Magic mushrooms

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Magic mushrooms

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

And he did make them drink his blood and eat his flesh. Hey, I think you're onto something.

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:And he did make them drink his blood and eat his flesh. Hey, I think you're onto something.

:hehe:
Water-walking explained as well.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 pm

DRSB wrote:Thanks!
I am wondering about these mushrooms though! Animals eat them too, what is the effect on them?

And Gesalt sounds great!
They may be making the psilocybin as a toxin, to deter animals from eating them.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:31 am

DRSB wrote:Nice induction, Brian!
It is even more complicated across languages. There is this nice word "mind" in English, there is no equivalent in German. You can try to convey it by saying Geist, Vernunft, Verstand, depending on the context, but none of these is really what the mind in English covers. Not even Hermit can help here.
You're right. There is no single expression in the German language that covers the meaning of "the mind" in English. Here is a list of some of the many words German speaking people may use when translating English sentences containing the expression "inside the mind". It creates great difficulties translating the works of Freud, Jung, et al..

The situation is analogous to Inuits, Yupiks and Sami not having a word for snow as such, but dozens of words for particular types and aspects of it.

Perhaps the closest the German language comes to an equivalent of "the mind" is the metaphoric use of "das Gehirn" (the brain) and "der Kopf" (the head).

ETA: And I just found out that the Sami have a thousand words for "reindeer". :levi: For instance, “leami” means a short, fat female reindeer, “njirru” is an unmanageable female, “snarri” is a reindeer whose antlers are short and branched and a bull with a single, very large testicle is a “busat.”
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:03 am

Busat is going to be my new snarky putdown word: Next time someone tries to upsell me something i'd never buy at a checkout, "Don't be such a busat - just give me my change already."
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:23 am

Hermit wrote:
DRSB wrote:Nice induction, Brian!
It is even more complicated across languages. There is this nice word "mind" in English, there is no equivalent in German. You can try to convey it by saying Geist, Vernunft, Verstand, depending on the context, but none of these is really what the mind in English covers. Not even Hermit can help here.
You're right. There is no single expression in the German language that covers the meaning of "the mind" in English. Here is a list of some of the many words German speaking people may use when translating English sentences containing the expression "inside the mind". It creates great difficulties translating the works of Freud, Jung, et al..

The situation is analogous to Inuits, Yupiks and Sami not having a word for snow as such, but dozens of words for particular types and aspects of it.

Perhaps the closest the German language comes to an equivalent of "the mind" is the metaphoric use of "das Gehirn" (the brain) and "der Kopf" (the head).

ETA: And I just found out that the Sami have a thousand words for "reindeer". :levi: For instance, “leami” means a short, fat female reindeer, “njirru” is an unmanageable female, “snarri” is a reindeer whose antlers are short and branched and a bull with a single, very large testicle is a “busat.”
I've had my most of my hypnosis training in English but I do it mostly in German so I find myself translating all the time such untranslatable things. The conscious-unconscious mind dissociation is a biggie in English. "The conscious mind is not conscious of the unconscious mind that is aware of so much more than the conscious mind." (But of course, this is a metaphor too, we have one mind.) Can you translate this sentence for me, Hermit?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:53 am

Perhaps: unter Gehirn / über Gehirn. :dunno:

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 pm

DRSB wrote:The conscious-unconscious mind dissociation is a biggie in English. "The conscious mind is not conscious of the unconscious mind that is aware of so much more than the conscious mind." (But of course, this is a metaphor too, we have one mind.) Can you translate this sentence for me, Hermit?
What do you mean with the unconscious mind being aware of so much more than the conscious mind? To me awareness is by definition limited to the domain of the conscious mind. So, sorry, I cannot translate this. Not even into English.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
DRSB wrote:The conscious-unconscious mind dissociation is a biggie in English. "The conscious mind is not conscious of the unconscious mind that is aware of so much more than the conscious mind." (But of course, this is a metaphor too, we have one mind.) Can you translate this sentence for me, Hermit?
What do you mean with the unconscious mind being aware of so much more than the conscious mind? To me awareness is by definition limited to the domain of the conscious mind. So, sorry, I cannot translate this. Not even into English.
What part of you is aware of how you are standing and knows how to adjust your muscles to keep you erect and keep you from falling?
Animals are aware of things too: of motion, for example, is this consciousness?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes, but perhaps the majority of your experience is the product of the unconscious mind. You navigate a world much richer than your awareness can accommodate afterall, by having all sorts of assumptions made for you. So your mind has a very rich model, or at least something like that, which in that sense can be said to "know" more about the world than you're aware of at any given moment.

It knows what color the vase is supposed to be... :nervous:

edit: in reply to Hermit

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 pm

DRSB wrote:
Hermit wrote:
What part of you is aware of how you are standing and knows how to adjust your muscles to keep you erect and keep you from falling?
Um, yeah, I suppose we need not be conscious of any of this without accomplishing that task. Same with breathing or keeping the heart beating. So what?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 pm

In Dutch you would use "geest". "Binnen de geest" is inside the mind.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:05 pm

The unconscious mind keeps track of things in order to keep us alive, you may call this unconscious awareness, or simply the unconscious mind, some use other-than-conscious mind, for lack of better words, on some levels a lot more is going on than we are conscious of, none of it is conserved in fossils though, neither conscious nor unconscious so ultimately we cannot prove what difference the mushrooms have made.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Maybe not. But I would think that similarities between us and other animals would allow a reasonable study of the evolution of consciousness; just like the various versions of the eye allow us to study its evolution. :dunno: An even more exciting prospect might be to use brain simulations. Have you heard of the Blue Brain project?
The Blue Brain Project is an attempt to reverse engineer the human brain and recreate it at the cellular level inside a computer simulation.
--how cool is that, eh?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Pretty cool.

But you do know that you're the simulation don't you?
:|

Frank Zappa