters where it matters will definitely be news to some e.g. anyone asking how books get banned.

Maybe I'll start a fathers of reason group -- :lol: too pretentious, hmm, mad dads, err, no, uhm, bookish dads, ugh... this isn't easy

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:29 pm

There are people getting together to oppose the Christofascists in school boards.

'"Blue" suburban moms are mobilizing to counter conservatives in fights over masks, book bans and diversity education'

'How a group of grandparents is mobilizing to push back against Moms for Liberty'

They're having some success. The 'Moms for Liberty' movement suffered setbacks in the most recent school board elections.

'Moms for Liberty Candidates Rejected by Voters in Key School Board Elections'

The news ain't all bad.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:47 pm

:yes:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:09 am

Sean Hayden wrote:Banning books is news, and having zero representation to counter the religious nutters where it matters will definitely be news to some e.g. anyone asking how books get banned.

Maybe I'll start a fathers of reason group -- Image too pretentious, hmm, mad dads, err, no, uhm, bookish dads, ugh... this isn't easy
Boys for books? The Read Gooders? The Dad's Literacy Defence Group? The Father's Fiction Protection Force?

These all sound like band names. Really, librarians should be at the forefront of resisting this self-defeating nonsense. Actually talking about book banning isn't helped by the likes of FOX et al telling their audiences that the privileged, book-smart libruls all think they're cleverer than you and are always talking down to you - and they probably think your kids are ugly too.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:30 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:09 am
Sean Hayden wrote:Banning books is news, and having zero representation to counter the religious nutters where it matters will definitely be news to some e.g. anyone asking how books get banned.

Maybe I'll start a fathers of reason group -- Image too pretentious, hmm, mad dads, err, no, uhm, bookish dads, ugh... this isn't easy
Boys for books? The Read Gooders? The Dad's Literacy Defence Group? The Father's Fiction Protection Force?

These all sound like band names. Really, librarians should be at the forefront of resisting this self-defeating nonsense. Actually talking about book banning isn't helped by the likes of FOX et al telling their audiences that the privileged, book-smart libruls all think they're cleverer than you and are always talking down to you - and they probably think your kids are ugly too.
I'm reminded of a truism that most convenience store clerks learn early on. It isn't worth minimum wage to chase after and tackle a shoplifter.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:39 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-04/ ... /103283648
A US court is expected to start releasing the names of dozens of people with ties to deceased financier Jeffrey Epstein on Wednesday US time, a move that could reveal new details about his sex trafficking.
:pop:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:16 pm

It will be instructive to watch Trump supporters excuse away his connection when it is revealed.

Although, he's already on the flight logs, and his supporters are claiming he went to the island to protect the girls.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.