Even more problematic stuff

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 am

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:08 am
JimC wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:02 am
So, again, enlighten us to your academic qualifications, and how they enable you to make sweeping criticisms of academic publications?
You called it - I can't spell.

Doesn't change what happened in that interview and surrounding publishings though.

Why the hell would it have anything to do with me?

Is my ridicule of greivance studies at issue? Or their hilarious highlighting of it?
Ridicule based on knowledge is one thing.

Ridicule based on abysmal ignorance is another...

I notice you haven't responded to my reasonable request to state your academic qualifications which allow you fair comment on the expertise of others...

Me, a Bachelor of Science (Honours)...

You?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:15 am

Maybe Cunt, but without the prerequisite knowledge you may be unqualified to know to what extent they've been embarrassed if at all.

Consider some of the trouble we can get into not knowing much if anything about it. For example, what does it mean to rewrite a section of Mein Kampf as a feminist manifesto? I doubt it means much of anything. They even admit it differs from the original significantly. No shit eh, like so much so that it makes little sense to suppose reading one is anything at all like reading the other, which is of course the whole point of saying you "used mein kampf" in the first place, surely?

They also admit to failing horribly on their first attempts and only succeeding after really immersing themselves in the literature.

Can you see a potential problem here?

Maybe there isn't one. Maybe they really embarrassed them good. But how would you know?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am

Aye Cunt. What is the role of academic publishing? Really, it's not a gotcha question - it's fundamental to the matter at hand. Now if your idea is that it's supposed to be a repository of factual truth, officially approved by an authoritative body and endorsed as a source fit for public consumption then you're getting off on the wrong foot. So, what is the role of academic publishing?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:54 pm

So some jokers sent 20 Sokal type bits of nonsense to pay for pubication (sic) fringe journals catering to greivance (sic) studies and seven of them were accepted. Egg on face, and said pubications (sic) fully deserve any ensuing embarrassment. So what?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am
Aye Cunt. What is the role of academic publishing? Really, it's not a gotcha question - it's fundamental to the matter at hand. Now if your idea is that it's supposed to be a repository of factual truth, officially approved by an authoritative body and endorsed as a source fit for public consumption then you're getting off on the wrong foot. So, what is the role of academic publishing?
Seems to be (in the humanities) a way to make students buy stuff. Not only one's shitty original texts, but annual revisions which make it tougher to use pre-owned books.

Is there another reason?
JimC wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 am
Is my ridicule of greivance studies at issue? Or their hilarious highlighting of it?
Ridicule based on knowledge is one thing.

Ridicule based on abysmal ignorance is another...

I notice you haven't responded to my reasonable request to state your academic qualifications which allow you fair comment on the expertise of others...

Me, a Bachelor of Science (Honours)...

You?
I can't even spell. I told you that you called it.

I was laughing at highly qualified academics mocking the whole pile of grievance study fields.

They were funny. I'm fully qualified to find it funny.

Why would it matter to you? Have you been duped into paying for a grievance studies degree? Gosh I hope not...they do pay, but not nearly as well as a tradesmans training.

If you had seen the video, or reviewed the academic qualifications of the people involved, I would think you were interested in the facts around the matter.

That you are more interested in me, who is just laughing about deliberate stupidity being shown, says a lot about your depth of understanding of this issue.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Seems to be (in the humanities) a way to make students buy stuff. Not only one's shitty original texts, but annual revisions which make it tougher to use pre-owned books.

Is there another reason?
Is that it? is that all you're up to today?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:21 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am

With this 'problematic stuff', did you read the published papers? The award for excellence? The academic credentials of the writer, and of the reviewing bodies?

Or was I more important to you than all that?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 am

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:

Is there another reason?
Brian, I'm sure, meant the publication of research articles in academic journals, not the publishing of university level text books.

In regard to those, you may have a point about the revisions and excessive costs etc., but that is irrelevant to the release of academic research papers for peer review.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:35 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 am
In regard to those, you may have a point about the revisions and excessive costs etc., but that is irrelevant to the release of academic research papers for peer review.
I'll ask you the same thing.

Did you read the published papers? The award for excellence? The academic credentials of the writer, and of the reviewing bodies?

-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm

World's 26 richest people own as much as poorest 50%, says Oxfam
Charity calls for 1% wealth tax, saying it would raise enough to educate every child not in school

Among the findings of the report were:

In the 10 years since the financial crisis, the number of billionaires has nearly doubled.

Between 2017 and 2018 a new billionaire was created every two days.

The world’s richest man, Jeff Bezos, the owner of Amazon, saw his fortune increase to $112bn. Just 1% of his fortune is equivalent to the whole health budget for Ethiopia, a country of 105 million people.

The poorest 10% of Britons are paying a higher effective tax rate than the richest 10% (49% compared with 34%) once taxes on consumption such as VAT are taken into account.
Bloody Bezos could pay for all the health care in the USA and still have a good life style.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

With this 'problematic stuff', did you read the published papers? The award for excellence? The academic credentials of the writer, and of the reviewing bodies?

No, I mean is that all you're up to with regards to answering a straightforward question, telling me what you think the role of academic publication actually is? As I said, this is pretty fundamental to whatever it is you see as important or significant about the matter.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

I'll go for a wealth tax, as long as it follows NIMBA (Not In My Bank Account).
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

That's what the Koch Bros say as well.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:46 pm
Cunt wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:

No, I mean is that all you're up to with regards to answering a straightforward question, telling me what you think the role of academic publication actually is? As I said, this is pretty fundamental to whatever it is you see as important or significant about the matter.
Well, I've answered that I thought it was to earn money from students, but I guess my answer wasn't 'buzzfeed' enough for you or something...

Do you want me to bow and scrape now or something?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: