This is what systemic racism looks like.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

This is what systemic racism looks like.

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Make sure you watch the animation at the link.
Extensive Data Shows Punishing
Reach of Racism for Black Boys

By EMILY BADGER, CLAIRE CAIN MILLER, ADAM PEARCE and KEVIN QUEALY MARCH 19, 2018

Black boys raised in America, even in the wealthiest families and living in some of the most well-to-do neighborhoods, still earn less in adulthood than white boys with similar backgrounds, according to a sweeping new study that traced the lives of millions of children.

White boys who grow up rich are likely to remain that way. Black boys raised at the top, however, are more likely to become poor than to stay wealthy in their own adult households.

Even when children grow up next to each other with parents who earn similar incomes, black boys fare worse than white boys in 99 percent of America. And the gaps only worsen in the kind of neighborhoods that promise low poverty and good schools.

According to the study, led by researchers at Stanford, Harvard and the Census Bureau, income inequality between blacks and whites is driven entirely by what is happening among these boys and the men they become. Though black girls and women face deep inequality on many measures, black and white girls from families with comparable earnings attain similar individual incomes as adults.
{cont}
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... k-men.html
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: This is what systemic racism looks like.

Post by Seabass » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

But.. but rEv, don't you know there are some shouty feminists and soy boys on college campuses? Why concern yourself with systemic racism when there are far more Problematic Stuffs to worry about?!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Cunt will pop along in a sec and explain ask for examples of black kids doing better than white kids at stuff white kids are good at.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 pm

And we all know what Tyrannical will say...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:38 am

Rum wrote:Cunt will pop along in a sec and explain ask for examples of black kids doing better than white kids at stuff white kids are good at.
I suspect Cunt is too scared after the roasting he got in his 'men are better than teh womenz' thread.

This was more aimed at 42 and his misunderstanding of how a society can be racist in outcome (systemic) despite it being systematically not-racist, largely. It's also a good example of white privilege.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:12 am

pErvinalia wrote:I suspect Cunt is too scared after the roasting he got in his 'men are better than teh womenz' thread.
London to a brick that he is not at all scared because he feels he got the better of you lot with every one of his posts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 am

Probably.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:57 am

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:21 am

The world isn't fair. Sucks doesn't it? 1% of the people owning around 30% of the resources? including access to education.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:41 am

cronus wrote:The world isn't fair.
Therefore it should always be unfair? :ask:

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:03 am

pErvinalia wrote:
It always has been and every effort to change that has backfired, producing hell on Earth. Rationalia isn't gonna change anything.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:18 am

What rubbish. There were about one billion people in the world living in such poverty 200 years ago. The difference is that then they accounted for about four out of five people in the world, while today they account for one in five. Huge progress has been made. There's more to do of course an there are too many people period.

Here's an analysis. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/ ... nd-future/

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:02 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Benford's Law can't be mapped to social injustice anyway. Crumple's logic may be valid in some other universe, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:05 pm

I didn't watch the video or look up the law. I assumed that because it came from Crumple it probably had absolutely nothing to do with the topic. :read:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 pm

The OP article is quite interesting.

The article suggests that not only do poor African Americans fair worse than poor whites, but also more affluent African Americans fair worse than their white peers in the same group. The article offers one (actually more than one) explanation, several paragraphs down from the portion quoted in the OP, and that is the percentage of single parent homes in the black communities vs. single parent homes in the white communities, together with the issue of rates of criminality in the black community, and the overall disparity in class/poverty levels (even where a black family may be affluent, the sad thing is that much of the extended portion of that family will not be in the same affluence level or class).

The familial issue, though - not having a two parents at home -- seems to be an influencing factor, pursuant to the article.

The data seems quite extensive. And, it deserves some serious looking into. However, the article does not suggest that there is racism in these affluent communities which is applied directly to the black kids in that community. The suggestion is that the data overall implies that racism must be the causative factor, and not class. In favor of that assertion, the article says that if it was class that was at issue, then poor whites would have the same chance of doing well as poor blacks, but the poor whites are dooing better, and the affluent whites and blacks would also have the same chance of staying affluent, which the data says they don't.

However, the article offers a non-racist explanation, but then ignores it - which is the cultural differences, highlighted by the far higher rate of single parent households (the article refers to the lack of fathers specifically). This seems to afford one non-racial factor (unless the reality is that the reason the black community tends to not have fathers present in the same percentages as whites and asians is a result of racism...) for the disparity. The article mentions Asians as doing phenomenally well too - but, one thing that is true also of that community is a culture of a family unit that stays together. Unfortunately, in the US (not sure of how it is in Europe or elsewhere), the black community is shattered and intact family units are the minority, not the norm.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar