'A people deprived of their history are easily persuaded'.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: 'A people deprived of their history are easily persuaded'.

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:48 pm
laklak wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 pm
He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
No no no. It's "He who controls the spice controls the Universe"!
Ahem.. http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 8#p1770174
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 23, 2018 1:43 am

:lol:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 pm
Brexiteers now think that we're taking back control when in reality we're just handing it over to the Rees-Mogg's and Duncan-Smith's of the world.
Not to mention the Pemberton-Smythes.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am

Rum wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 pm
The OP title is a quote from Marx.
Do you have a source for that? I doubt you'll find an authentic one. "Famous dead people are often used to add authority to someone's opinion, especially on the internet" - Robin Hood

Marx did say
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
As for the quote as such, it's neither profound nor particularly accurate. To begin with, people are easily persuaded, full stop. As to depriving them of their history, there's a presumption that there is such a thing as history devoid of slanting, colouration and what have you. People have been banging each other over the heads concerning who got the better interpretation of what happened in the past ever since Herodotus started scribbling about it.

Crumple has already hinted at that. Brian Peacock has gone further by describing how giving a people their history exploits their malleability just as easily. It's just a matter of swapping one story out for another. Full Marx to Laklak for trundling out the Eric Blair quote. It's rather more apposite to how people are persuaded than the alleged Marx one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 am

Persuasive argument, Hermit.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am
Rum wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 pm
The OP title is a quote from Marx.
Do you have a source for that? I doubt you'll find an authentic one. "Famous dead people are often used to add authority to someone's opinion, especially on the internet" - Robin Hood

Marx did say
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
As for the quote as such, it's neither profound nor particularly accurate. To begin with, people are easily persuaded, full stop. As to depriving them of their history, there's a presumption that there is such a thing as history devoid of slanting, colouration and what have you. People have been banging each other over the heads concerning who got the better interpretation of what happened in the past ever since Herodotus started scribbling about it.

Crumple has already hinted at that. Brian Peacock has gone further by describing how giving a people their history exploits their malleability just as easily. It's just a matter of swapping one story out for another. Full Marx to Laklak for trundling out the Eric Blair quote. It's rather more apposite to how people are persuaded than the alleged Marx one.
The point of the OP was (and usually is in my case) to promote discussion not to postulate a position. In that, at least it has born some fruit.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 am

Have you been deprived of your history of Hermit..? :hehe:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 am
Have you been deprived of your history of Hermit..? :hehe:
There must be some explanation for it.. :smug:

I can't actually find a source so maybe it is made up. I think I am right in thinking he once said 'once a cunt always a cunt' though.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 am

Rum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am
The point of the OP was (and usually is in my case) to promote discussion not to postulate a position. In that, at least it has born some fruit.
Yes, it has, and I appreciate it too. Unfortunately I can't stop myself from getting pissed off when people come up with faked quotes and suchlike rubbish. You should see me come down like a ton of bricks on people I interact with on Facebook, and that is among family and close friends.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

You don't know what being pissed off online is. You just watch and learn, grasshopper... :coffee:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

My point is that it doesn't matter if the stories we tell ourselves about who and what we think we are are true or complete. What's important is that we can hold them to be true long enough to apply them in post hoc justification for what we want and what we want to be.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am
You don't know what being pissed off online is. You just watch and learn, grasshopper... :coffee:
There's a difference between getting pissed off and making a pig of yourself about whatever it is you are pissed off about.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 am
Rum wrote:
Yes, it has, and I appreciate it too. Unfortunately I can't stop myself from getting pissed off when people come up with faked quotes and suchlike rubbish. You should see me come down like a ton of bricks on people I interact with on Facebook, and that is among family and close friends.
It seems to be quoted all over the place however. though I can't so far find the original:

http://dharmacivilization.com/2013/01/a ... f-marxism/

https://quotefancy.com/quote/847168/Kar ... -be-easily

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/571986

Plus my original. I suspect he said it somewhere.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:29 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 am
Rum wrote:
It seems to be quoted all over the place however. though I can't so far find the original:

http://dharmacivilization.com/2013/01/a ... f-marxism/

https://quotefancy.com/quote/847168/Kar ... -be-easily

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/571986

Plus my original. I suspect he said it somewhere.
People also suspect that "A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling" was penned by Mark Twain. Thousands of sites attribute the satirical article to him. The earliest instance uncovered so far is a letter published by The Economist. It was penned by one M.J. Shields.

Admittedly, I have not been able to get to the exact issue of The Economist in which this letter was published, but then again, nobody has been able to point to an authentic source for Twain's authorship either.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Doesn't matter who wrote it. Oceania is at war with Eastasia. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.