The Terminators Are Almost Here

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Terminators Are Almost Here

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:It'll be easy to gradually modify humans over time. Gene modification is coming, so people will just choose to design their kids. One generation of no birth defects and genetic disorders, and there will be nobody suggesting it's a bad thing...
I would, to start with by challenging the baby makers to define perfect, and then by reminding them those with congenital conditions have always contributed to the community's and the gene pool.
At least for really clearly defined genetic abnormalities, I would disagree. Many of them make life pretty horrible - if genetic engineering can remove those, with no side effects, it would be a positive move, IMO.

Beyond such clear-cut examples, though, changes which aim to, for example, reduce aggression or improve intelligence, or make other vague changes are likely to be problematic, and reduce the useful diversity of the human condition...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22 pm

Sure, nobody want's to willing bring a child into the world who's going to suffer or have a hard time doing normal stuff. Who would say, "I really want a crippled child, or a deaf-blind baby"? But you certainly touch on one of my concerns Jim: what actually is a 'clear cut' example, and how does the idea of perfection impact on how those who don't meet the mark are viewed - either by society at larger or even by their parents and family members? Many people with non-life-limiting congenital disorders lead perfectly normal lives - that is, they're exactly like normal people, just that their legs are wonky or their eyes are duff etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Sure, nobody want's to willing bring a child into the world who's going to suffer or have a hard time doing normal stuff. Who would say, "I really want a crippled child, or a deaf-blind baby"? But you certainly touch on one of my concerns Jim: what's actually is a 'clear cut' example, and how does the idea of perfection impact on how those who don't meet the mark are viewed - either by society at larger or even their parents and family members? Many people with non-life-limiting congenital disorders lead perfectly normal lives - that is, they're exactly like normal people, just that their legs are wonky or their eyes are duff etc.
A disability that does not seriously impact on quality of life, or that is not a death sentence (like motor neurone disease) may not need to be targeted. I think it should be a case by case process, with definite community consultation, but there are definitely a handful of serious conditions, often caused by a single deleterious mutation that potentially could be removed, preferably by gene editing very, very early.
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:37 pm

I'd like the focus to be on splicing cures into the living first, before rushing into designing perfect babies. "We ordered blonde hair, blue eyes and above average intelligence, but this one's got brown hair and is a dumb as custard!"

If we're going to be splicing perfection into people can I have the gene that'll make me purr like a cat please?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Yeah, certainly the "designer baby" thing is very ethically and biologically dangerous, but I still aver that there is a place for carefully considered gene therapy...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am

Don't forget that we already have the option to abort babies which have certain disorders etc. At the scale of a society this is no different really to "fixing" those disorders via gene therapy and allowing the birth to continue. In both cases we'll see less Downy's, for example.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 am

Not everyone can have a perfect baby, somebody has to clean the sewers and the autonomous AIs sure as hell ain't gonna do it. They'll send in the meatsuits. We'll have various classes of humans, Alphas, Betas, Gammas, etc. Alcohol surrogate in the artificial placenta should do the trick. There will always be a need for Epsilon Minus Sub-Morons.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 am

It's going to be a brave new world that's for sure. :D

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:47 am

pErvinalia wrote:Don't forget that we already have the option to abort babies which have certain disorders etc. At the scale of a society this is no different really to "fixing" those disorders via gene therapy and allowing the birth to continue. In both cases we'll see less Downy's, for example.
Yes, this is something worth remembering, but the same concerns apply. Everyone wants a perfect child, but the matter rests on one's definition of perfection. In some cultures the sex of a child falls within that definition.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

Yeah. That's the biggest concern at the present, IMO.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Our old next neighbours were a Dutch woman and an Indonesian man. She was very Dutch: blond and blue eyed and he was very Indonesian. They had trouble in the creation process and went to a clinic in Belgium to get it sorted out (no reason given). Finally the first boy was born (they wanted boys). He looked just like mum; very Dutch. The second boy came along in two years time. He was totally Indonesian. They have moved to a bigger apartment not far away. The two boys are totally the opposite of each other. Hard to think they have the same parents.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:It's going to be a brave new world that's for sure. :D
Yes by Ford!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Orgy Porgy, will women be ordered to perform neo Malthusian practice?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping