Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:07 am

Forty Two wrote: What do they do in Oz? Illegal immigrants come in, birth babies, and are legalized?
I'm not sure. Australia is fairly unique in that people can't just walk into our country (or take a short boat ride without being noticed), so the majority of illegal immigrants in our country are those who overstay their visas. If you are already here and get pregnant, unless you don't use the health service until the point the baby pops out, you are going to be known to be illegal (and pregnant) well before that point. The numbers involved are going to be pretty small, so I'd argue for it not being a problem to grant citizenship to "anchor babies" here.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Irish Deportation of Undocumented Immigrants

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Indeed, the context may be quite different in Oz. And, context matters. While most people, including Republicans commenting on the topic, sympathize with children who have been in-country for many years through no fault of their own, there is a policy interest in not having birthing or siring a baby in the US as a get-out-of-deportation-free card. I mean, it's not unreasonable to want people to follow immigration law when coming into the country. The US immigration laws are not oppressive or excessive. They are quite welcoming. However, the US is entitled to have a system, and that system does not have to be "anyone who manages to get knocked up here can stay."

If the key feature is that the US generously affords citizenshp to people born on our soil, then perhaps it's time to change that. I find the argument that the human rights of people on US soil depend on whether the US affords citizenship at birth or not, but if that is the issue, then it may be time for the US to join other civilized nations in the world and deny citizenshp unless one or both of the parents are themselves American citizens. Then the anchor baby argument would be that the kid is not a citizen, so the whole lot goes back home.

I don't think that changes, however, the issue of a kid in the country for 10 years. That kid still was not in Mexico or wherever for his or her life. We need to have resources allocated to more swiftly remove people when they enter illegally.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar