The Terminators Are Almost Here

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

The Terminators Are Almost Here

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Given the dexterity of some of the robots I've seen lately, this is not far off...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/meet-the-n ... 1523455200

Think of it - remote controllable robot armies of thousands of armed robots with pinpoint accuracy and relative imperviousness to small arms.

Want to take a small city in 2028, parachute in 10,000 robots of all shapes and sizes, with a fleet of armed robot fling drones, and pinpoint missile strikes, and the insurgents will be gone. With surveillance technology and small drone technology an an attack can have 360 degree visual information on a target, and with computers controlling the guns, there will be relatively few misses.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Terminators Are Almost Here

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 am

Guns don't kill people, robots kill people...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 am

Killer robots are of serious concern. But one area where they could potentially save lives is going into buildings to take out insurgents (particularly those using human shields) in a situation that would otherwise involve destroying the building and possibly those around it with mortar or missile strikes, killing a lot of innocent civilians.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 am

pErvinalia wrote:Killer robots are of serious concern. But one area where they could potentially save lives is going into buildings to take out insurgents (particularly those using human shields) in a situation that would otherwise involve destroying the building and possibly those around it with mortar or missile strikes, killing a lot of innocent civilians.
That sort of think can be done with remote control robots - which aren't really much more of a problem than conventional military methods. The scary thing is the autonomous killer robots. We need international agreements to ban development of AI weaponry yesterday.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 am

I don't think a remote controlled robot (i.e. the operator) is going to be able to discern who is a target and who is a civilian remotely. Although, it's possible to do it in Call Of Duty, so I suppose it might not be that much different. Get pimply teenagers to operate them..
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:We need international agreements to ban development of AI weaponry yesterday.
There are two chances that there'll be no development of AI weaponry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Forty Two wrote:Given the dexterity of some of the robots I've seen lately, this is not far off...
https://www.wsj.com/articles/meet-the-n ... 1523455200

Think of it - remote controllable robot armies of thousands of armed robots with pinpoint accuracy and relative imperviousness to small arms.

Want to take a small city in 2028, parachute in 10,000 robots of all shapes and sizes, with a fleet of armed robot fling drones, and pinpoint missile strikes, and the insurgents will be gone. With surveillance technology and small drone technology an an attack can have 360 degree visual information on a target, and with computers controlling the guns, there will be relatively few misses.
Indeed. Once there are intelligent, versatile robots, humans will be unnecessary, and will be disposed of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ahebm3VAxQ

Look at the reaction of the cheering audience...And you think such people are imaginary? :funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlO2gcs1YvM

Both the above videos are a few years out of date. The real stuff is more advanced.

Once the AI, versatile robots are here, there is no need for mere humans, they will be got rid of 'rationally', and no one, except the likes of Galaxian and Forty Two will raelize what is really going on. Here are the plausible deniability, smoke & mirrors, wool over the sheeple's eyes methods that will be used:
1) A pandemic breaks out... millions die...Of course it is 'natural'.
2) Vaccines are produced. Everyone's 'encouraged' to take it if they want resistance. Millions more die...unfortunately due to vaccine unforeseen effects.
3) A terrorist poisons food at supermarkets... say tinned baked beans. Millions die. They catch him (yeah?) But a week later his accomplice poisons sliced bread... millions more die.
4) There are power outages lasting days, at the height of summer or winter. Millions die.
5) Fuel shortage, no deliveries to major isolated cities, such as Phoenix, Arizona, Las Vegas, etc. Mayhem...Millions die.
6 Actual war, against some country, any country will do. Millions die.

Need I go on? Surely you can add another dozen or two scenarios to the above. But no! We'll all live as tourists, looked after & pampered by the AI robots and our masters... Yeah, pull the other one; it's got bells on it. :zombie:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 pm

It'll be easy to gradually modify humans over time. Gene modification is coming, so people will just choose to design their kids. One generation of no birth defects and genetic disorders, and there will be nobody suggesting it's a bad thing. That part of it won't be a bad thing.

The second aspect will be to enhance thinking and strength through subtle implantation of chips and other devices to help us. First it will be things to keep the heart and other organs running. Then things to enhance eyesight and hearing. Then things to enhance communication and thinking. Once that stuff is incorporated into humans, it will all be seen as normal. And, there will be no way to stop the "control" aspect of these things.

If you told somebody in the 1970s that in 2018 everyone would be carrying around tracking devices, voluntarily, essentially telling the world where they are at almost all times, and that televisions will have the capability for other people to look into your homes, and that you will carry a device that let's you look in and communicate with other people's devices even inside their homes, and that stores will begin to have the capacity to know you walked into the store, let you pick out the goods and put them in your pocket and walk out and automatically pay without a cash register, and that the store will know what items you look at and consider, but don't buy, so that it can advertised to you later, etc. That cars will be parking themselves, and soon driving themselves... they'd think it was a Philip K Dick dystopia. But it's normal for us and we'd likely not choose to go back.

The same will be true in the future.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm not sure if Galaxian has hacked crumple's account, or vice versa...
And my gin!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Flat-pack heaven? Robots master task of assembling Ikea chair

Those who fear the rise of the machines, look away now. In a laboratory in Singapore two robots have mastered a task that roundly defeats humans every weekend: they have successfully assembled an Ikea chair.

Engineers at Nanyang Technological University used a 3D camera and two industrial robot arms fitted with grippers and force sensors to take on the challenge of building an £18 “Stefan” chair from the furniture company.

Working together, the robots completed the job in 20 minutes and 19 seconds after having the parts placed in front of them. More than half of the time was spent planning moves, with the execution taking nine minutes in total. Typically, the job takes a person 10 to 15 minutes, an Ikea spokesperson said.
Now all we need to do is work out how to assemble Ikea flat-pack industrial robot arms.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:38 pm

I for one welcome our new Ikea-mastering overlords...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 pm

I must admit, I find the possibilities very exciting.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 pm

What could possibly go wrong? :dunno:
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Galaxian wrote:{snipped insane ranting}
Need I go on?
Please don't.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Forty Two wrote:It'll be easy to gradually modify humans over time. Gene modification is coming, so people will just choose to design their kids. One generation of no birth defects and genetic disorders, and there will be nobody suggesting it's a bad thing...
I would, to start with by challenging the baby makers to define perfect, and then by reminding them those with congenital conditions have always contributed to the community's and the gene pool.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT