Terrible things seen on the road

Dworkin

Terrible things seen on the road

Post by Dworkin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 am

Folks,

Sometimes we see terrible things while driving.

This is mine – yesterday. In Asda/Walmart car park there was a young lad sitting on the kerb with his head in his hands, staring down at his feet. Next to him was an enduro off road motorcycle, with no number plate. Standing over him were two police officers, one phoning somewhere and the other writing up the citation.

The lad had the body language of despair, and it was obvious from his look that he wasn’t legal. The lack of number plate was enough evidence of that, probably no insurance, MOT, or even driving licence. As the police couldn’t verify the ownership of the bike, they would have to take it in and probably arrest the lad. He was facing the whole book.

I’m not a judgemental type and we have all made mistakes in our lives. I was very sorry to see this lad facing up to his mistake.

D.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Terrible things seen on the road

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 am

Sounds like he had that sinking feeling of despair we've probably all had at one point or another, when you know you've royally fucked up.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

devogue

Post by devogue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am

I saw a squelched bird this morning. :(

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:19 am

I saw a 1980s Austin Maxi on the road a couple of days ago.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

I saw a guy on a scooter with a very loud exhaust pipe... those things ought to be severely repressed.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 am

I remember when I was a kid, my Dad and I used to, not infrequently, drive from one side of the country to the other. On one of our trips we were approaching a narrow bridge on the "highway" (as much as it could be called that back then), and a big semi-trailer was approaching from the other way. The bridge was wide enough (just) that we could both fit through there. The disconcerting thing was that there was a heron of some sort standing right in the middle of our lane right in the middle of this bridge. We could see the silly thing from about 100 metres out. Herons look like this:

This thing is standing there side on with its head held high, doing god knows what. So we had a great view of it as we eventually ploughed straight into its head. The stupid didn't even move. What made it seem all the more worse was that we didn't really connect with its body, as it was below the level of the bumper bar. So all I could imagine was this poor bird not only suffering from an horrendous death, but getting the worst case of whiplash at the same time. :ddpan:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Returning from Canberra to Sydney one night I saw one headlight of an oncoming car disappear, then some sparks and a barrel bouncing into the distance. The barrel turned out to be a Diesel tank. It also turned out that the driver of the oncoming car gradually veered into the path of the truck ahead of mine, bent the truck's front axle out of alignment by about 20 degrees and smashed the tank off the chassis rail. The car flipped onto its roof, slid into the bushes and came to rest upright. I came to a stop with my truck's headlights shining right on it. The driver, an elderly lady, was dead. Her passenger was her nephew, in his early or mid twenties, had a bump on his head. He was non-compus mentis. The driver of the truck she hit was still in his cab when I approached him, and about to light a cigarette. I told him that in view of the Diesel smell from his ruptured tank all around us, this was probably not a good idea, then offered him the use of my phone. Few people had mobile phones then, and there was no cell coverage in this spot anyway. Just the same, a siren could be heard a few minutes later. Ambulance. The cops arrived soon after. The truck driver told me that he had made the trip between the Sydney fish markets in Pyrmont and his shop in his four ton Isuzu chiller six nights a week for 23 years without a single incident.

After exchanging the necessaries and informing the cops about whatever I could tell them regarding the accident I resumed my journey home. With 270 kilometres to go it should be done in well under three hours at this time of the night. It took almost four, and at one stage I noticed that I had my seatbelt clipped on even though that was not mandatory when driving a truck at that time and I had therefore not ever bothered using them while driving trucks. With suspension seats seat belts were a bit of a nuisance until later on when someone had the bright idea of anchoring them to the seats themselves rather than to the cab. I cannot recall actually putting it on, but there I was wearing it. I noticed when I eventually became aware of the swishing sound the retractor made whenever I reached for the gear lever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Dworkin wrote:Folks,

Sometimes we see terrible things while driving.

This is mine – yesterday. In Asda/Walmart car park there was a young lad sitting on the kerb with his head in his hands, staring down at his feet. Next to him was an enduro off road motorcycle, with no number plate. Standing over him were two police officers, one phoning somewhere and the other writing up the citation.

The lad had the body language of despair, and it was obvious from his look that he wasn’t legal. The lack of number plate was enough evidence of that, probably no insurance, MOT, or even driving licence. As the police couldn’t verify the ownership of the bike, they would have to take it in and probably arrest the lad. He was facing the whole book.

I’m not a judgemental type and we have all made mistakes in our lives. I was very sorry to see this lad facing up to his mistake.

D.
I don't think it's terrible that some lunatic boy racer has been taken off the roads before he can kill someone. These scrambler bikes are an absolute plague and menace around these parts.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm

I was halfway home on the motorway tonight when a mosquito the size of a sparrow rose up in front of my face.

Does that count?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 pm

It's not all bad on the road - the best feeling of schadenfreude I ever had was on the road. A hoon in a loud car came up from behind, well over the speed limit, weaved in and out of traffic, disappearing into the distance. A few km further on, the very same car was stopped on the side of the road behind a police car, lights flashing...

:yes:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Dworkin

Post by Dworkin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 pm

pErvin wrote:Sounds like he had that sinking feeling of despair we've probably all had at one point or another, when you know you've royally fucked up.
pErvin,

You've said it better than I could. This lad's body language was such a rare thing to see in pubic, and yet immediately obvious, to me anyway.

D.