Are You A Living Coffin?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Are You A Living Coffin?

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Set in your ways or done something new in the previous few months?

Which is it?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Are You A Living Coffin?

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Drawing, guitar, fishing, programming, attempting to learn how to do proper research -lol- and starting school again.

I've always taken on too much --a shabby coffin.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 pm

The coffin has wifi and coffee on tap. Growth and progress are an illusion. We are all just worm brunch.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 am

Living coffin.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 am

When I was a smoker, it was definitely a case of living coughin'
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am

I have finished the Ingress Exo5 controller challenge on the first day by building 2000 control fields within six hours on Monday night last week. Great accomplishment.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:26 am

You should make a post about whatever this weird shit is you do. I'm somewhat (only moderately) intrigued.. :coffee:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 am

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 am

I'm mostly living coffin, the most 'new' thing I did recently was to join a new gaming group that uses English rather than French as a medium...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

If one is lucky work offers a reason to get up in the morning, a motivation and the illusion of purpose. If one is luckier stuill that illusory purpose helps make things a little bit better for others.

I have discovered that when one no longer works that illusion disappears quite rapidly. This can be why the first year or two of retirement can be so difficult for some people - it was for me.

Gradually however you forget all about purpose, meaning and reason and live more or less in the day. I fill my day quite happily, except for the ocassional day like today when it is raining so hard I can't go out and the fucking plumber didn't turn the water back on properly yesterday so I can't have a shower! Bastard!..

ahem..my day, as I say, is busy if humdrum. I walk my dogs about three miles a day, do the housework, shop, see to my old mum and go off to the Lake District and Scotland armed with my camera regularly. I play World of Warcraft and other games too. I made a rule not to watch TV in the daytime and except the news while I am having my lunch (if I am at home) I stick to that. I'm not complaining.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 am

Rum wrote:If one is lucky work offers a reason to get up in the morning, a motivation and the illusion of purpose. If one is luckier stuill that illusory purpose helps make things a little bit better for others.

I have discovered that when one no longer works that illusion disappears quite rapidly. This can be why the first year or two of retirement can be so difficult for some people - it was for me.

Gradually however you forget all about purpose, meaning and reason and live more or less in the day. I fill my day quite happily, except for the ocassional day like today when it is raining so hard I can't go out and the fucking plumber didn't turn the water back on properly yesterday so I can't have a shower! Bastard!..

ahem..my day, as I say, is busy if humdrum. I walk my dogs about three miles a day, do the housework, shop, see to my old mum and go off to the Lake District and Scotland armed with my camera regularly. I play World of Warcraft and other games too. I made a rule not to watch TV in the daytime and except the news while I am having my lunch (if I am at home) I stick to that. I'm not complaining.
Survive the first six months of retirement/divorce/disability/marriage etc and the remainder is a doddle. Like to think my presence got you through those depressing months - having something to battle against gives meaning when it can't be found any other way.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am

Rum wrote:If one is lucky work offers a reason to get up in the morning, a motivation and the illusion of purpose. If one is luckier stuill that illusory purpose helps make things a little bit better for others.

Retirement came naturally to me, on one hand I was forcibly retired on invalidity pension in part because I could no longer work, and had in fact not worked for a couple years already, sol there was little change.
On the other, I had lost any illusion as to my work having a purpose and making life better for anyone since around 1999...
my days are not so busy as your's rum, I watch my forums on the internet, and watch videos or play computer games, I listen to the radio (much more intellectually stimulating than the telly I cast away 20 years ago because it was turning me into a zombie), and I go to the pub for drinks and company... on lucky days, I see more people or go meet friends for a game of Dungeons and Dragons (or some similar pastime)...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 am

I agree with you about Radio Svarty. We are blessed here with commercial free BBC channels - and lots of them. Radio 2 for mainstream music, Radio 6 for really good modern music, Radio 3 for classical Music. Then there radio 4 - the 'serious' news and all round shows, Radio 4 Extra - a real gem which plays old radio comedy and drama from the last 50 years. Radio Five Live is talk shows all day. The World Service isn't bad either though there's quite a lot of propaganda on it I would say.

All available on the internet too if anyone is interested in looking them up.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 am

Crumple wrote:Set in your ways or done something new in the previous few months?

Which is it?
Being set in one's ways does not mean one is living in a coffin. Not necessarily anyway. I feel alive no matter how many times I listen to my favourite pieces of music or eat my favourite food. Doing something new, on the other hand, can become an unsuccessful attempt to stave off ennui. I think you are presenting a false dichotomy, Crumple.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am

NineBerry wrote:
A bit like this Australian pastime... :)