The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/concep ... 330439.pdf
Anatomical penises may exist, but as pre-operative transgendered women
also have anatomical penises, the penis vis-à-vis maleness is an incoherent construct.
We argue that the conceptual penis is better understood not as an anatomical
organ but as a social construct isomorphic to performative toxic masculinity.
Through detailed poststructuralist discursive criticism and the example of climate
change, this paper will challenge the prevailing and damaging social trope that
penises are best understood as the male sexual organ and reassign it a more fitting
role as a type of masculine performance.
We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations.
An explicit isomorphic relationship exists between the conceptual penis and the most problematic themes in toxic masculinity, and that relationship is mediated by the machismo braggadocio aspect of male hypermasculine thought and performance. A change in our discourses in science, technology, policy, economics, society, and various communities is needed to protect marginalized groups, promote the advancement of women, trans, and gender-queer individuals (including non-gendered and gender-skeptical people), and to remedy environmental impacts that follow from climate change driven by capitalist and neocapitalist overreliance on hypermasculine themes and exploitative utilization of fossil fuels.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Clearly a pisstake.

I think...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 2:55 pm

pErvin wrote:Clearly a pisstake.
Ayup. Sokal revisited.

I bet 4.2 hoped it was a fair dinkum article by the "far-leftists".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 pm

LOL - it was entertaining Poe. The interesting bit is that it actually got published in a "peer reviewed" social science publication called Cogent Social Science.
we wrote an absurd paper loosely composed in the style of post-structuralist discursive gender theory. The paper was ridiculous by intention, essentially arguing that penises shouldn’t be thought of as male genital organs but as damaging social constructions. We made no attempt to find out what “post-structuralist discursive gender theory” actually means. We assumed that if we were merely clear in our moral implications that maleness is intrinsically bad and that the penis is somehow at the root of it, we could get the paper published in a respectable journal.

This already damning characterization of our hoax understates our paper’s lack of fitness for academic publication by orders of magnitude. We didn’t try to make the paper coherent; instead, we stuffed it full of jargon (like “discursive” and “isomorphism”), nonsense (like arguing that hypermasculine men are both inside and outside of certain discourses at the same time), red-flag phrases (like “pre-post-patriarchal society”), lewd references to slang terms for the penis, insulting phrasing regarding men (including referring to some men who choose not to have children as being “unable to coerce a mate”), and allusions to rape (we stated that “manspreading,” a complaint levied against men for sitting with their legs spread wide, is “akin to raping the empty space around him”). After completing the paper, we read it carefully to ensure it didn’t say anything meaningful, and as neither one of us could determine what it is actually about, we deemed it a success.
My favorite bit is when they referred to "manspreading" as "raping the empty space around him." That's fantastic.
Sokal exposed an infatuation with academic puffery that characterizes the entire project of academic postmodernism. Our aim was smaller yet more pointed. We intended to test the hypothesis that flattery of the academic Left’s moral architecture in general, and of the moral orthodoxy in gender studies in particular, is the overwhelming determiner of publication in an academic journal in the field. That is, we sought to demonstrate that a desire for a certain moral view of the world to be validated could overcome the critical assessment required for legitimate scholarship. Particularly, we suspected that gender studies is crippled academically by an overriding almost-religious belief that maleness is the root of all evil. On the evidence, our suspicion was justified.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... e-journal/
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 24, 2017 3:21 pm

It's not a respected journal, but one where you pay to get published.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:LOL - it was entertaining Poe.
Poe for you. I got barely past the first sentence when I decided to copypaste the authors' names into Google and add "hoax". First link got me what I was looking for.

And yeah, what Neunbeeren said. It's also mentioned in the article.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

It's NeunBeere, not NeunBeeren! I am an individual!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Eine Beere, zwei Beeren, drei Beeren, vier...

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

NeunBeere ist ein Eigenname, so wie Siebenschläfer oder Neuntöter

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Na gut, da hab' ich dir halt 'nen neuen Eigennamen beigeschaft, Kumpel. :razzle:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

It's all a bunch of Kraut pig-latin.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Man spricht Deutsch. Englisch ist nur ein soziales Konstrukt!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 24, 2017 4:50 pm

:funny:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm

C' est ne pas gai!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 24, 2017 5:04 pm

I find it to be so, all my life revolves around a social construct ;)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping