Reparations for slavery

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Reparations for slavery

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Imagine the US has a problem of inequality between blacks and whites, and that this problem exist as a result of its history of slavery and ongoing racism. Now, they get together to decide how best to remedy the situation, and in the middle of the conversation some crazy Canadian barges in demanding to know what ought to be done about his Chinese problem. Do we need to address his concerns? Do we need to address them in order to address our own problems?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Imagine the US has a problem of inequality between blacks and whites, and that this problem exist as a result of its history of slavery and ongoing racism. Now, they get together to decide how best to remedy the situation, and in the middle of the conversation some crazy Canadian barges in demanding to know what ought to be done about his Chinese problem. Do we need to address his concerns? Do we need to address them in order to address our own problems?
I was gently hinting, but let me be more direct.

Your USA enslaved the Chinese in the building of their railroads, too.

So if there is a problem of inequality between blacks, whites and chinese, what remedy would look fair? Some of those Chinese families are descendants of both slaveowners and slaves. Does that come into play?

Is it ok to punish the descendants of some racial groups by not allowing them access to reparations?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 pm

You seem to have a problem facing the inequality of blacks in the US as a result of slavery and racism. Perhaps you should read some of the material that has been provided in this thread regarding that issue.

Here are just a few bits:

Blacks make up less than 15% of the population but nearly 40% of the prison population.
Blacks have the lowest rate of home ownership
Blacks earn fewer college degrees
Blacks have higher unemployment rates

This inequality is what people arguing for reparations hope to address.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm

The Yellow Peril. Yeah we shat all over the Asians. And the Irish and Italians, and the Vietnamese, and the Polacks, and pretty much everybody who wasn't white, Anglo-Saxon, and protestant.

It was those WASP motherfuckers what done it, so get the dosh from the Episcopalians.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

What is it with you guys? Yeah, your Irish grandpa took shit for a time, but his biggest concern today is how to hide from his embarrassing ass grandson with the clover tats at Christmas.

:lol:

Stop with the fucking red herrings already. Your Asians we shit all over graduate college at a very high rate, have the lowest unemployment rates, and are the highest earners yada, yada... We've never stopped shitting all over blacks in the US and you know it man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Not just red herrings, you also haven't said whether I should get, or give these 'reparations' Maybe both? That would sound like a sensible government approach. I would be taxed extra because of part of my racial heritage, while collecting tax benefits because of other parts.

Will this be a 'quanta of blood' kind of test? Or will we just assume anyone wealthy is guilty, and anyone poor a victim? Another method?

And if the Asians are doing so well, does that mean they weren't slaves? Or something else?

I don't disagree with helping, I'm fond of the universal mincome idea as a matter of fact, but fairly. Not racist.

I like it best of all when all the rights are available to everyone, regardless of race claims or facts.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 pm

:lol:

I'm not guilty. I'm not responsible for slavery or the racism that persist in the US. I'm voting for my tax dollars --and others, sorry no way to avoid that-- being spent to address the inequality of blacks in the US.

I thought I did a good job explaining this earlier? I'm afraid my nature is going to take over and I wont be able to do better than the reasonable approach I took earlier. :cheers:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Sean Hayden wrote::lol:

I'm not guilty. I'm not responsible for slavery or the racism that persist in the US. I'm voting for my tax dollars --and others, sorry no way to avoid that-- being spent to address the inequality of blacks in the US.

I thought I did a good job explaining this earlier? I'm afraid my nature is going to take over and I wont be able to do better than the reasonable approach I took earlier. :cheers:
I understand. With my support of a 'mincome', I think I am doing MUCH more to stop current slavery, and a bit more fairly.

For example, you didn't mention how you would sort people. Where do I fall into this?

It makes sense that you tap taxes for this, but who can get these benefits, and how are they sorted? Should I be able to apply?

Doesn't it make more sense to raise the floor for everyone, rather than squabbling about wealthy vs wealthier?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Offer reparations and the number of people "identifying"
as black will skyrocket,
lol:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm

:lol: You still haven't read the recommendations posted earlier.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 am

Fair enough, but you have failed to sway my vote in favour of this - because it IS racist.

Systemic microracism is beneath the notice of most, I would guess.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:00 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:Reparations for slavery are not punishment. You would not be punished. You are being asked to address and correct the effects of racism directed at African Americans in the US.

Just check out the recommendations from the link I provided earlier. Where do you see yourself being punished in all of that?
actually, asking the descendents of the white folks to pay reparations for misdeeds (slavery) that their own ancestors may or may not have had anything to do with, IS punishing them for stuff they have no direct connection with
What white folks would be asked to pay for it? :ask:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:02 am

Sean Hayden wrote:Imagine the US has a problem of inequality between blacks and whites, and that this problem exist as a result of its history of slavery and ongoing racism. Now, they get together to decide how best to remedy the situation, and in the middle of the conversation some crazy Canadian barges in demanding to know what ought to be done about his Chinese problem. Do we need to address his concerns? Do we need to address them in order to address our own problems?
He's throwing red-herrings to avoid actually addressing the core issue.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 am

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Even if that 'benefit' benefits society?
Sure. Some people thought segregation benefited society. Whether something is a benefit depends on one's goals and viewpoint as to what is good or bad for society. Even if a racist policy were to to be a benefit to society under some people's conception of what is good for society, that doesn't make the policy not racist.
Or you could look to data rather than relying on comparative moral relativism. More equal societies do better than less equal societies. Would you prefer to live in the former or the latter, and if you're not prepared to play a part in that, then who will play your part for you?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 am

I think that a more general look at ways to reduce inequality is going to have a better chance of real success than the clearly divisive and problematic concept of reparations.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!