Yet more problematic stuff

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Yet more problematic stuff

Post by laklak » Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 pm

Probably one of those recently banned assault blasters. Not sure what they were worried about, no stormtrooper ever hit what they were aiming for.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu May 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Good quote in the comments...
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools
(dear Joe)
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
I am again quoting the quote, NOT the original author, context or relevance
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 pm

laklak wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:01 pm
Probably one of those recently banned assault blasters. Not sure what they were worried about, no stormtrooper ever hit what they were aiming for.
depends on the scene, stormtrooper shooting is apt to cause unintended casualties.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 07, 2020 5:09 pm

The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools
and I wonder why that quote is so often misattributed to thucydides

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu May 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Heh, thanks for sending me on a little journey, Svartalf. Apparently Thucydides's original Greek is rather terse and idiosyncratic, making a readable direct translation difficult. Because of this, translators are compelled to indulge in some interpretation. Though the article is regrettably mostly behind a paywall, this from Donald Kagan, one of the premier living scholars of the Peloponnesian War:
... [Thucydides's] style is often very compressed and difficult to understand, so that any translation is necessarily an interpretation.

[source]

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Sounds like the fucker did it on purpose.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 07, 2020 9:28 pm

Not particularly, for a people who liked so much to hear themselves speaking, the greek were resolutely adverse to making a sentence longer than it absolutely had to, in particular, once something had been mentioned once, you were supposed to be intelligent enough to understand when it was referred to, even though it was no repeated, even in pronouns and other referral words.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 pm

That's why Canadian English took over the world. Greek (especially ancient) just doesn't swing.

How the fuck can you obscure meaning with a tight language like that? Screw that, I say quang away at the language until it does what you want.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue May 12, 2020 6:47 am

"What we found startling was that white privilege lessons didn't increase liberals' sympathy for poor Black people," writes Erin Cooley, one of the study's authors and an assistant professor of psychology at Colgate University, in an explanatory post for Vice. "Instead, these lessons decreased liberals' sympathy for poor white people, which led them to blame white people more for their own poverty. They seemed to think that if a person is poor despite all the privileges of being white, there must really be something wrong with them."

In other words, learning about white privilege did not make conservatives more empathetic, and it made some liberals less empathetic, overall.
What accounts for this? One possibility is that social liberals are internalizing white-privilege lessons in a way that flattens the image of whites, portraying all of them as inherently privileged. So if a white person is poor, it must be his or her own fault. After all, they've had all sorts of advantages in life that others haven't.
https://reason.com/2019/05/29/white-pri ... eople/?amp

--darn liberals! :lay:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue May 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Thank goodness uppity blacks can't kneel at football games anymore.

The family of an aspiring nurse working as an EMT who was fatally shot by police in her Louisville, Ky., home, has filed a lawsuit against the city's police department.

Breonna Taylor, 26, who had been on the frontlines battling the coronavirus, was killed shortly after midnight on March 13 by Louisville Metro Police Department officers executing a drug warrant, reports the Courier-Journal, the Washington Post, and WDRB.

The lawsuit, which was filed on April 27, alleges police were actually looking for a man who lived in Taylor's building but not her apartment, who had been apprehended before officers allegedly entered Taylor's apartment unannounced.
https://people.com/crime/kentucky-emt-k ... s-answers/

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue May 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Well, being black in the presence of police officers is clearly a serious offence in the USA...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 am

It's a poor example given that someone inside the apartment opened fire on the police. Do you not agree that regardless of a person's race, if they shoot at the police the police are likely to shoot back?

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed May 13, 2020 12:35 am

:funny:

Imagine if they were white what the narrative would be.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed May 13, 2020 12:37 am

If they were white:

They were standing their ground.
It was self-defense.
We have a right to defend ourselves in our own homes.
Tyrannical cops busted in with no warning.
etc...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 13, 2020 12:40 am

Blacks suffer disproportionately under our legal system and have been hurt more than anyone else by the war on drugs.

However, I hate how Seabass posted that right after an interesting bit on the dangers of uncritically preaching white privilege. It would be normal to assume that whites are to blame, or at least that we can make progress by making whites aware of the problems they cause.
New Study Says White Police Officers Are Not More Likely To Shoot Minority Suspects
When you look at the number of police shootings in relation to the population, you find that people of color are shot and killed more often than white people. The reason for that disparity has been intensely debated for years, especially since an unarmed black teenager was shot and killed in Ferguson, Mo. almost five years ago.

There has been one recurring theory, that white cops are more likely to shoot black people because of racial bias. Now a new study is challenging that conclusion. NPR's Martin Kaste has more.

MARTIN KASTE, BYLINE: Since the Ferguson protests of 2014, we've learned a lot more about fatal shootings by the police. News organizations started collecting their own data on shootings to make up for incomplete federal stats, and academics started building on that. Michigan State University psychologist Joseph Cesario is part of a group that looked at fatal shootings in 2015. They added in the race of the police, and then did a statistical analysis.

JOSEPH CESARIO: The race of a police officer did not predict the race of the citizen shot. In other words, black officers were just as likely to shoot black citizens as white officers were.
An interesting bit occurs shortly after when a critic of the study claims this isn't news to anyone:
GOFF: It doesn't do very much to move us towards an understanding of how much are police responsible for racial disparities. And the things it does sort of lead us to are things that we already knew.

KASTE: For instance, he says if the study is aiming to debunk the assumption that white cops shoot people for racist reasons while black cops don't, he says that's a strawman because no one in his field actually thinks that.
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/26/74573183 ... rity-suspe

But clearly many of us do:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/08 ... draws-fire

You can bet I thought that way, as will most people reading Seabass.
Last edited by Sean Hayden on Wed May 13, 2020 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.