Even more problematic stuff

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Even more problematic stuff

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:52 am

Vegemite Haggis...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:41 am

There is a vegetarian haggis. At a Burns supper it is PC these days to offer it. The modern version of normal haggis is bad enough but the vegi version is god smacking horrible.

At the last supper I went to an illegal old styled haggis (10kg.) was smuggled out of Scotland. The Caledonian Society were not going to have modern crap.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 am

Why do you hate vegetables?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am

because cheese and bacon.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 am
Why do you hate vegetables?

I eat about 300 grams of vegetable with my meat of usually 150 - 200 grams.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:24 pm
Brian, you don't plug in a refrigerator, and you don't have heat in your house? I guess if you live in a city, it's nice not to have a car, but no heat in the house?

Well, I've got two kids, so we have the refrigerator in the kitchen, and a back-up plugged in out in the garage.
The fridge thing seemed a sensible thing to do - my shopping and cooking preferences meant there was never anything in it. The heating thing came about through a combination of economic necessity and a conscious decision to reduce my carbon burden - the two things being inextricable.
Beverages? Ice?

How much does heating cost that it would be an economic issue? Here I have a 1000 sq meter house and my entire electric bill averages about $175 per month, including heat, air conditioning, refrigeration, lighting, television, etc. We have a separte bill for natural gas (which is cooking and hot water), adds another $30 to $45 per month. Translating that to British pounds would be about $155 to $160 pounds per month. We have four people in the house (and we use the air conditioning 24-7 and we shower more than once daily). Is electricity very expensive there?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Hey, I didn't say it was perfect :D nor am I that familiar with the city yet. I'm mostly noting the contrast between where I was in the soft South and here.
Not perfect? Ah, that's to be expected. Anything outside the borders of Holland (not even the Netherlands in general, just Holland) gets further away from the perfection that is Dutch life. I mean, any country that doesn't drench its fried potatoes in mayonnaise is already quite a distance from perfection.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Hey 42 are you FPL or Duke? You sure it's 1000 sq meters? That's 10,000 sq ft. Costs us about $300 a month for electric with 180 sq meters. The stove top is gas, but we also have the pool heater/chiller, filter and pump.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 pm

A vegetarian------haggis!!!!
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:27 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 pm
Hey 42 are you FPL or Duke? You sure it's 1000 sq meters? That's 10,000 sq ft. Costs us about $300 a month for electric with 180 sq meters. The stove top is gas, but we also have the pool heater/chiller, filter and pump.
LOL - About 275 square meters-ish. Sorry. Brain-fart.

We don't have the pool - the pool will increase your bill.

We have electric AC/heat, lights, obviously, but gas water heater and gas cooking. Averages about 225 total. We have WREC here. It's a coop. Clearwater for gas, oddly enough.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Any proper Haggis is the Dutch Haggis - with chocolate "hundreds and thousands" and a dollop of mayonnaise, of course. But not just any mayonnaise - proper Dutch mayonnaise.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 pm
A vegetarian------haggis!!!!
Kotz :|~

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 am

I am afraid the abomination does exist:

Celebrate Burns Night properly with this delicious veggie haggis filled with lentils, mushrooms and seasoning. Serve with golden neeps and tatties
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-haggis

Disgusting.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:41 am

might even be less horrible than the real McCoy... but the principle of it... oh, the horror.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:44 am

I have tasted the beast and it is bloody horrible. The trouble with these days of PC the real McCoy is only available from clandestine butchers.