Re: As for Harris: this free will stuff

Post by Rum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm
Rum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 pm
DRSB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am
But what do you want? Even in mathematics you cannot do anything without making some initial assumption first. One guy set out to establish the principles of the pure mathematics and failed. As for the mind, nobody denies it exists but nobody can define it. It is the product of the brain yet it can induce material changes in the brain. Hence the boom in meditation, mindfulness, guided imagery, etc. especially over the last 10 year, there have been many studies in hypnosis too which shares a great deal.
I think there are degrees of ‘assumption’. Newton’s maths work extremely well based on his assumptions about a static machine like universe for example. Freud and the early psychoanalysts, psychologists and psychiatrists based their theories on very much shakier ground.

We've come a long way since Freud, it's been some 100 years.
How something works is not the same as what it is. Are you saying Newtonian maths is free of any initial assumptions? Then he exceeded Bertrand Russel!
I’m not sure how you inferred that. My point, which I was in too much of a rush to make properly, was that ideas based on mental health issues as presented in the 19th century, particularly by Freud, Jung and others were not only non empirical, they were based on the observations, and rapidly drawn conclusions, of a few (generally speaking sexually repressed - at a time when sex was deeply repressed anyway) individual patients. On the basis of such case studies the most influential thinkers, like Freud, developed a model of the human persona as a seething mass of repression, sexual frustration, suppressed savagery and the resultant ‘perverted’ playing out of these forces.

Very little in the way of empirical or real science was offered as proof and yet, while I agree things have moved on to a degree, those models still form the basis of much ‘therapeutic’ interventions for some disorders.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Freud was a total fraud, made up his reports to fit his claims. Also very unethical he was!
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/freud- ... doscience/

There's not to apply "real science" on things that you cannot put under a microscope. You cannot apply such real science on the free will we are discussing here either. We don't even have a proper definition for it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 pm

And yet many of his ideas and his models of what makes up our human ‘selves’ persist, even as they apply to this topic. He was the first to popularise the notion that human beings are at the mercy of unconscious forces deep within us over which we (apparently) have little control.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:33 pm

It's obvious we are dominated by unconscious forces. Furthermore, what tiny part of us is conscious is a damned fool liar.

--muddlers, all of us, except for maybe jamest.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 pm

You do not have to accept any non-materialist explanation for the ability of carefully designed psychological manipulation of human beings en masse. The nazis were particularly good at it, but plenty of other cults exhibited similar trends. Most likely because of hominid tribal factors, group thinking can be induced in our species quite easily...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Rum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 pm
And yet many of his ideas and his models of what makes up our human ‘selves’ persist, even as they apply to this topic. He was the first to popularise the notion that human beings are at the mercy of unconscious forces deep within us over which we (apparently) have little control.
Not sure about the being first. Actually, William James did more in this respect. As for Freud, he plagiarized his mentors and this is a well-known fact. Also, the book mentioned in the link (I've read it) goes into very specific and documented details about this.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm
Rum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 pm
Not sure about the being first. Actually, William James did more in this respect. As for Freud, he plagiarized his mentors and this is a well-known fact. Also, the book mentioned in the link (I've read it) goes into very specific and documented details about this.
I did my social work degree thesis on the falling out of Freud and Jung (and in retrospect what an utter waste of time it was!) so I know the stuff. James had similar ideas, but Freud, as I say, put them ‘out there’ in the public domain.

As Sean says above, much of what goes on in our amazing brains is of course unconscious, I.e. it happens without our conscious awareness of it happening - and I spell that out because it isn’t a specific thing in the way some would have it. What bothers me is when people, with no real evidence start deciding how it all works. Smacks to me of the same sort of process that religions go through establishing the ‘orthodoxy’.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Yes, the "unconscious" of modern cognitive science is a very different beast to the "unconscious" of Freud, although there will inevitably be some overlap...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am
Rum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 am
To say that Hitler somehow hypnotised large crowds of people diminishes his influence and the responsibility those people hold for their own actions in my view.

That he was a powerful public speaker is not in doubt. That he appealed to some of the lowest aspects of human nature and fears is also in no doubt. And that he was in the right place at the right time to grasp power in the way he did is also clear. But to suggest hypnotism was partly responsible is fanciful and speculative in my view.
Not partly responsible, but a useful tool he knew hot to use, not the only one, and a narrow definition of hypnotism is not useful either, powerful speakers induce mini-trances,
What's a "mini trance"?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 pm

JimC wrote:Yes, the "unconscious" of modern cognitive science is a very different beast to the "unconscious" of Freud, although there will inevitably be some overlap...
Most of the activity of the brain has nothing to do with conscious awareness. I mean, is anyone really aware of their brain regulating their glucose levels, body temperature, or endocrine system? :)

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm

I am. The fucker won't shut up about it! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm
I am. The fucker won't shut up about it! :lay:
:lol:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:16 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm
What's a "mini trance"?
You are getting sleepy.....sleeeeeeepy....
Attachments
verne.jpg
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 pm
JimC wrote:Yes, the "unconscious" of modern cognitive science is a very different beast to the "unconscious" of Freud, although there will inevitably be some overlap...
Most of the activity of the brain has nothing to do with conscious awareness. I mean, is anyone really aware of their brain regulating their glucose levels, body temperature, or endocrine system? :)
Precisely.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm
DRSB wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:39 am
Rum wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 am
To say that Hitler somehow hypnotised large crowds of people diminishes his influence and the responsibility those people hold for their own actions in my view.

That he was a powerful public speaker is not in doubt. That he appealed to some of the lowest aspects of human nature and fears is also in no doubt. And that he was in the right place at the right time to grasp power in the way he did is also clear. But to suggest hypnotism was partly responsible is fanciful and speculative in my view.
Not partly responsible, but a useful tool he knew hot to use, not the only one, and a narrow definition of hypnotism is not useful either, powerful speakers induce mini-trances,
What's a "mini trance"?
An awake trance, a short one with no big outward signs, yet catalepsy may be there (transfixed) and the parasympathetic nervous system kicks in.