Burglars are people too?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Burglars are people too?

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Rum wrote:pErv is right. But it is wrong to assume that a more 'robust' approach to defending yourself from nasty people is somehow carried over into the justice system. The adversarial system has its weaknesses, but it also has one major strength which magistrate Inquisition does not and that is the presumption of innocence. The British system (which much of the world has copied) would rather see ten guilty people go free than one innocent person get locked up.
Indeed, and the American system is based on the fantasic English common law developed over the 1000 years prior to there being an America. The world owes much of the concepts that are emblematic of an advanced justice system, protective of the rights of citizens and the accused, to the English common law.

In the more general argument about adversarial vs. inquisitorial systems, the weaknesses of the inquisitorial systems are often glossed over if not completely ignored. It ends up boiling down to people simply opining that being "adversarial" is not as good or nice as "inquiring" after things. But, that's not the keys to either system. When we had this discussion in another thread, banging back and forth about the two general types of systems, one thing that was revealed was that folks like Dutchy seem to oppose the accused having the right to defend themselves, and to cross examine the witnesses with their own counsel being free to manage the defense as they see fit, and they think a more fair result comes about when the State is in charge, and the judge does the lion's share of the inquiring. I've not found many people that think that they, if they were an accused in a criminal prosecution, would rather put their life and liberty in the hands of the State and the Judge than have a confidential advocate who can test the evidence and challenge the witnesses for them, and represent the interest of the accused.

Saying that this is about "the truth" is a simplistic way to look at it, because in both systems, the "truth" can normally not be known with certainty. What we are dealing with is evidence and burdens of proof. So the best we can do is try to eliminate "reasonable doubts." Also, the "truth" about what happened - who did what to whom and when and how and why - are not the only questions -- part of the job of the defense is to determine the level of culpability, the degree of crime, etc. So, the same "truth" can be found to be a crime, not a crime, or one of several degrees of crime, depending on the circumstances. Does anyone really trust a bureaucrat paid by the State to be there trying to advocate the best possible result for the defendant? Does the Judge? Are we to believe that Dutch judges are as apt to skip meals and stay up late to chase a lingering doubt or thorny question of fact or law as an accused's own counsel Not bloody likely.

This is not to say that the systems of criminal justice do not work, and of course, over the past few decades, some "anglo-saxon" protections for the criminal defendant - like, for example, the presumption of innocence and right not to actually be a witness against yourself, have crept into the civil law countries on the continent - and as such, the inquisitorial system is in some countries much improved from what it was decades ago. I'm not claiming any sort of "superiority" of the British or American systems over European systems - such questions are complex and also partly subjective. What I object to is the blithering balderdash that Dutchy invariably spews, claiming superiority while misrepresenting the system he seeks to criticize.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:I agree that the European justice model is better than the adversarial system we have. But I don't think there is any confusion about who is in the wrong when someone invades your home.
I am not disputing that he broke in but does it give the owner the right to treat him as lower sub species. Something you can just kill? The burglar is wrong no argument but treat him as another human being.
There's nowhere in the Anglo world outside the US where you can shoot/stab someone for breaking into your house. Not sure what you think the law is in the "Anglo-Saxon mindset".
Just look at the reactions to this guy. He is a hero! That says enough. He is one of us.
Generally speaking, if someone breaks into your home at night, and you fight the person off, it seems pretty heroic, particularly where, as here, the home invader was discovered with the jewelry and other valuables of the victim on his person, and the home invader was armed and brandishing a screwdriver as a weapon while doing it, which is itself a threat to the bodily integrity of the homeowner.

Now, you would not get the same reaction if the "home invader" happened to be an injured person running from some gang chasing him, and he happened to enter the homeowner's house to save himself and all the while was shouting "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I had to come in here to get away from people chasing me! I'm going to sit here on the floor! Call the police and have them come! I'm sorry! I just need help!"

And, there would be a difference in reaction both in the UK and in the awful, horrible US. Why? Because the facts are different.

Where you have a situation where there is no dispute that the burglar entered the home with ill-intent -- even now, after the burglar is dead and the 78 year old man has been arrested -- it is impossible to know what the burglar would have done if allowed to continue. Perhaps he would have killed the witnesses? Must the homeowner wait to find out?

That's the thing - when you're talking about someone coming into the rooms where you sleep, poop and eat, people tend to place a fairly high burden on the person invading as to why, and people tend to naturally want to afford the homeowner or home dweller a wide range of discretion to deal with such situations without having a burden thrust upon them which they did nothing to invite.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Canada's rule is that force, up to and including lethal force may be used in defence of one's life or "peaceably" possessed property or the defence of another's life or "peaceably" possessed property, and is not considered an offence so long as the person believes that force is being used against them in the case of self-defence, that someone is about to or has broken into or damaged property in the case of defence of property, that they are acting in defence of themselves, someone else or "peaceably" possessed property, and that the act is reasonable in the circumstances.

So long as the person "believes..." So, if a 78 year old man believes he is using reasonable force to defend himself or his house (which the burglar just "broke into or damaged"), then he's not guilty of a crime. Sounds pretty fair, and that's consistent with English common law, isn't it?

I don't think in Canada or England a person has a "duty to retreat" in their own home. In England, they repealed the "duty to retreat" even in public, as long as the person claiming self-defense is in a place they are lawfully entitled to be.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm not Anglo-Saxon. I'm a fucking Celt. Mess with me and I'll chop you to fucking pieces and feed you to the pigs.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Rum wrote:pErv is right. But it is wrong to assume that a more 'robust' approach to defending yourself from nasty people is somehow carried over into the justice system. The adversarial system has its weaknesses, but it also has one major strength which magistrate Inquisition does not and that is the presumption of innocence. The British system (which much of the world has copied) would rather see ten guilty people go free than one innocent person get locked up.
Who has copied the British system outside the Anglo-Saxon sphere of influence?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Who's copied the European system outside of colonial European sphere of influence?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:28 pm

In the UK a burglar is unlikely to be carrying a firearm, but in the US that's probably not a safe assumption to make. You might not be able to justify killing a burglar simply for violating your property rights, but when it comes to defending yourself and your family applyiing the threat of lethal force and answering questions later doesn't seem that unreasonable.

The Tony Martin case in the UK highlighted the difference here. Shooting a would-be burglar in the back with a shotgun as they were running away was not considered justifiable in kaw on either property rights or self-defence grounds - despite an outcry from the right-leaning media at his conviction for murder (which wss later commuted to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility).

Tony Martin case (Wiki).
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Who has copied the British system outside the Anglo-Saxon sphere of influence?
The Anglo-Saxon sphere of influence is like half the world, and that's probably an understatement of "sphere of influence." At its height 1 in 4 humans was a subject of the British crown, and 1/4 of the world's landmass was property of England. I daresay, there isn't much that can be said to have been "outside" the Anglo-Saxon "sphere of influence."

Saxons are historically Germanic, by the way. The current royal family are Germans, having changed their name for public relations purposes in and around World War 1 to make sure the Brits knew that the royals were really Brit. Windsor was an adopted name about 100 years ago. The Royals really wanted to distance themselves from the bad guys.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Pensioner arrested over fatal stabbing of 'burglar' freed without charge
Richard Osborn-Brooks to face no further action over death of intruder at his London home
Yep a great message is sent out.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 pm

You'd be hard pressed to claim self-defense here if you shot someone in the back while they were running away. Cop once told me that if I ever shot someone outside the house to drag them in and shoot them again, nobody would ask questions.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:31 pm

An interesting side issue for me is the difference in attitudes to property in the UK versus the USA.

My daughter toured several of the USA's National Parks with her boyfriend a couple of years ago. They spent about 6 weeks going right across America to see them and hike - mostly camping. She had a wonderful time incidentally.

She is, like me, a great one for hiking, but whereas here in the UK most land is free to the public to roam on (the 'right to roam' is a big thing here), she was very struck by signs everywhere, even in quite remote areas of the USA announcing 'private property' with warnings about what might happen to you if you trespassed.

Trespass laws in the UK are very loose and vague, but basically if you don't harm someone's land nobody is going to do anything if you walk where you want. In the USA it appears one risks being shot!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:07 pm

I think the main difference in the US is that there has traditionally been plenty of non-private land around to roam on. Also, if a private landowner allows people to roam on their land, they are subject to liability if someone gets injured on the land. The landowner may not care much if you trot around on their land or hike, but he has to post some sort of bill or sign so that he can show that he's not inviting people onto his property, or allowing them to do do.

Some states are enacting recreational use statutes to absolve landowners from liability if they let people use the property. And, in like Florida, there are rules that allow people to trod on beaches, from the water to the high tide mark, so that the beaches aren't blocked and people can use them.

I think small countries where land is not plentiful tend to have more freedom to roam rules.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Pensioner arrested over fatal stabbing of 'burglar' freed without charge
Richard Osborn-Brooks to face no further action over death of intruder at his London home
I agree, a civilized country should be sure to protect its innocent civilians, particularly the elderly and the infirm, children, etc.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Pensioner arrested over fatal stabbing of 'burglar' freed without charge
I agree, a civilized country should be sure to protect its innocent civilians, particularly the elderly and the infirm, children, etc.
As I've got older I've got more receptive to grandfather rights for the elderly. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 am

What so we want?
-- Rights for the elderly.
When do we want them?
-- Have I had my dinner yet?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT